highaltitude.log.20100830

[00:00] <Darkside> hey juxta
[00:00] <Darkside> got my email?
[00:00] SpeedEvil1 (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[00:01] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: Operation timed out
[00:02] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc:
[00:04] Nick change: SpeedEvil1 -> SpeedEvil
[00:12] <juxta> hey Darkside, sure did
[00:12] <juxta> only just got home :)
[00:14] <juxta> ive got a couple things to finish off this morning, then I will start putting photos and tracks etc online
[00:15] <juxta> hey natrium42, if you're around in a little while I'll have a chat to you, I'm thinking of porting the tracker predictor to run offline on our windows based tracking systems :)
[00:24] spacefelix (4a5f30fe@gateway/web/freenode/ip.74.95.48.254) joined #highaltitude.
[01:12] GeekShadow (~Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: Quit: The cake is a lie !
[01:28] <natrium42> juxta, are you on the ukhas google group?
[01:28] <juxta> yes I think so
[01:28] <natrium42> we are discussing next gen tracker/dl client
[01:28] <juxta> oh
[01:28] <juxta> I've not had those mails
[01:31] <juxta> unless they were from a while ago natrium42?
[01:31] <natrium42> nope, quit recent
[01:31] <natrium42> *quite
[01:31] <natrium42> the idea is to have it work offline if connection is unavailable
[01:32] <natrium42> you could help with the effort :)
[01:32] <natrium42> gotta run off for a while, sorry
[01:32] <juxta> I'd love to
[01:32] <natrium42> excellent
[01:32] <juxta> okay - chat to you later :)
[01:32] <natrium42> yep, later
[01:32] <Darkside> man that would be awesome to have..
[01:36] Jasperw (~jasperw@93.89.81.29) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[01:45] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[01:45] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[02:05] spacefelix (4a5f30fe@gateway/web/freenode/ip.74.95.48.254) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[02:21] alikins_ (~adrian@cpe-066-057-101-225.nc.res.rr.com) joined #highaltitude.
[02:40] DrLuke (~luke@pD9E38C16.dip.t-dialin.net) left irc:
[02:41] <alikins_> pics from our first flight last sunday uploading to http://www.flickr.com/photos/alikins/
[02:58] <natrium42> alikins_, you should tag them with gps coords
[02:59] <natrium42> nice pics, those cloud formations look interesting
[03:03] <alikins_> unfortunately, we lost gps tracking, so I could give an estimate, but we don't have the full data
[03:05] <natrium42> ah
[03:09] <Darkside> hmm thats a point
[03:10] <Darkside> i need to make someting to put gps coords and tags on the photos from the horus launch
[03:10] <natrium42> there's a nice tool for it already
[03:10] <Darkside> really?
[03:10] <Darkside> link :P
[03:10] <Darkside> i have the logs and the images
[03:11] <natrium42> http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/
[03:11] <Darkside> hmm
[03:11] <Darkside> the logs arent in NMEA..
[03:11] <natrium42> just convert your log to NMEA or GPX format
[03:12] <alikins_> nice
[03:12] <natrium42> it's very easy using some regex magic
[03:12] Action: natrium42 uses TextPad on windows
[03:15] <alikins_> https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AnbpMcx9jw2KdHctQ21kSlhIY0N3VWwyUWdTTVFsM3c&gid=1
[03:16] <alikins_> camera got pretty hot after landing. I guess sitting in a well insulated box on a hot day taking pics every 15 seconds will do that.
[03:17] <natrium42> did you use a filter in front of the lens?
[03:20] <alikins_> nope
[03:20] <alikins_> looks like we got some frost/condensation on the lens in some of the pics
[03:21] <natrium42> yeah, filter is unnecessary i found
[03:21] <alikins_> pretty much just set to focus at infinity, and auto for everything else
[03:55] <lovelace> alikins_: Nice flickr set!
[03:55] <alikins_> turned out well I think
[03:56] <lovelace> alikins_: I'm uploading zips of both flights (complete sets) but at this point I'm guessing it may take 8-12 hours to finish (2.1GB of data)
[03:56] kerblammo (~dom@a85-156-232-115.elisa-laajakaista.fi) joined #highaltitude.
[03:56] <alikins_> Excellent.
[03:56] <lovelace> (zips to my website so team members can download them.)
[03:56] <lovelace> alikins_: Did you see the one where almost all the antenna is in it. That must have been right after burst.
[03:57] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 272 seconds
[03:58] <alikins_> lovelace: must of been doing some pretty good tumbling
[03:58] <lovelace> Yeah.
[03:58] kerblammo (~dom@a85-156-232-115.elisa-laajakaista.fi) left irc: Client Quit
[03:58] <lovelace> Well, it looked like it was spinning quite a bit on the way up too
[03:59] <alikins_> Wonder what the altitude was
[03:59] <lovelace> Yeah. Sadly no data was stored.
[03:59] <lovelace> That's the advantage of sending up an eTrex: saved tracklog
[04:01] <alikins_> Did anyone post a non facebook gallery of mkII ? Can't seem to find a link now
[04:03] <lovelace> alikins_: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clubjuggler/sets/72157624786512244/
[04:03] <lovelace> alikins_: And my ground pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clubjuggler/sets/72157624802053676/
[04:03] <alikins_> Excellent.
[04:03] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) joined #highaltitude.
[04:05] <lovelace> alikins_: So, 80 minutes up, 20 minutes down?
[04:05] Action: lovelace just read the description on your flickr set
[04:07] <natrium42> <lovelace> That's the advantage of sending up an eTrex: saved tracklog <-- does it work at altitude though?
[04:08] <alikins_> lovelace: yeah, thats my guess. Little hard to tell by the photos only, but I'd say thats right +/- 5 minutes
[04:11] <lovelace> natrium42: See #3 on the list - http://arhab.org/science/science/gpspass.html
[04:11] <lovelace> natrium42: In addition, the eTrex Vista has a barometric altimeter
[04:11] <natrium42> ah, awesome
[04:12] <lovelace> alikins_: So, I wonder if that translates into about 80k feet again?
[04:15] <alikins_> I'm not sure. To me, it doesn't look like mkI got as high as mkII (which given the weight, makes sense)
[04:19] <alikins_> bedtime
[04:33] Action: juxta just filtered the output from a commercial radiosonde - amazed how many bad GPS positions were in there
[04:36] <Darkside> juxta: eh?
[04:38] <juxta> that launch we did on Tuesday
[04:38] <juxta> we used a commercial radiosonde as the payload the sydney guys brought over had failed
[04:50] <Darkside> ah ok
[05:31] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) joined #highaltitude.
[05:34] <m1x10> morning ppl
[05:40] <natrium42> o/
[05:55] Cleo (~Cleo@unaffiliated/cleo) left irc: Quit: Lost terminal
[06:03] juxta (juxta@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[06:05] juxta (~juxta@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) joined #highaltitude.
[06:11] <juxta> hey m1x10
[06:12] <juxta> oh dear, the photos of me getting my car bogged on Saturday have surfaced
[06:12] <Darkside> hahah
[06:12] <Darkside> where?
[06:13] <juxta> www.bogaurd.net/bogged.jpg
[06:14] <juxta> yay
[06:14] <Darkside> w00
[06:15] <juxta> I was originally facing to the left of photo
[06:16] <juxta> the idea was to do a many point turn, that was really the only spot we could do it in
[06:16] <juxta> and we almost made it!
[06:18] <Darkside> haha
[06:18] <juxta> hey were there any other photos from launch yesterday Darkside?
[06:19] <Darkside> not many, but i'll send through what i have
[06:19] <juxta> okay cool
[06:19] <juxta> and the video didn't work out? :(
[06:19] <Darkside> nope :(
[06:20] <juxta> ah well
[06:20] <Darkside> dont really have much more than what i've sent you
[06:21] <Darkside> just 2 more that you might be able to use
[06:21] <juxta> no worries
[06:23] <Darkside> http://imgur.com/fBniS.jpg
[06:23] <Darkside> http://imgur.com/LY8WZ.jpg
[06:24] <Darkside> thats pretty much, along with what i've already sent you
[06:25] <juxta> alrighty
[06:27] <Darkside> ok, gotta run off to work
[06:27] <Darkside> il be back online later tonight
[06:27] <juxta> have a good one
[06:47] <Darkside> heh...
[06:47] <Darkside> <3 IRC on my phone...
[07:07] <m1x10> what's the average max altitude commercial jets fly ?
[07:08] <m1x10> (average or max)
[07:12] <juxta> somewhere around 10km
[07:13] <juxta> at least all the flights I've been on have been cruising at around 10-12km
[07:13] <m1x10> thx juxta
[07:13] <m1x10> i found on internet that at most is 15km
[07:13] <m1x10> 50.000ft
[07:15] <m1x10> so I guess its a correct value
[07:23] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[07:53] Upu (~Upu@ubn.upuaut.net) joined #highaltitude.
[08:02] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: Operation timed out
[08:18] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[08:20] fsphil (~phil@beastie.sanslogic.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[08:56] <fsphil> hmm.. I connected my hf antenna to the mic socket on the PC, and I can hear a radio station
[08:57] <juxta> heh
[08:57] <juxta> a broadcast station fsphil?
[08:58] <fsphil> yea, bbc 5 live from the sounds of it
[08:58] <fsphil> there is another station in the background too
[08:58] <fsphil> I was hoping to hear lightning :)
[09:01] <juxta> looks like we forgot to record the repeater the other day fsphil
[09:01] <fsphil> nooo!
[09:01] <juxta> but we're waiting to hear from all the stations that called in to send HAB QSL cards
[09:01] <juxta> we'll fly another repeater soon though!
[09:02] <fsphil> oh congrats on the flights! they look to have been flawless
[09:02] <juxta> yeah they were great
[09:02] <juxta> range on the repeater was awesome
[09:02] <fsphil> did you get many people calling in?
[09:03] <juxta> yeah - we have a bunch on a map on the blog
[09:03] <juxta> but there were more from memory
[09:04] <juxta> range between the 2 furthest stations we noted down was ~1100km
[09:04] <fsphil> just looking at the map now
[09:06] <fsphil> heh, was going to ask why the launch site was in the water. bit slow this morning
[09:06] <juxta> hehe
[09:06] <fsphil> that is brilliant
[09:07] <juxta> worked really well
[09:08] <juxta> we have HD video of the payload coming down on Sunday
[09:08] <fsphil> you didn't try catching it again then? :)
[09:08] <fsphil> that's three you've been near the landing now -- you've got this down to a fine art
[09:09] <juxta> hehe
[09:09] <juxta> 3 times we've seen it come down, maybe next time we can catch it :P
[09:14] <fsphil> how'd you detect the ctcss tone?
[09:16] <juxta> on the repeater you mean?
[09:16] <fsphil> yea
[09:17] <juxta> it was built from a hacked up handheld - so we just programmed it to have CTCSS decode
[09:18] <fsphil> what triggered the recorder?
[09:19] <Upu> Hey juxta morning. Quick Q is this where you got your balloons from ? http://www.yunhuanelectronics.com/Meteorological_Balloon.htm
[09:19] <juxta> we pulled off the SQL open line from the radio's cpu
[09:19] <juxta> and monitored that
[09:19] <juxta> hey Upu, no, not those guys
[09:19] <juxta> their pricing is not very good
[09:20] <Upu> oh ok where did yours come from apparently they are better than the Kaymont ones
[09:20] <juxta> get in touch with Hwoyee via Hwoyee.com
[09:20] <juxta> that's wherer I ordered
[09:20] <juxta> and they seem great
[09:20] <Upu> nice one thanks
[09:21] <juxta> I will contact them regarding importing them in a larger volume
[09:21] <juxta> was amazed at how high I got - both payloads this weekend were launched on 1000g balloons
[09:21] <Upu> Well one of my customers import tonnes of clothes from China every month wondering if I could nick some space amongst the knickers :)
[09:21] <Upu> yeah 35k
[09:22] <juxta> yup, got the top position on the UKHAS altitude record chart, not that I'm actually from the UK :P
[09:22] <Upu> lol
[09:22] <Upu> tis but a small detail :)
[09:22] <Upu> how much did the 1000g cost you ?
[09:22] <juxta> $22USD
[09:23] <Upu> that seems cheap
[09:23] <fsphil> very!
[09:23] <juxta> NGEN
[09:24] <juxta> yeah, the pricing is great
[09:24] <Upu> right might have to have a chat with my Chinese importers
[09:25] <juxta> :)
[09:25] <Upu> anyway back to reality I have to go shopping
[09:25] <Upu> thx and laters
[09:25] <juxta> np - cya Upu
[09:27] Laurenceb (~laurence@host86-137-224-95.range86-137.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:28] <fsphil> just id'd the station in the background -- both are longwave stations
[09:28] <fsphil> sound card must be demodulating them
[09:30] spenguin[work] (~penguin@122.182.0.38) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[09:31] <juxta> fsphil, this is our chase cars at landing:
[09:31] <juxta> http://www.bogaurd.net/horus7/IMG_2715.JPG
[09:31] <fsphil> oh what a picture
[09:31] <m1x10> yeah Darkside showed us this pic
[09:32] <fsphil> what a landscape too!
[09:32] <juxta> green for once
[09:32] <fsphil> how quick did it come down?
[09:33] <m1x10> juxta from Hwoyee.com states 1000 d7.7 750 32000
[09:33] <m1x10> 1000g balloos is up to 32km
[09:33] <juxta> yes, I know
[09:33] <m1x10> how is possible that u reached 35km? lighter stuff?
[09:33] <fsphil> depends on the weight of the payload I suppose
[09:33] <juxta> nope
[09:33] <m1x10> hmm
[09:34] <juxta> i guess their balloons exceed spec
[09:34] <juxta> at least the ones I used
[09:34] <m1x10> whats the weight of your payload?
[09:34] <griffonbot> Received email: T Zaman <timbobel@gmail.com> "Baudot # in rtty string to server"
[09:35] <juxta> horus 6 was almost 1kg, horus 7 was about 500g
[09:35] <juxta> 34km and 35km respectively
[09:36] <m1x10> when saying 1000g balloon what the 1000 is for?
[09:37] <juxta> the weight of the balloon in grams
[09:37] <m1x10> ok
[09:38] <m1x10> maybe you should mail them and ask why with a 1000g balloon you went that high..
[09:38] <m1x10> their answer should be useful, cause I hear many ppl want to try this balloons
[09:38] Action: fsphil is pondering -- I think the ntx2 can be made to do audio. though 10mw wouldn't make a great repeater
[09:39] <jonsowman> oo yes, another launch
[09:39] <jonsowman> was this the repeater?
[09:39] <jonsowman> juxta:
[09:39] <juxta> yes it was jonsowman! :)
[09:39] <jonsowman> how did it go?
[09:39] <juxta> very very well :D
[09:39] <jonsowman> excellent
[09:39] <jonsowman> good to hear
[09:40] <juxta> have a look on the blog, there's a map of some (most?) of the contacts that we logged
[09:40] <jonsowman> will do
[09:40] <juxta> 1100km between the furthest stations
[09:40] <jonsowman> 35k, nice
[09:41] <jonsowman> that's excellent
[09:41] <jonsowman> good work
[09:41] <jonsowman> :D
[09:42] <juxta> :)
[09:42] <juxta> we are going to make a move to relaying car telemetry through the balloon
[09:43] <juxta> and the repeater will probably be an addition to future flights - it was great having comms at all times
[09:43] <jonsowman> yeah I bet
[09:44] <fsphil> did you use the repeater yourselves?
[09:44] <jonsowman> is it just in its own little payload package that you can stick onto the end of the cord?
[09:44] <juxta> amazingly our mission control maintained voice comms through the repeater till about 300 or 500m altitude
[09:44] <juxta> from 200km away
[09:44] <juxta> yeah we did fsphil
[09:44] <juxta> as out in the boondocks where our balloons land we're out of repeater range
[09:44] <juxta> HF is really the only other option - but I dont have HF in my car
[09:48] <juxta> m1x10, it's probably best to ask general HAB questions in this channel
[09:50] <juxta> re the datum though I suggest you leave it as standard - don't forget a bit of altitude inaccuracy is not the end of the world, don't forget your payload is on a string under the balloon, that could easily throw it out by 20-30m
[09:50] <juxta> infact on that repeater payload we had about 100m of line from balloon to the last payload package
[09:50] spenguin[work] (~penguin@59.162.86.164) joined #highaltitude.
[09:51] <fsphil> that's a long line
[09:51] <juxta> we put a lot of space between the telemetry and repeater payloads
[09:52] <juxta> didn't want the RF from the repeater blatting out the telemetry
[09:58] <juxta> fsphil, okay, perhaps not 100m, but rather long: www.bogaurd.net/IMG_0962.JPG
[09:59] <fsphil> it's not far off it
[09:59] <juxta> yeah, we used most of a 100m spool of line
[10:00] <juxta> telemetry was third down
[10:04] Laurenceb (~laurence@host86-137-224-95.range86-137.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[10:14] GeekShadow (~Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[10:30] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:32] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:32] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:33] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:33] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:34] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:34] smea (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:35] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[10:35] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:39] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Ping timeout: 240 seconds
[10:44] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:45] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:45] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:46] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:46] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:47] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:48] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:48] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:49] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:50] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[10:50] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[10:51] alikins_ (~adrian@cpe-066-057-101-225.nc.res.rr.com) left irc: Quit: alikins_
[10:51] <m1x10> Upu, was it your flight with servo controlled camera?
[10:53] <Upu> no Robs Icarus III
[10:53] <Upu> I've yet to fly
[10:53] <Upu> I'm toying with a bullet cam on a servo
[10:53] <Upu> on a boom pointing back at the payload
[10:53] <m1x10> bullet cam?
[10:53] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Ping timeout: 272 seconds
[10:53] <Upu> http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr-h720-bullet-camera-system.html
[10:54] <Upu> with a wide angle lense on it
[10:54] <m1x10> oh its expensive..
[10:55] <Upu> yeah hence the "toying" stage :)
[10:55] <m1x10> :p
[10:55] <Upu> My friend brought me a pile of Powershots round, got a workign A560 and a working A710
[10:55] <m1x10> I also work A480
[10:55] <Upu> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lKmvN-ZjJw
[10:55] <Upu> however I can't work out how to get the screen to turn off
[10:55] <SpeedEvil> unplug
[10:55] <m1x10> use the menu settings
[10:55] <Upu> and it destroyed a pair of batteries in about an hour and a half
[10:56] <SpeedEvil> Or that
[10:56] <Upu> menu settings don't seem to work
[10:56] <Upu> probably going to be unplug :)
[10:56] <m1x10> from menu setting mine is off after 10 sec
[10:56] <SpeedEvil> Also - lower resolution takes less battery
[10:56] <Upu> its set to do that but it doesn't seem to work
[10:56] <fsphil> turn the image preview off, and press the display button -- I think
[10:56] <SpeedEvil> setting it to 2MP or something may be of use.
[10:56] <Upu> image preview is off
[10:56] <Upu> let me that try
[10:56] <m1x10> yes image preview off. it saves 2-3 secs
[10:57] <Upu> durr
[10:57] <Upu> press display and it goes off :)
[10:57] <Upu> that was easy next :)
[10:57] <Upu> thx
[10:57] <m1x10> Upu it doesnt seem that was IcarusIII with servocam
[10:57] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:58] <Upu> sure it was
[10:58] <m1x10> it was something recent
[10:58] <m1x10> No I think it was you with someone else
[10:58] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:58] <Upu> Icarus III was recently it rotated through 180' looking up at the camera and down at the ground
[10:58] <m1x10> arg
[10:58] <m1x10> cant find pivs
[10:58] <m1x10> pics
[10:58] <Upu> http://www.robertharrison.org/icarus/wordpress/28/icarus-iii-launch-1/
[10:59] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[10:59] <m1x10> I want to get an idea of how to stuck the camera to the servo
[10:59] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[10:59] <m1x10> I want pics from payload construction
[10:59] <Upu> the are about 1 sec
[11:00] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[11:00] <SpeedEvil> Duct tape.
[11:00] <Upu> seen them somewhere
[11:00] <m1x10> SpeedEvil, both side duct tape?
[11:01] <SpeedEvil> A little Y shape, with holes through the 'Y' arms, with a rod between them.
[11:01] <SpeedEvil> The servo is connected to the rod.
[11:02] <SpeedEvil> The camera is attached to the rod.
[11:02] <Upu> Can't find it but there is a picture somewhere
[11:02] <SpeedEvil> To make this easier, bend the wire into a Z shape with the camera attached to that, and straight wire ends to go through the hole.
[11:03] <SpeedEvil> Then a little crank on the end that is pushed by the servo arm
[11:04] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[11:05] <Upu> ok DISP doesn't turn the screen off when running the script
[11:07] <m1x10> I think there is an option in chdk where you prevent scripts from manipulating the screen
[11:07] <fsphil> really?
[11:07] <m1x10> uyou better join #chdk
[11:07] <fsphil> lemme dig out my script
[11:08] <m1x10> I have my servo turning 0-180 all the time ! its crazy!
[11:08] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[11:09] <fsphil> Upu, I have this at the start of my script: set_backlight 0
[11:09] <fsphil> I still have to press DISP to turn the screen off, but it doesn't come back on
[11:09] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[11:09] <m1x10> i dont think it will do something
[11:10] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[11:10] <jonsowman> does the camera you're using have a video out port?
[11:10] <jonsowman> if so, just get a plug and whack it in there. turns the screen off
[11:10] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[11:10] <SpeedEvil> Not on my S20
[11:10] <jonsowman> :(
[11:11] <Upu> this does
[11:11] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) joined #highaltitude.
[11:11] <Upu> heh that made my headphones buzz :)
[11:12] <Upu> I'll have a play round after some food bbl
[11:14] <m1x10> food...yes. I forgot to eat last night!
[11:15] <Randomskk> HAB can get rather exciting
[11:15] smealum (~smealum@85-170-63-39.rev.numericable.fr) left irc: Ping timeout: 276 seconds
[11:15] <m1x10> haha
[11:16] <m1x10> with HAB I will forget to join army. then they hunt me!
[11:16] <m1x10> in 5 days must go !
[11:16] <SpeedEvil> :/
[11:17] <m1x10> to make the some papers..not sure when I actually going to join !
[11:17] <m1x10> but it would be around december
[11:17] <SpeedEvil> ah
[11:17] <SpeedEvil> You're in .il?
[11:17] <SpeedEvil> Or .de
[11:17] <SpeedEvil> err
[11:17] <m1x10> .gr
[11:17] <m1x10> :P
[11:17] <SpeedEvil> do I mean .de
[11:31] <W0OTM> woo hoo
[11:31] <W0OTM> made the front page of the local paper today
[11:31] <W0OTM> http://ottumwacourier.com/local/x87451749/High-altitude-snapshots-Helium-balloon-floats-17-miles-high-and-takes-pictures-of-Earth
[11:31] <SpeedEvil> Congrats.
[11:31] <W0OTM> :)
[11:31] <W0OTM> thx
[11:37] <W0OTM> anyone setup an APRS igate before?
[11:41] <m1x10> <s-taylo> Upu: Turn 'Disable LCD off' to no and the screen will turn off according to the power saving settings in the camera: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage#Misc
[12:06] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) left irc: Quit: I eat electrons for breakfast and I vomit thunders
[12:20] juxta (~juxta@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[12:26] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) joined #highaltitude.
[12:27] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) left irc: Client Quit
[12:28] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) joined #highaltitude.
[12:29] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) left irc: Client Quit
[12:29] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) joined #highaltitude.
[12:30] Action: jonsowman superglues juxta's foot to the floor
[12:30] <juxta> :D
[12:31] <Darkside> hahaha
[12:32] <juxta> hey, I have nothing on smealum
[12:32] <jonsowman> that is a fair poinmt
[12:32] <jonsowman> *point
[12:46] timbobel (~timboebl@5ED040EE.cable.ziggo.nl) joined #highaltitude.
[12:46] <timbobel> oh hi
[12:46] <juxta> hey timbobel
[12:48] <timbobel> juxta!
[12:48] <timbobel> wait let me check the site
[12:49] alikins_ (~adrian@cpe-066-057-101-225.nc.res.rr.com) joined #highaltitude.
[12:49] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) joined #highaltitude.
[12:51] <Darkside> hmm
[12:51] <Darkside> juxta: whats the altitude record for an amateur balloon?
[12:51] <timbobel> darkside: friggin high
[12:51] <Darkside> lol
[12:52] <timbobel> http://www.arhab.org/ has the records
[12:52] <juxta> 38 or 39km I think
[12:52] <timbobel> 39.1km
[12:52] <timbobel> 128379ft
[12:52] <Darkside> 39km
[12:52] <timbobel> you'd make >23th place!
[12:52] <Darkside> 20th actually
[12:52] <Darkside> 35354
[12:53] alikins_ (~adrian@cpe-066-057-101-225.nc.res.rr.com) left irc: Client Quit
[12:53] <juxta> :D
[12:53] <juxta> timbobel, 1000g balloon too
[13:02] <juxta> wow, I just received a 41mb email
[13:02] <Darkside> lol wha?
[13:03] <juxta> pics of the launch from the other day
[13:03] <Darkside> horus 6 or 7?
[13:03] <juxta> 6
[13:03] <Darkside> cool
[13:04] <juxta> yeah, not really the best way to send that much data though
[13:06] <timbobel> juxta, again, massive respect for the horusses
[13:06] <timbobel> very nice, congratulations
[13:06] <juxta> thanks timbobel :)
[13:06] <timbobel> ill be launching in 1.5month~
[13:06] <juxta> I didn't understand your comment on the blog the other day though
[13:08] <timbobel> oh yeah
[13:08] <timbobel> i was talking to you
[13:08] <timbobel> and i didnt see you left ;)
[13:09] <timbobel> but what i ment, is that, i saw the prediction
[13:09] <timbobel> and then i saw the actual track (not sure if it was the actual track) and they were very very similar
[13:09] <timbobel> and i asked too if you didnt need a australian ehm.. government approval as you did last time, it took you a long time to get it right
[13:10] <timbobel> and i asked if you thought the fsa03 sucked too, since you had problems with it
[13:10] <timbobel> and from horus 5 the pictures stopped at like 10km it seemd
[13:10] <timbobel> (please answer, im now getting a coffee brrb)
[13:11] <juxta> righto - yes, the flight path was very close to the prediction
[13:11] <juxta> & the approval that I got lasts for 2 years, so no issues for a while still
[13:13] <juxta> and yeah, the photos stopped at perhaps 10km on horus 5 - that payload was put together by another team, I just helped with design of the flight computer & the launch/recovery. The FSA03 on that flight computer got damaged when they put everything together we think - the antenna was snapped off
[13:13] <juxta> I'm not sure why the photos stopped, the camera was off when we found it
[13:13] <juxta> I flew a FSA03 module on Horus 6 & 7 with no issues though :)
[13:17] <Darkside> i think i'm going to wire the ublox module i have into my board, when i get there
[13:18] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) joined #highaltitude.
[13:18] <Darkside> need to make a board first..
[13:21] <juxta> the FSA03 is nice in that it can be soldered directly in without needing a header
[13:21] <Darkside> yeah i've seen a few like that
[13:21] <Darkside> a lecturer at uni made a MPS430 based gps game thingo
[13:21] <Darkside> i think that had something similar to a FSA03 board
[13:21] <Darkside> whats the logic levels on teh FSA03? 3.3v or 5v?
[13:25] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[13:26] <juxta> 3.3v Darkside
[13:27] <Darkside> aha thought so
[13:27] <Darkside> you just shift it up to 5 with a mosfet?
[13:28] <Darkside> also could I get that code? :)
[13:28] <Darkside> gotta port NewSoftSerial to the XMega...
[13:29] Hualon (~Hualon@152.16.144.213) joined #highaltitude.
[13:29] <Darkside> also gotta test my signal gen at -50
[13:29] <Darkside> want to see the drift..
[13:33] <juxta> I run my boards at 3v3 Darkside
[13:33] <juxta> will email you the code
[13:33] <Darkside> oh cool
[13:34] <Darkside> if i'm going to use the xmega, i'll need 3.3v, 5v, and possibly 12v for the amp
[13:34] <Darkside> 3.3v for the xmega, 5v for the signal generator
[13:34] <Darkside> a bit messy..
[13:37] spacefelix (809ecabb@gateway/web/freenode/ip.128.158.202.187) joined #highaltitude.
[13:39] <juxta> the xmega can run at 5 can't it?
[13:39] <Darkside> nope
[13:39] <Darkside> 3.3v only..
[13:39] <Darkside> well, it will go down to 1.8v i think, but the max is 3.5
[13:40] <DanielRichman> Why do you need to port newsoftserial to the xmega? it has so many usarts
[13:40] <Darkside> well true
[13:40] <Darkside> i dont need to
[13:40] <DanielRichman> and they're rediculously easy to use
[13:40] <Darkside> but on the xplain board (which i've been using as a dev platform) i really only have one
[13:40] <DanielRichman> ahh, fair enough. I've got an xplain too ;)
[13:41] <Darkside> yeah not many IO ports on that..
[13:41] <Darkside> i do have the sparkfun breakout too
[13:41] <Darkside> i might end up using that instead, and just wiring it into a board
[13:41] <DanielRichman> sounds more sensible than what I'm doing :P
[13:41] <Darkside> heh
[13:41] <Darkside> well i need 4 IO lines to drive my signal generator chip
[13:42] <Darkside> then as many other ones for whatever else
[13:42] <DanielRichman> if this is the sparkfun breakout that i'm thinking of it has 100 pins?
[13:42] <Darkside> i'm doing the SPI to the signaal gen chip manually (bit-bang) so i can put it anywhere
[13:42] <Darkside> yeah
[13:42] <DanielRichman> again - why not use one of the spi peripherals
[13:42] <DanielRichman> there are loads
[13:42] <Darkside> yeah, i had a go at using it - couldn't end up getting it ti work
[13:42] <DanielRichman> aah.
[13:43] <Darkside> and i already had working bitbang libraries for it
[13:43] <Darkside> its not exactly much more work
[13:43] <Darkside> for all the data modes i use, i only have to program the chip once - then i just switch between frequency registers with a single pin
[13:45] <Darkside> doing things like MFSK will be a bit more interesting, but i'm programming the chip at its speed limit, so it doesnt take long
[13:45] <Darkside> xmega runs at 32MHZ (using internal RC since timing isnt that critical) and programming at 16MHz
[13:46] <Darkside> i do love how you can play with the system clock during runtime
[13:46] <DanielRichman> Oh, I'm using the internal DAC to do dominoex
[13:46] <Darkside> ooooooooooh
[13:46] <Darkside> hellloooo
[13:46] <DanielRichman> http://github.com/danielrichman/avr/blob/master/xplain-x128a1/dac_domex.c
[13:47] <Darkside> is domino MFSK based?
[13:47] <DanielRichman> yah
[13:47] <Darkside> ok
[13:47] <Darkside> this could be good
[13:47] <DanielRichman> http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.20/Modes/index.htm
[13:47] <Darkside> basicallt with my signal gen i program in a frequency
[13:47] <Darkside> i.e. i can set the carrier directly
[13:47] <DanielRichman> The only drawback is (I put my xplain in the freezer :D) that when it gets chilly not only does the ntx2 shift frequency sidways, but it squishes it in slightly
[13:48] <Darkside> i can program about 7000 times per second
[13:48] <DanielRichman> so I either have to mod fldigi to let users configure the domex shift at runtime to account for that
[13:48] <DanielRichman> or adjust the shift on the payload during the flight
[13:48] <Darkside> ok
[13:48] <DanielRichman> I'll probably just do both
[13:48] <Darkside> to do dominoEX on my system i need code which basically tells me what frequency to transmit on and when
[13:48] <Darkside> i.e. carrier + what shift
[13:48] <Darkside> or just what frequency in an array of frequencies
[13:49] <DanielRichman> if you can understand this http://github.com/danielrichman/avr/blob/master/xplain-x128a1/dac_domex.c then that's what you want
[13:49] <DanielRichman> although I've compressed the varicode table there, quite a bit
[13:49] <juxta> DanielRichman, I noticed the shift getting tighter in the cold the other day too
[13:49] <DanielRichman> http://github.com/danielrichman/avr/blob/master/xplain-x128a1/dac_domex_usart_tune.c may be easier to understand but has some debugging features that you don't want
[13:49] <Darkside> static void dominoex_sendtone(uint8_t tone)
[13:49] <Darkside> what be the tone?
[13:49] <juxta> as it got very cold in my payloads this time around
[13:50] <Darkside> oh man
[13:50] <Darkside> tone * tone shift...
[13:50] <DanielRichman> Darkside: dominoex uses an incremental frequency keying
[13:50] <DanielRichman> s/an //
[13:50] <DanielRichman> which means that the current tone is irrelvant; the information is in the difference between the previous tone and the current tone
[13:50] <DanielRichman> there are 18 tones
[13:50] <DanielRichman> the varicode table tells you for each byte, how many tones to shift forwards
[13:51] <DanielRichman> some bytes can be represented in 2 tones, others in 3
[13:51] <DanielRichman> the first tone is always a shift of <8
[13:51] <DanielRichman> and the second tone or the third is always >8
[13:51] <DanielRichman> so you can detect if there is a third tone by where the msb is set
[13:51] <Darkside> awesome
[13:51] <Darkside> i should be able to modify your code to work with my system
[13:52] <DanielRichman> http://github.com/danielrichman/avr/blob/master/xplain-x128a1/dac_domex_usart_tune.c have a look at void transmit_dominoex_character(uint8_t c)
[13:52] <DanielRichman> the argument to the function static void dominoex_sendsymbol(uint8_t sym)
[13:52] <DanielRichman> is an integer between 0 and 18
[13:52] <DanielRichman> Darkside: domionex can be a bit of a pain though; I had to get the shift EXACTLY right
[13:52] <DanielRichman> my DAC's vref was 1.0V and a change in shfit by ~3 parts out of 4096 made fldigi lose ~a quarter of the message
[13:52] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) joined #highaltitude.
[13:53] <DanielRichman> and then when it gets squeezed by the cold you have to adjust by ~4 parts out of 4096
[13:53] <Darkside> yes, i'm worried about the drift in my signal generator
[13:53] <Darkside> what kind of accuracy are we talking with the frequency output?
[13:54] <DanielRichman> it doesn't have to be accurate, however, the distance between tones does
[13:54] <Darkside> ok
[13:54] <DanielRichman> ie shifting sideways doesn't matter, but squeezing does
[13:54] <Darkside> continuous phase wont be a problem in my system
[13:54] <Darkside> yes, will need to check squeezing
[13:54] <DanielRichman> http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.20/Modes/index.htm have a look at the DomEX section
[13:54] <Darkside> i'm using an AD9835, which uses a 50MHz master clock, then divides that down to do DDS jazz
[13:55] <DanielRichman> domex22 is 18 tones in 400hz aiui
[13:55] <Darkside> so hopefully the errors in master clock frequency will be divided down
[13:55] <DanielRichman> what transmitter are you using?
[13:55] <Darkside> the AD9835
[13:55] <Darkside> :)
[13:56] <DanielRichman> oh, that's the transmitter :P
[13:56] <Darkside> it generates RF carrier up to about 15MHz
[13:56] <DanielRichman> HF, funky
[13:56] <Darkside> i wouldn't go any higher than that without some pretty sharp filters
[13:56] <DanielRichman> Domex was designed for hf
[13:56] <Darkside> i'm planning on operating on 40m
[13:56] <Darkside> or 80m
[13:56] <DanielRichman> very nice. Shame we won't pick it up over here
[13:56] <Darkside> still...
[13:56] <Darkside> your codebase
[13:56] <Darkside> yoinkage...
[13:56] <Darkside> :P
[13:57] <Darkside> of course full credit given
[13:57] <DanielRichman> not all of that is mine;
[13:57] <DanielRichman> " The DomEX22 code below originates from the fl-digi program;
[13:57] <DanielRichman> it has since been modified by CUSF and then myself."
[13:57] <Darkside> heh
[13:57] <Darkside> yes, i'll have a lot of stuff to reference
[13:57] <Darkside> still, very awesome
[13:58] <Darkside> also the 1-wire temp sensor code
[13:58] <Darkside> i was just going to port the one from arduino
[13:58] <Darkside> was that used with a DS18B20 or something?
[13:58] <DanielRichman> that was.. um DS18S20
[13:58] <Darkside> yeah
[13:59] <DanielRichman> which is different. I don't think that code will work on the DS18B20 straight away
[13:59] <Darkside> hmm
[13:59] <DanielRichman> I don't know whether you plan to write a sequential blocking style payload or go crazy, but you can do Other Stuff during those 1 second _delays
[13:59] <Darkside> yeah i only have 18B20s
[14:00] <Darkside> heh
[14:00] <DanielRichman> and that domex code I plan to rewrite and make interrupt based eventually
[14:00] <Darkside> i'd do the temp sensor stuff ininterrupts
[14:00] <Darkside> probably run it every few seconds
[14:00] <DanielRichman> eg http://github.com/danielrichman/alien/tree/master/alien1/atmega162/final/ would simultaneously read every gps string and log them to sd, while reading the temperature, sending smses and transmitting rtty
[14:00] <Darkside> start conversion one interrupt, read the next
[14:01] <DanielRichman> yeah that sounds good
[14:01] <Darkside> i plan on getting all my transmission code into interrupts
[14:01] <DanielRichman> <3
[14:01] <Darkside> so i can do the timing based around interrupts, which can then be controlled from the xplain's 32.68KHz crystal
[14:01] <DanielRichman> the problem with the 1 wire code itself is that the timings are so small for the actual 1wire stuff that you can't do that in interrupts
[14:01] <DanielRichman> ie you have to block.
[14:02] <Darkside> ah well
[14:02] <Darkside> if i have to then i will
[14:02] <DanielRichman> but yeah, the 1 second waits you can go do other stuff
[14:02] <Darkside> i wouldn't be reading from the sensor while transmitting
[14:02] <DanielRichman> also that 1wire code is not for using parasite power
[14:02] <Darkside> thats fine
[14:02] <DanielRichman> although in order to use parasite power I think the modification is quite small
[14:02] <Darkside> i wasn't planning on using parasite power
[14:02] <DanielRichman> oh, cool
[14:02] <Darkside> over what temp range have you tested your system over?
[14:03] <Darkside> i took my sparkfun breakout board down to -55 degrees C
[14:03] <DanielRichman> if by "tested" you mean, put in a freezer to see what happened, it went to 0 degrees and back
[14:03] <Darkside> the internal RC oscillator went from 32MHz to 33MHz :P
[14:03] <DanielRichman> if you're flying a camera and have good insulation then it shouldn't get too chilly in there
[14:03] <Darkside> i'm more concerned by what the signal gen will do
[14:04] <Darkside> but thats easily tested
[14:04] <DanielRichman> juxta: which payload got cold?
[14:04] <DanielRichman> you seem to have access to some awesome chilling kit :)
[14:04] <juxta> horus 6 and 7
[14:04] <Darkside> DanielRichman: the board got to -21 degrees
[14:04] <DanielRichman> :O
[14:04] <DanielRichman> was there a camera?
[14:04] <Darkside> yes
[14:04] <juxta> yes
[14:04] <DanielRichman> insulation?
[14:04] <juxta> -24 on horus 6, -21 on 7
[14:04] <juxta> yeah
[14:04] <Darkside> the lens was exposed tho
[14:04] <Darkside> :P
[14:04] <DanielRichman> http://alienproject.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/high-altitude/intvstime/
[14:05] <juxta> 2 reasons for the cold compared to other flights I think
[14:05] <juxta> horus 6 - I used really thing foam (12mm I think)
[14:05] <juxta> thin*
[14:05] <DanielRichman> I think we had 2cm or more; I don't know
[14:05] <DanielRichman> and we sealed the lens hole using this uv filter thing
[14:05] <DanielRichman> (glue gun goodness)
[14:06] <Darkside> DanielRichman: SSTV - really?
[14:06] <DanielRichman> you bet
[14:06] <juxta> horus 7 - open camera lens (though a very snug fit) - but I didn't cover the payload with tape like I usually do to prevent the wind from cutting through - jet stream is quite strong here at the moment, the 200km/h+ winds not have helped
[14:06] <Darkside> -51 degrees outside :P
[14:06] <juxta> I didn't seal the camera this time - last time I did & everything misted up, so I left it open
[14:07] <DanielRichman> when we launched we closed the payload and gluegunned the removable polystyrene panel on
[14:07] <DanielRichman> and then taped over that
[14:07] <DanielRichman> Alex is a big fan of duck tape
[14:07] <DanielRichman> yeah we got mist though, that is a downside
[14:07] <juxta> Rob suggested flushing out with He before sealing up
[14:07] <juxta> which is a good idea
[14:07] <juxta> or even with a needle once it's sealed
[14:08] <DanielRichman> yeah we were discussing ways to combat mist after we recovered alien#1
[14:08] <DanielRichman> apparently silica gel is too slow
[14:08] <juxta> yeah
[14:08] <juxta> I had silica in my first one
[14:08] <juxta> but too slow
[14:08] <juxta> this time it was open - no mist
[14:08] <DanielRichman> interesting
[14:08] <DanielRichman> Could keep the camera in a separate partition to the main flight computer
[14:08] <DanielRichman> and put a separate heater in the flight computer section
[14:08] <juxta> yeah I considered that
[14:09] <DanielRichman> but that's just weight
[14:09] <juxta> the camera was a very snug fit against the wall, i dont think there would have been too much draught blowing in
[14:09] <juxta> or draft?
[14:09] <DanielRichman> hmm
[14:10] <DanielRichman> Darkside: the sstv code requires very precise timing
[14:11] <Darkside> yeah
[14:11] <Darkside> was wondering about that
[14:11] <DanielRichman> I was originally (just for testing, I despise _delay) using _delay_ms, and trying to generate different colours
[14:11] <DanielRichman> the simple act of adding an i++
[14:11] <DanielRichman> made the image slant the other way
[14:11] <Darkside> wow
[14:11] <DanielRichman> although that was at 8MHz
[14:12] <DanielRichman> sorry, 2MHz
[14:12] <Darkside> oh lol
[14:12] <DanielRichman> using the xplain default clock
[14:12] <Darkside> the RCs arent that accurate
[14:12] <DanielRichman> at 32MHz it would be fine; would just require tuning
[14:12] <Darkside> its not possible to wire on a 32MHz crystal on tha tboard
[14:12] <DanielRichman> yeah I'm putting an 8MHz crystal on the board
[14:13] <Darkside> it might not even be possibly on the sparkfun board, i think the distance between the chip and the crystal might be too long
[14:13] <Darkside> oh?
[14:13] <Darkside> is there space for it?
[14:13] <DanielRichman> and if that's not accurate enough still then I'll see if I can PLL it up
[14:13] <DanielRichman> oh I mean, on my pcb
[14:13] <DanielRichman> not on the xplain board
[14:13] <Darkside> oh :)
[14:13] <Darkside> why 8MHz and not 32MHz?
[14:13] <Darkside> more power consumption?
[14:13] <DanielRichman> I don't think I'll need 32MHz
[14:13] <Darkside> heh ok
[14:13] <Darkside> oh yes, that was the other thing i was going to try
[14:14] <Darkside> process all the data to be sent as fast as possible, and just store what frequencies to shift to
[14:14] <Darkside> then set up an interrupt at the symbol rate, and switch the xmega into power save mode
[14:14] <Darkside> so it comes out of interrupt just to switch the frequency on my signal generator
[14:14] <Darkside> then goes back to sleep
[14:14] <DanielRichman> :) sounds great
[14:14] <DanielRichman> http://i.imgur.com/SzrNU.png
[14:15] <Darkside> loooool
[14:15] <DanielRichman> the blocky-ness was because that image (see smiley.inc) is a 16x16 bitmap (iirc)
[14:15] <Darkside> nice
[14:15] <DanielRichman> and the code just blew it up 10x at runtime
[14:15] <DanielRichman> but on teh real thing it can do proper images
[14:15] <Darkside> the aim of my project is to make everything use as little poer as possible
[14:15] <Darkside> the power usage of the xmega should be negligible compared to the RF stage
[14:16] <DanielRichman> the NiM2 that I'm using takes about the same power as an LED (and transmits 10mW :X)
[14:16] <DanielRichman> it's the gps that will soak up power here
[14:16] <Darkside> yeah
[14:16] <Darkside> i know my signal gen board draws about 30mA at 5v
[14:16] <Darkside> havent measured my AD8008 based amp yet
[14:17] <Darkside> the signal gen puts out about 50uW or something stupid like that, its something like 200mVp-p sine
[14:17] <Darkside> the AD8008 bumps that up to 5.3Vp-p
[14:17] <DanielRichman> ;)
[14:17] <Darkside> so i get about 70mW out of that
[14:18] <Darkside> i'm planning on making a Class D or E based amp to bump the power up to a watt or more
[14:19] <DanielRichman> grrr, ofcom
[14:19] <Darkside> use a comparator on the sine to make PWM, using the DAC to produce the reference voltage
[14:19] <Darkside> then use the PWM signal to drive a BJT push-pull amp thingo, which drives the gate of a MOSFET
[14:20] <Darkside> and i can adjust the DAC voltage to adjust the duty cycle, and hence the power output
[14:20] <Darkside> which means i can modify the power output from the xmega :D
[14:20] <DanielRichman> very nice
[14:20] <Darkside> also class E is very efficient
[14:20] <Darkside> which is another thing i want in my project
[14:20] <DanielRichman> we were thinking of putting a transmitter with a few watts on teh payload and only switch it on when it lands
[14:20] <Darkside> as little wasted power as possible ;)
[14:21] <DanielRichman> however we'd need to get an advanced license to do that, iirc
[14:21] <Darkside> heh
[14:21] <Darkside> i need to get my advanced license here..
[14:21] <DanielRichman> I wanted to do it this summer but couldn't find anywhere that had an exam
[14:21] <Darkside> i cant legally turn my project on without one..
[14:21] <DanielRichman> and radarc want me to pay for & spend time doing a course rather than just let me take the exam
[14:22] <DanielRichman> ps Darkside; did your xplain arrive like this? http://alienproject.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/the-robot-escort-clearly-left-his-laser-cannon-at-home/xplain-packaging-1/
[14:22] <Darkside> yep
[14:22] <Darkside> lol you got yours from farnell too
[14:23] <Darkside> hmm i wonder if i can push my signal gen up to 13.553MHz
[14:23] <Darkside> i reckon if i make a sharp enough filter i could do that
[14:26] <Darkside> anyway, to bed with me
[14:26] <Darkside> and thanks for the code!
[14:26] <DanielRichman> np, hope it works :P
[14:27] <DanielRichman> night
[14:30] <Darkside> unsigned int checkSum = CRC16Sum(string);
[14:30] <Darkside> you have got to be shitting me
[14:30] <Darkside> thats it...
[14:30] <Darkside> lol
[14:30] <Darkside> i started writing my own CRC16 code
[14:41] <DanielRichman> make sure it's the right crc16; there are quite a few
[14:41] <jonsowman> crc16-ccitt is the one you want IIRC
[14:42] <DanielRichman> yup
[14:42] <DanielRichman> http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__util__crc.html
[14:44] <DanielRichman> they're all written in asm for super speedz.
[14:46] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[14:48] <m1x10> Hi all again, I just completed my job about decoding some useful ubx protocol commands. I did it with ucenter and have all hex sequences with comments in a file. How can I upload it to ukhas ?
[14:50] <m1x10> File Contains: Max. performance mode, Eco mode, START GPS, STOP GPS, Disable NMEA ON all ports, SBAS DISABLE, SBAS - EGNOS - FOR EU, CONFIG NAV MODE (Airbone < 1g) + (Auto 2D/3D), CONFIG DATUM
[14:51] spacefelix (809ecabb@gateway/web/freenode/ip.128.158.202.187) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[14:53] <alikins> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iL__ed8Eyc (time lapse of the stills from our first flight)
[14:53] juxta (Bogaurd@ppp203-122-193-94.static.internode.on.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 272 seconds
[14:56] <DanielRichman> m1x10: you'll need to http://ukhas.org.uk/start?do=login and then pick a name for your page (look at some similar ones to get used to the naming conventions)
[14:56] <DanielRichman> then edit the page, get familiar with the wiki syntax, and I'd just copypaste it in
[14:57] <DanielRichman> perhaps http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:falcom_fsa03:ubx ?
[14:58] <DanielRichman> there's already some ubs stuff on http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:falcom_fsa03 so you could add to that, even
[15:02] <m1x10> oh DanielRichman yes
[15:02] <m1x10> I should just append the new stuff
[15:02] <m1x10> I see that you already have some there
[15:05] timbobel (~timboebl@5ED040EE.cable.ziggo.nl) left irc:
[15:05] <DanielRichman> if you look in the http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:falcom_fsa03?do=revisions history you can see that jcoxon and juxta wrote that page
[15:05] <DanielRichman> infact, you've edited it once already
[15:06] <m1x10> me too yeah
[15:06] <m1x10> actually i added only the ubx poll
[15:09] Nick change: m1x10 -> Nosebleed
[15:10] <Nosebleed> oh someone else using this nick !
[15:10] <Nosebleed> My nose is bleeding today !!!
[15:10] Nick change: Nosebleed -> m1x10
[15:12] <DanielRichman> Upu: http://github.com/danielrichman/preseed :P
[15:17] <Upu> Guess what I ordered yesterday ?
[15:18] <Upu> pink gaffer tape :)
[15:18] <DanielRichman> :D
[15:18] <Upu> just testing my chdk script
[15:19] <Upu> my leds don't blink like they should
[15:19] <Upu> but the screen turns off now
[15:25] <m1x10> new: http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:falcom_fsa03 :)
[15:28] <fsphil> how'd you get it working Upu?
[15:29] <Upu> found a script that presses DISP :)
[15:29] <fsphil> ah fair enough ;)
[15:29] <Upu> rem Turning off LCD display
[15:29] <Upu> get_prop 105 e
[15:29] <Upu> if c<>0 & e<>2 then
[15:29] <Upu> for n=0 to (2-e)
[15:29] <Upu> click "display"
[15:29] <Upu> next n
[15:29] <Upu> endif
[15:30] <Upu> found the command to set focus to infinity too
[15:30] <fsphil> !!!
[15:30] <fsphil> on the a560?
[15:30] <Upu> A710 but I have an A560 I could test
[15:31] <fsphil> ah. I've read it's not possible on the a560
[15:31] <fsphil> the normal interface has no manual focus control at all
[15:31] <Upu> set_prop 11 3
[15:31] <Upu> This sets the focus to the infinity focusing setting as if you switched to the "mountain" focusing icon. The 11 and 3 numbers may not apply to all cameras, so if that doesn't work, check the CHDK docs for "set_prop"
[15:31] <Upu> set_focus 65000
[15:32] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 276 seconds
[15:33] <Upu> rem Flash --> Off
[15:33] <Upu> set_prop 16 2
[15:33] <Upu> glorious :)
[15:33] <m1x10> Upu, why not config this setting from camera directly?
[15:34] <Upu> the more that is done automatically the less chance I have of screwing it up
[15:34] <Upu> ideally I'd like to turn the camera on and it sets everything automatically i.e power save :)
[15:35] <fsphil> just testing on the 560 now
[15:36] <fsphil> haha, it crashes
[15:38] <Upu> seems to work on the 710 I stuck a ruler in front of the camera and it's out of focus
[15:38] <Upu> ah no it doesn't work
[15:39] <W0OTM> Upu, where is set_prop in CHDK?
[15:39] <Upu> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCase
[15:39] <Upu> if it works
[15:39] <Upu> http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=2827
[15:39] <W0OTM> has any created a CHDK script just for balloon launches?
[15:39] <fsphil> trying just the display one see if that's causing the crash
[15:40] <m1x10> values differ from processor to processor
[15:40] <Upu> yep
[15:40] <Upu> but the A560 is a III and so is the A710 ?
[15:43] <m1x10> you can verify this on chdk's wiki
[15:43] <fsphil> sadly none of these seem to work on the a560
[15:43] <m1x10> have separate page for every cam
[15:43] <fsphil> having it in landscape mode seems to disable the flash anyway
[15:44] <m1x10> yeah landscape mode is i think the suitable to us
[15:44] <Upu> how often do you take a picture ?
[15:45] <m1x10> what means "Lens Retract"
[15:45] <fsphil> every 10 seconds
[15:45] <Upu> thats what I have mine set too
[15:55] <Upu> m1x10 pull the lense back like when it's in play/off
[15:58] <griffonbot> @dbsnyder: http://aprs.fi/?call=K6RPT-14 High Altitude weather balloon record attempt (Estimated Peak Altitude 133K) #arhab [http://twitter.com/dbsnyder/status/22535847635]
[16:00] <m1x10> so Do I need it ?
[16:01] <Upu> not if you want to take pictures :)
[16:01] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) joined #highaltitude.
[16:01] <m1x10> hehe
[16:01] <Upu> i.e lense needs to be out
[16:01] <m1x10> y
[16:01] <m1x10> correct
[16:11] <m1x10> what should be the image size?
[16:12] <m1x10> here its 10mb !
[16:13] <griffonbot> @dbsnyder: Descending, looks like they reached 122,600ft RT @dbsnyder: http://bit.ly/boamFy High Altitude weather balloon record attempt #arhab [http://twitter.com/dbsnyder/status/22537002232]
[16:21] <Upu> tell you something your batteries last a damn sight longer with no screen on
[16:28] <fsphil> yea
[16:28] <fsphil> I had mine taking pictures over night .. the 4gb sd card ran out first
[16:33] <m1x10> whats the ISO MODE?
[16:34] <W0OTM> iHAB-1 Recovery video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmV06aj6MFc
[16:40] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl092-009-225.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[16:51] Jasperw (~jasperw@93.89.81.29) joined #highaltitude.
[17:04] <Upu> m1x10 ISO is the sensitivity of the CCD to the light, lower = better definition but needs more light
[17:04] <Upu> 100 is normal sunny day
[17:04] <Upu> 400 is darker
[17:04] <Upu> afk
[17:04] jcoxon (~jcoxon@nat66.mia.three.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[17:05] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) left irc: Quit: I eat electrons for breakfast and I vomit thunders
[17:05] <jcoxon> afternoon
[17:06] <jonsowman> hello jcoxon
[17:11] <jcoxon> hey
[17:14] <jcoxon> jonsowman, had a good read of the new tracker proposal
[17:16] <Randomskk> jcoxon: thoughts?
[17:19] <jcoxon> looks compilcated
[17:21] <jcoxon> not sure if we really need the ability to log on and view flights
[17:21] <jcoxon> rather just a mission archive
[17:21] <jcoxon> open to all
[17:21] <Randomskk> that's what we have on the plan
[17:21] <Randomskk> there's no login
[17:22] <jcoxon> maybe i've misinterpreted the mission control bit hten
[17:22] <Randomskk> yea, I think that's basically to say when a flight is
[17:22] <Randomskk> e.g. payload and date range, so it can group received telem to know what to put into the archive
[17:23] <DanielRichman> the mission control is just a list of flights defined by a time range and a callsign. It would require an admin to maintain it
[17:23] <jcoxon> i see
[17:25] <jcoxon> pleased to see that dl-fldigi doesn't need too many changes :-p
[17:25] <jonsowman> yea
[17:25] <jonsowman> all looks good :)
[17:25] <jcoxon> i think that plan could be circulated on teh ukhas list as well
[17:25] <jcoxon> to recruite help/ideas
[17:26] <Randomskk> the first concept had a lot of changes to dl-fldigi but got scrapped for complexity reasons
[17:26] <Randomskk> it was much more awesome technically
[17:26] <jcoxon> my fear is the loss of simplicity
[17:26] <jcoxon> sure the current system is hacked togehter
[17:26] <Randomskk> this should be every bit as easy to use
[17:26] <jcoxon> but it is also fixable mid flight
[17:26] <Randomskk> if not easier when it comes to viewing archives and such
[17:26] <jcoxon> as often thats a big issue
[17:27] <jonsowman> fair point
[17:27] <Randomskk> I think the message repairer concept could be readily extended to fix data that was broken
[17:27] <Randomskk> if the payload has gone wrong, write a quick plugin that corrects incoming data and spits it out again, connect it as a sink
[17:28] <jonsowman> that's neat
[17:28] <jonsowman> hadn't thought of that
[17:28] <jcoxon> yes
[17:28] <jcoxon> but mustn't encourage that for sloppy payloads
[17:28] <jonsowman> of course
[17:28] <jcoxon> wouldn't like it if we had plugins for each payload
[17:28] <jcoxon> to get round the standard etc
[17:30] <Randomskk> absolutely, just means when things do go wrong it is easy to make them work
[17:32] <DanielRichman> re fixing broken payload data, we might want to go for "filters" in the parser sink rather than a sink in its own right since if the data's defo. broken we don't want to put it into the archive
[17:32] <DanielRichman> ie you plug a module into the parser sink and data goes through that
[17:32] <jcoxon> yes that makes more logical sense
[17:33] <DanielRichman> if the data's broken (eg. that - symbol bug on one of the payloads) then the checksums are correct
[17:33] <Randomskk> a filter layer concept might be a good idea then, if a function is registered as a filter all data is passed through that before hitting the main sinks
[17:33] <Randomskk> but perhaps the raw log shoudl still have it
[17:33] <Randomskk> so just before the parser I guess
[17:33] <DanielRichman> yeah. or that could be part of the parser
[17:33] <Randomskk> yea
[17:33] <DanielRichman> ie we write a function that parses the ukhas format
[17:33] <DanielRichman> and can replace it if we must
[17:34] <Randomskk> or add on new filters, you could have a chain if you needed
[17:34] <jcoxon> i guess its an additional filter after the xml filter
[17:37] <jonsowman> Randomskk: is your case a p183?
[17:38] <Randomskk> no
[17:38] <Randomskk> p180 mini
[17:38] <jonsowman> right
[17:38] <jonsowman> ta
[17:38] <Randomskk> p183 is very nice
[17:38] <Randomskk> my old was a p180
[17:38] <Randomskk> new is mini due to microatx
[17:38] <jonsowman> yeh was considering the 183
[17:38] <Randomskk> go for it
[17:39] <jonsowman> the 180 mini doesn't look microatx sized
[17:40] <Randomskk> you have seen my computer
[17:40] <Upu> P180 isn't a good case it's a nightmare to route cables
[17:40] <Randomskk> it is the size of a normal desktop
[17:40] <Randomskk> Upu: whaaaa
[17:40] <Randomskk> it's really nice :| they all go round the back
[17:40] <Upu> the cable routing is tragic
[17:40] <Upu> Antec P180 ?
[17:40] <Randomskk> yea
[17:40] <Randomskk> it worked really well for me :/
[17:40] <Randomskk> p180 mini was even better admittedly
[17:40] <Upu> I must be doing something wrong :)
[17:40] <Randomskk> but the 180 as fine
[17:40] <Upu> I have an Antec 300 now
[17:41] <jonsowman> Yeh this machine is an Antec 300
[17:41] <Upu> bit rattly in true Antec style but does the job
[17:42] <jonsowman> the previous one was really loud so this is quiet in comparison
[17:42] <Randomskk> mine is super quiet
[17:42] <Randomskk> gigantic fan
[17:42] <Randomskk> gigantic
[17:43] <jonsowman> the 300 is 45cm tall, the 183 is 54cm
[17:43] <jonsowman> considering I have to cart this to/from uni 3 times a year
[17:43] <Randomskk> doesn't make that much difference, it goes in the car :p
[17:44] <jonsowman> heh
[17:44] <jonsowman> I hope
[17:44] <jcoxon> right, to make life easy for the new tracker v2 i've added in a input box to allow for change of the server
[17:44] <Randomskk> excellent, cool
[17:45] <jonsowman> :D
[17:45] Nick change: Hualon -> hualon_serious
[17:45] <DanielRichman> eventually we might need to add some extra logic to swap between posting to a localhost spooler & the master, etc.
[17:45] <DanielRichman> and a tiny bit of code to try and have dl-fldigi work out whether there's a local spooler installed and set its default accordingly
[17:46] <jcoxon> for another day
[17:46] <jcoxon> right will bbl
[17:46] jcoxon (~jcoxon@nat66.mia.three.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[17:47] Nick change: hualon_serious -> hualon
[18:10] jcoxon (~jcoxon@nat65.mia.three.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[18:13] #highaltitude: mode change '+o jcoxon' by ChanServ!ChanServ@services.
[18:13] Topic changed on #highaltitude by jcoxon!jcoxon@nat65.mia.three.co.uk: Welcome to #highaltitude - discuss anything to do with high altitude projects (balloons, gliders, etc) www.ukhas.org.uk
[18:15] <jonsowman> lol twitter
[18:15] <jonsowman> "Something is technically wrong. Please try again"
[18:15] <jonsowman> :\
[18:17] <jcoxon> jonsowman, DanielRichman Randomskk is habhub ready for test data at all?
[18:34] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[18:34] <DanielRichman> jcoxon: I don't think the listener works yet
[18:34] <DanielRichman> on nessie. RJH was going to clean it up and make it ready but hasn't yet afaik
[18:34] <jcoxon> oh okay
[18:37] <W0OTM> iHAB-1 Launch video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwBR2LJLGA
[18:37] <alikins> wow, 5 hours?
[18:37] <W0OTM> yeah
[18:38] <W0OTM> 1.7m/sec ascent rate
[18:38] <W0OTM> not quite what I wanted....but alittle late after you let it go
[18:38] <W0OTM> :)
[18:38] <jcoxon> hehe
[18:41] <alikins> thats an impressive rig in the trailer
[18:44] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[18:45] <W0OTM> alikins: thanks
[18:47] smealum (~smealum@4.156.73-86.rev.gaoland.net) joined #highaltitude.
[18:54] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl092-009-225.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 255 seconds
[19:06] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl092-009-225.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:09] jcoxon (~jcoxon@nat65.mia.three.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[19:37] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) joined #highaltitude.
[20:38] <Randomskk> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=10005
[20:38] <Randomskk> sparkfun's HAB kit ;o
[20:54] <W0OTM> I just uploaded iHAB-1 Prelaunch video
[20:54] <W0OTM> Your video will be live in a moment at:
[20:54] <W0OTM> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CDcJTRGng
[21:07] <DanielRichman> Does anyone know what happens if your gps fix goes underground (gpgga)?
[21:08] <DanielRichman> does it become ,-ALT,M, ?
[21:09] <Randomskk> below sea level, you mean?
[21:09] <Randomskk> good question, I think this calls for... testing =D
[21:09] <Randomskk> who fancies a scuba diving holiday then?
[21:10] <DanielRichman> ok, whatever, just make sure your chase car gps doesn't go underground
[21:10] <russss> I wonder what altitude datum WGS84 uses
[21:10] <DanielRichman> fscanf(f, "$GPGGA,%2u%2u%2u.%*2u,%2u%f,%c,%3u%f,%c,1,%u,%*f,%u,M,%*u,%*c,,*%2x\n",
[21:10] <DanielRichman> one line gps library :X
[21:10] hualon (Hualon@152.16.144.213) left #highaltitude.
[21:10] <Randomskk> haha lovely
[21:10] <russss> "The coordinate origin of WGS 84 is meant to be located at the Earth's center of mass; the error is believed to be less than 2 cm"
[21:10] <russss> nice.
[21:10] <DanielRichman> and no, I don't know if it even compiles, yet alone works >.>
[21:13] <DanielRichman> We totally should have embedded a python interpreter in fldigi
[21:54] <fsphil> I used fscanf on the avr in my last flight -- really easy but it was HUGE, nearly doubled the size of the program
[21:55] <DanielRichman> oh yeah, but this is in fldigi ;)
[21:55] <DanielRichman> but it's so easy
[21:56] <Randomskk> you hit the nail on the head wrt python
[21:56] <DanielRichman> Ugh. Just realised I don't have the fldigi build-deps.
[21:56] <Randomskk> it took me like, a minute and ten lines of code to do the gps chase car uploading, from parsing the serial port
[21:56] <DanielRichman> Randomskk: there's still time to :P. However we'd have to bind all of the stuff to python functions etc. which might be fun, especially ensuring it's threadsafe
[21:56] <Randomskk> (those are both slight exaggerations)
[21:56] <fsphil> and portable
[21:57] <fsphil> would be a pretty big deviation from upstream too
[21:57] <DanielRichman> Randomskk: this one has to tolerate failure, run in another thread to avoid blocking yet you need to send it a signal to snap it out of whatever it's doing to change the serial port config
[21:57] <Randomskk> bah requirements
[21:57] <Randomskk> :P
[21:57] <DanielRichman> Inorite. This isn't too hacky, it's just really ugly 'cause I'm really bored of this problem
[21:57] <DanielRichman> and there's zero documentation
[21:58] <fsphil> don't bother with a thread, just poll the serial port every once in a while
[21:58] <DanielRichman> too late :P
[21:58] <DanielRichman> I thought about that; using nonblocking etc.
[21:58] <fsphil> the buffer is big enough
[21:59] <DanielRichman> So, I want to compile fldigi.
[21:59] <DanielRichman> cvs debhelper gettext html2text intltool-debian libasound2-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libdbus-1-dev libdrm-dev libflac-dev libfltk1.1-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-dev libhamlib-dev libice-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libogg-dev libpng12-dev libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev libsamplerate0-dev libsm-dev libsndfile1-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libusb-dev libvorbis-dev libx11-dev lib
[21:59] <DanielRichman> excellent.
[21:59] <fsphil> haha
[22:00] <Randomskk> fantastic
[22:00] <DanielRichman> I think there's a program that will spin a .deb that has no files, just depends on a the arguments you pass
[22:00] <fsphil> good chunk of them are probably asound dependencies
[22:00] <DanielRichman> then you can mark them all automatic
[22:00] <DanielRichman> and you don't have to remember which you installed, etc.
[22:04] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:05] Laurenceb (~laurence@host86-137-224-95.range86-137.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:05] <Laurenceb> http://www.webx.dk/rc/uhf-link3/uhf-link3.htm <- interesting
[22:06] <Randomskk> so wrt making ones own 434 module, do we think we have to get it somehow checked/approved/registered/notified?
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> Interesting
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> Yes.
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> In principle you do
[22:06] <Randomskk> from what I can see you only have to mark it
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> I think you need to get it tyope approved
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> which menas a labtes,t, and possible a fee
[22:06] <Randomskk> and sign a declaration of conformity
[22:06] <Randomskk> with technical documentation
[22:07] <Randomskk> but there's no requirement that some kind of testing house do anything, or that you pay any fee, or that you notify anyone it's going to market
[22:07] <Randomskk> it doesn't look like it could count as a class 1 device, which are really lenient, because you have to have some end user configuration as it were
[22:08] <DanielRichman> You mean, we can fly our own radios?
[22:08] <Randomskk> but it can count as a non-notifiable class II
[22:08] <Randomskk> DanielRichman: the answer is buried in thousands of pages of EU and UK legislation
[22:08] <SpeedEvil> This isn't related to CE at all I thought.
[22:08] <Randomskk> each with varying degrees of regulation and punishment
[22:08] <Randomskk> SpeedEvil: it kind of is
[22:08] <DanielRichman> I talked to ed ages ago, I think, about this, and he thought it required lots of money either way
[22:08] <DanielRichman> but if we can, that would be totally awesome
[22:08] <Randomskk> ofcom just say, it has to conform to 1999/5/eu, if I recall the identifier correctly
[22:08] <Randomskk> the radio and telecommunications equipment directive
[22:09] <SpeedEvil> I thought the CE rules were completely seperate drom the transmitter rules, and the licencing for each was independant
[22:09] <Randomskk> they appear to be part of the same entity
[22:09] <SpeedEvil> Ah
[22:09] <Randomskk> part of complying with CE, broadly, includes complying specifically with the 1999/5/eu
[22:09] <Randomskk> as far as ofcom is concerned, for notifyable devices you have to notify them, but you can do that via the one-stop european notification system
[22:09] <Randomskk> but it doesn't seem that such a device would have to be notified
[22:10] <Randomskk> it would use the harmonised frequency bands, which includes using around 434 at 10mW and no limit on duty cycle for airborne telemetry downlink
[22:10] <Randomskk> and telecommand
[22:10] fsphil (~phil@beastie.sanslogic.co.uk) left irc: Quit: sleeeeeep
[22:10] <Randomskk> so it is both license excempt under the wireless telegraphy act's statutory instruments, and non-notifiable under 1999/5/eu
[22:11] <Randomskk> however it still has to conform to 1999/5/eu's Essential Requirements, which comes down to things to do with interference
[22:11] <Randomskk> but, that conformity is self-certifying
[22:11] <DanielRichman> does static volatile char *serial_port, *serial_identity;
[22:11] <Randomskk> in addition, manufacturing something for personal use explicitely is not the same as putting it onto market
[22:11] <DanielRichman> mean that the pointer is volatile, or the stuff it points to is volatile?
[22:12] <DanielRichman> should it be static char * volatile serial_port, serial_identity; ?
[22:12] <Randomskk> I would say the pointer, and potentially yes to the latter
[22:12] <DanielRichman> I want the pointer to be volatile
[22:12] <DanielRichman> and not the chars that it points to.
[22:12] <Randomskk> then static volatile char* seems like the answer, but I'm not 100% sure.
[22:13] <DanielRichman> I don't know whether it should be volatile. They're for communication between threads and theyre protected by a lock
[22:13] <DanielRichman> s/lock/pthread_mutex/
[22:15] <DanielRichman> fldigi has a full_memory_barrier();
[22:15] <DanielRichman> function, just to make sure
[22:22] Upu (~Upu@ubn.upuaut.net) left irc:
[22:32] ejcweb (~chatzilla@30.16.125.91.gr6.adsl.brightview.com) left irc: Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86-rdmsoft [XULRunner 1.9.0.17/2009122204]
[22:49] alikins_ (~adrian@cpe-066-057-101-225.nc.res.rr.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:50] <DanielRichman> <3 htop
[22:53] <Randomskk> I know right
[22:53] <Randomskk> looks like the skype convo will have to be postponed a bit
[22:54] timbobel (~timboebl@5ED040EE.cable.ziggo.nl) joined #highaltitude.
[22:54] <timbobel> who wants a laugh
[22:54] <Randomskk> I'm probably/hopefully going to be out of contact thursday afternoon until saturday evening though I imagine I'll pop by IRC now and again, but tues/weds is fine
[22:54] <Randomskk> timbobel: go for it
[22:55] <Randomskk> anyway though I'd better get to sleep, waking up silly early tomorrow so I can get a silly early train in to work so my boss can pick me up from the station at work at a silly early time, sigh
[22:55] <timbobel> http://hollandshoogte.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/optic-rtty/
[22:56] <Randomskk> hehe
[22:56] <Randomskk> can you decode it though?
[22:56] <timbobel> well i tried to decode with my eyes but they blanked out
[22:56] <Randomskk> :P
[22:56] <Randomskk> need some photodiodes
[22:56] <timbobel> surely i can make something that can decode quite easily
[22:56] <Randomskk> love the bright LED
[22:56] <Randomskk> also relays being switched fast is fantastic
[22:56] <timbobel> yeah its awesome, and this was the smallest farnell had
[22:56] <Randomskk> click click click
[22:57] <Randomskk> looks like arc welding
[22:57] <timbobel> yeah i loved that too
[22:57] <Randomskk> power LEDs are excellent
[22:57] <timbobel> but there is something
[22:57] <timbobel> phenomenon
[22:57] <timbobel> like a
[22:57] <timbobel> drawback or something
[22:57] <Randomskk> back EMF
[22:57] <Randomskk> ?
[22:57] <timbobel> yeah something like that
[22:57] <Randomskk> yea
[22:57] <Randomskk> but the relay might have a diode built in to help that
[22:57] <timbobel> i put a diode in front of the relais and it had half the power
[22:57] <Randomskk> ah
[22:57] <timbobel> so afraid to kill my arduino, i just got rid of the diode
[22:58] <Randomskk> you generally put a diode in parallel with the coil and in reverse polarity but
[22:58] <Randomskk> anyway it seems to have worked :P
[22:58] <Randomskk> nice video
[22:58] <timbobel> yeah
[22:58] <Randomskk> okay, I'm out for the night, seeya all
[22:58] <timbobel> yeah
[22:58] <timbobel> i wanted to do like a blue and a red light
[22:58] <Randomskk> do it and put it on the payload
[22:58] <timbobel> thus mimicing rtty
[22:58] <Randomskk> seriously
[22:58] <Randomskk> I want to do this with the one I'm planning
[22:58] <Randomskk> anyway night
[22:58] <timbobel> okido
[22:58] <timbobel> bye man!
[22:59] timbobel (~timboebl@5ED040EE.cable.ziggo.nl) left irc: Client Quit
[23:14] <DanielRichman> Harr, I love it when things work.
[23:14] <DanielRichman> and by work, I mean
[23:14] <DanielRichman> "Picked up the chase car gps code again; this is a complete redraft, and
[23:14] <DanielRichman> it would appear to work! By work, I mean, it parses gps strings
[23:14] <DanielRichman> correctly, the restarting and reconfiguring (signals and pthread_cond)
[23:14] <DanielRichman> work perfectly, however I haven't tested it with a real gps since I
[23:14] <DanielRichman> don't have one wired up at the moment. Some other things to test include
[23:14] <DanielRichman> plugging in a dodgy gps or opening a totally responseless port to check
[23:14] <DanielRichman> that it will still EINTR-out and reconfigure to a new port when the user
[23:14] <DanielRichman> Oh, and the code is a total mess, meh
[23:15] <DanielRichman> and to top it all there's a phenomenal amount of trash in my history
[23:17] <DanielRichman> http://github.com/danielrichman/dl-fldigi/blob/master/src/misc/dl_fldigi_gps.cxx
[23:27] m1x10 (m1x10@ppp089210187222.dsl.hol.gr) left irc: Quit: I eat electrons for breakfast and I vomit thunders
[23:30] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Ping timeout: 240 seconds
[23:47] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[23:49] Laurenceb (~laurence@host86-137-224-95.range86-137.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[00:00] --- Tue Aug 31 2010