highaltitude.log.20100312

[00:13] <SpeedEvil> Oooh!
[00:13] Action: SpeedEvil plays with maglev.
[00:13] <SpeedEvil> A sheet of kitchen foil will levitate over a standard induction cooker.
[00:13] <SpeedEvil> Not for long though. :)
[00:15] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[00:43] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[01:51] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[02:24] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 265 seconds
[02:30] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[02:50] Tiger^ (tygrys@moo.pl) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[03:06] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 240 seconds
[03:30] KingJ (~KingJ-FN@oops.i.forgot.to.set.my.hostmask.kingj.net) left irc: Quit: ZNC - http://znc.sourceforge.net
[03:32] KingJ (~KingJ-FN@oops.i.forgot.to.set.my.hostmask.kingj.net) joined #highaltitude.
[03:39] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[03:50] DoYouKnow (~Michael@adsl-75-4-147-33.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net) joined #highaltitude.
[04:13] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[04:17] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 265 seconds
[04:36] Nick change: jos -> Jos
[05:17] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[05:25] edmoore (~ed@pluto.trinhall.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[05:30] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[05:38] jasonb (~jasonb@m350536d0.tmodns.net) joined #highaltitude.
[05:45] jasonb (~jasonb@m350536d0.tmodns.net) left irc: Excess Flood
[05:46] jasonb (~jasonb@m450536d0.tmodns.net) joined #highaltitude.
[06:15] jasonb (~jasonb@m450536d0.tmodns.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[06:26] edmoore (~ed@pluto.trinhall.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Quit: edmoore
[06:42] darknesslord_ (~darknessl@189.164.13.50) left irc: Quit: can i haz interlolz?
[06:47] Simon-MPFH (~simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[06:58] edmoore (~ed@pluto.trinhall.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:00] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) joined #highaltitude.
[07:04] <natrium42> yo edmoore
[08:01] <earthshine> morning
[08:02] <natrium42> hi
[08:07] G8DSU_ (~chatzilla@cpc3-mort4-0-0-cust192.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) joined #highaltitude.
[08:10] G8DSU (~chatzilla@cpc3-mort4-0-0-cust192.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 265 seconds
[08:10] Nick change: G8DSU_ -> G8DSU
[08:15] Hiena (~Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) joined #highaltitude.
[08:27] DoYouKnow (~Michael@adsl-75-4-147-33.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 245 seconds
[08:34] edmoore (~ed@pluto.trinhall.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Ping timeout: 240 seconds
[08:44] icez (~icez@unaffiliated/icez) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[08:47] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[08:52] GW8RAK (~chatzilla@host86-148-240-191.range86-148.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:10] Laurenceb (~laurence@host81-154-84-43.range81-154.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:16] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) joined #highaltitude.
[09:49] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[09:49] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[10:13] <Hiena> Anybody has oxyacetilene welding experience?
[10:14] <Hiena> I bought a small set, but it's quite disappointing after a bigger sets.
[10:16] <earthshine> what are you using that for ?
[10:21] <Hiena> http://www.praktikerwebshop.hu/termekek/autogn_hegeszt_s/?id=16406
[10:22] <Hiena> I used bigger sets, but this one is quite disappointing.
[10:22] <SpeedEvil> That looks almost toy-like.
[10:22] <Hiena> I can't weld even a tincan.
[10:23] <SpeedEvil> :/
[10:23] <jonsowman> morning all
[10:23] <earthshine> yeah somehow i doubt i'd buy one like that
[10:23] <earthshine> looks like it would run out in 5 mins too
[10:25] <SpeedEvil> Does it say it can be used for welding?
[10:25] <Hiena> Nah, it runs bout 20-40 minutes with a single fill.
[10:25] <earthshine> brazing more like it
[10:25] <Hiena> Yeah, it says from 0.1-2.5mm
[10:26] <Hiena> The flame temperature around 3100 degree.
[10:26] <Hiena> The problem is the amount.
[10:28] <SpeedEvil> I would be returning it if it diddn't meet specs.
[10:29] <Hiena> I guess, i'll drill up the smallest nozzle.
[10:31] <SpeedEvil> unlikely to help
[10:31] <SpeedEvil> the limiting factor is probably the maximum flow out of the acetylene can
[10:32] <SpeedEvil> which is limited by the desorbtion of the acetylene from the carrier gas
[10:32] <SpeedEvil> liquid
[10:32] <Hiena> Hmm...I'll try press to the top.
[10:33] <SpeedEvil> warming the cans _gently_ may help. Look at the maximum storage temp, and warm them to that
[10:36] <earthshine> are you sure about that ?
[10:42] <SpeedEvil> about what?
[10:44] <earthshine> warming up a gas of flammable gas
[10:44] <earthshine> *can
[10:44] <SpeedEvil> Look at the maximum storage temperature.
[10:44] <SpeedEvil> It may be 50C
[10:44] <SpeedEvil> warm it to that in a waterbath
[10:48] <Hiena> Ah, it worked.
[10:48] <Hiena> Hafta max. the valves.
[10:53] <earthshine> you didn't already do that ?
[10:53] <Hiena> Already finished the welding.
[10:54] <Hiena> My practice is a bit rusty, but it could be better.
[10:55] <Hiena> Have to get a brass rod, because i have to fill some contacts.
[10:57] Laurenceb (~laurence@host81-154-84-43.range81-154.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 256 seconds
[10:58] edmoore (~836f0142@gateway/web/freenode/x-jlvsnomugcmbjood) joined #highaltitude.
[10:59] <edmoore> Randomskk: yo
[10:59] <jonsowman> hi edmoore
[10:59] <edmoore> hi jonsowman
[10:59] <edmoore> do you have summer plans?
[10:59] <edmoore> eg jobs
[10:59] <jonsowman> yes, working at Ricardo for a month
[10:59] <jonsowman> why?
[10:59] <edmoore> the gearbox people?
[11:00] <earthshine> hi
[11:00] <jonsowman> edmoore: yep, amongst other things
[11:00] <jonsowman> im in the electronics dept
[11:00] <edmoore> no reason in particular, just junderwood is interviewing right now in the department, and that's really not a bad company to work for over a summer
[11:00] <jonsowman> ah right :)
[11:00] <jonsowman> adam has already completed his necessary work exp
[11:00] <edmoore> and there are no CUSF people among the interviewees (as far as I know)
[11:01] <jonsowman> and i believe is working at surrey uni over the summer
[11:01] <edmoore> sats?
[11:01] <jonsowman> sats?
[11:01] <edmoore> at surrey uni
[11:01] <edmoore> sattelites
[11:01] <jonsowman> at surrey? ive no idea tbh
[11:03] <jonsowman> edmoore: what would work with junderwood involve out of interest
[11:03] <edmoore> you'd have to ask him
[11:03] <jonsowman> ah ok
[11:04] <jonsowman> hmm i really need to get packing
[11:04] <edmoore> but they do as a company a great deal of stuff, from designin and making test-bads for landers to very complex CFD - flexible structures (parachutes) interacting with supersonic flows
[11:06] <jonsowman> sounds pretty good
[11:17] Nick change: ms7821 -> Paul7
[11:17] edmoore (~836f0142@gateway/web/freenode/x-jlvsnomugcmbjood) left irc: Ping timeout: 252 seconds
[11:24] Tiger^ (tygrys@moo.pl) joined #highaltitude.
[11:38] GW8RAK (~chatzilla@host86-148-240-191.range86-148.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[11:39] GW8RAK (~chatzilla@host86-148-240-191.range86-148.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[11:44] Nick change: Paul7 -> ms7821
[11:51] WillD_ (~c2498332@gateway/web/freenode/x-xhfpyklwxndjjezk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:58] WillD_ (~c2498332@gateway/web/freenode/x-xhfpyklwxndjjezk) left irc: Quit: Page closed
[13:02] GW8RAK (~chatzilla@host86-148-240-191.range86-148.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86 [Firefox 3.6/20100115144158]
[13:03] terry (~tjd@74.109.233.220.static.exetel.com.au) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[13:04] terry (~tjd@74.109.233.220.static.exetel.com.au) joined #highaltitude.
[14:02] G8DSU (~chatzilla@cpc3-mort4-0-0-cust192.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) left irc: Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86 [Firefox 3.5.8/20100202165920]
[14:08] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Ping timeout: 245 seconds
[14:30] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[14:43] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Ping timeout: 245 seconds
[14:51] ssapphiree (~Love@ppp85-141-165-148.pppoe.mtu-net.ru) joined #highaltitude.
[14:58] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[15:00] ssapphiree (~Love@ppp85-141-165-148.pppoe.mtu-net.ru) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[15:12] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Ping timeout: 245 seconds
[15:25] rjharrison (~rharrison@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[15:36] <rjharrison> hi all
[15:36] <SpeedEvil> hi
[15:37] Action: SpeedEvil has been setting fire to stuff.
[15:37] <SpeedEvil> (wood, random leaves, ...)
[15:38] N900evil (~Speedevil@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[15:47] <Hiena> elves
[15:49] Hiena (~Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) left irc: Quit: -=Got bored from the net. Gone blowing up things.=-
[15:55] <rjharrison> wind ... russle ...
[15:56] <SpeedEvil> Nont that I noticed.
[16:05] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[16:11] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) left irc: Ping timeout: 264 seconds
[16:19] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[16:36] G8DSU (~chatzilla@cpc3-mort4-0-0-cust192.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) joined #highaltitude.
[16:51] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Quit: Quit
[16:54] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[16:59] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[17:05] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[17:14] rjmunro (~chatzilla@87.127.91.51) joined #highaltitude.
[17:29] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[17:31] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[17:34] jasonb (~jasonb@adsl-66-124-73-250.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 268 seconds
[17:43] DoYouKnow (~Michael@adsl-75-4-147-33.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net) joined #highaltitude.
[17:51] jasonb (~jasonb@m5e0e36d0.tmodns.net) joined #highaltitude.
[17:53] DanielRichman (~DanielRic@unaffiliated/danielrichman) joined #highaltitude.
[18:08] junderwood (~John@adsl.jcu.me.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[18:12] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[18:27] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Bye
[18:28] jasonb (~jasonb@m5e0e36d0.tmodns.net) left irc: Ping timeout: 265 seconds
[18:29] rjharrison (~rharrison@gateway.hgf.com) left irc:
[18:38] GeekShadow (~Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[18:52] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[18:52] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) joined #highaltitude.
[18:53] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[18:54] jcoxon (~jcoxon@80.176.120.90) joined #highaltitude.
[18:54] <jcoxon> evening all
[18:55] <DanielRichman> Buying radio rigs: ML&S is *the* standard place?
[18:55] <jcoxon> DanielRichman, its probably the most pricey
[18:56] <DanielRichman> hmm? where do you get your rig(s) from?
[18:56] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) left irc: Read error: Connection reset by peer
[18:56] <jcoxon> i got my 790 from ebay and my ft817 from radioworld
[18:58] <jcoxon> any svn genius around?
[19:00] <DanielRichman> I know roughly how to use it... can't hurt to ask
[19:02] <jcoxon> basically i don't want to branch, rather start a new file for a new set of files
[19:02] <jcoxon> if that makes sense
[19:03] <DanielRichman> You want to start a new repo. with a copy of the old one? Or is that too branch-y
[19:04] <DanielRichman> Or you want to make a new folder?
[19:04] <jcoxon> i want to make a new repo i guess but within google code
[19:04] <DanielRichman> do you mean like, at the moment you have /trunk
[19:04] <DanielRichman> and you want something like /stuff ?
[19:05] jasonb (~jasonb@dsl027-180-244.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:05] <jcoxon> from scratch
[19:05] <jcoxon> yeah
[19:05] <DanielRichman> dl-fldigi?
[19:07] <DanielRichman> jcoxon, I don't know the *proper* way to do it, but this seems to work:
[19:07] <DanielRichman> if you `svn checkout http://dl-fldigi.googlecode.com/svn/` rather than /svn/trunk
[19:07] <DanielRichman> then go into that directory
[19:07] fsphil (~phil@2001:470:1f09:483:21f:c6ff:fe44:b25b) joined #highaltitude.
[19:08] <DanielRichman> `mkdir stuff` and `svn add stuff` and `svn commit` you should end up with a new folder on the same level as trunk/ and branches/
[19:08] <DanielRichman> zeusbot, stfu
[19:08] <jonsowman> lol zeusbot
[19:09] <jcoxon> something special :-p
[19:09] <jcoxon> but yes dl-fldigi v2
[19:09] <sbasuita> hmm http://code.google.com/p/dl-fldigi/issues/detail?id=1
[19:09] <DanielRichman> jcoxon, tell me if that does what you want ^^
[19:09] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, yeah i think that will work
[19:09] <jcoxon> DanielRichman, oh i see
[19:09] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, isn't there a deb for karmic?
[19:10] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, maybe requires a merge from the karmic version of fldigi?
[19:10] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, yeah there is a deb for karmic
[19:10] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, based off revision 63
[19:10] <jcoxon> sbasuita, didn't notice that - but r63 is very old
[19:10] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, we're on r88 :D
[19:10] <sbasuita> hehe
[19:10] <DanielRichman> anyway bbl
[19:10] <sbasuita> jcoxon, what's the latest stable revision?
[19:11] <jcoxon> the latest trunk is stable
[19:11] <sbasuita> hmm i'll have a look then
[19:11] <DanielRichman> see if his ftbfs is true; then see why the vanilla fldigi on karmic doesn't ftbfs
[19:13] <sbasuita> compilling now....
[19:13] <sbasuita> yeah its real
[19:18] <jcoxon> a change in ubuntu and gcc?
[19:18] <sbasuita> jcoxon, no, since my ppa package was compiled on karmic as well
[19:18] <jcoxon> we haven't changed the fldigi base
[19:19] <sbasuita> odd
[19:19] <jcoxon> i must have touched something in the code
[19:19] <sbasuita> actually
[19:19] <sbasuita> maybe my ppa package wasn't recompiled for karmic
[19:19] <sbasuita> anyway i've gtg now
[19:20] <sbasuita> will look at it in a bit
[19:20] <jcoxon> np
[19:25] <DanielRichman> Time to solder my fsa03 breakout
[19:25] <jcoxon> DanielRichman, ooo where did you get your fsa03 from?
[19:26] <jcoxon> sequoia?
[19:26] <DanielRichman> jcoxon, ja
[19:33] icez (~icez@ip68-109-170-236.ph.ph.cox.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:33] icez (~icez@ip68-109-170-236.ph.ph.cox.net) left irc: Changing host
[19:33] icez (~icez@unaffiliated/icez) joined #highaltitude.
[19:39] <sbasuita> jcoxon, ah, the karmic package is just a copy of the one built on jaunty
[19:42] <DanielRichman> Hmm appears I forgot to dunk the pcb back in the photo-etch developer; it's got a light coating of the stuff. Best chance for removal/any adverse effects?
[19:42] <sbasuita> gah, trying to build r63 on karmic doesn't work either
[19:42] <DanielRichman> *stuff = pre-sensitised stuff.
[19:42] <jcoxon> sbasuita, i suspect a ubuntu change rather then dl-fldigi then
[19:42] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, what version of fldigi is is the latest trunk forked from; what version is the karmic vanilla package
[19:43] <DanielRichman> compare the file that ftbfs
[19:44] <jcoxon> while a new version is in the pipeline its best that we fix r88 as thats going to be the workhorse for quite a while
[19:44] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, yea
[19:45] <sbasuita> unfortunately i am obliged to do the washing up first
[19:45] <sbasuita> -.-
[19:45] <DanielRichman> enjoy
[19:49] <DanielRichman> wow soldering the fsa03 is much easier than I expected
[19:49] <DanielRichman> (although I probably should withhold that comment until I have it w0rking)
[19:51] <fsphil> haha
[19:51] <fsphil> I've made that mistake a few times
[19:55] <DanielRichman> Well I thought I'd be all over the place with this thing but from *first* impressions it looks ok
[19:55] <DanielRichman> time to attach pinheader
[19:58] <jonsowman> evening guys
[20:01] <sbasuita> jcoxon, what's the version of fldigi in trunk?
[20:04] <sbasuita> hmm i guess it's 3.11.4
[20:04] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, doesn't it have a version file?
[20:04] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, can you compare it against the 3.11.4 tgz to be sure?
[20:05] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, perhaps you should repackage it from the karmic vanilla fldigi putting the hab changes in a dpatch?
[20:06] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, that would just be a source of more bugs
[20:06] <DanielRichman> but it'd be *nicer*
[20:07] <sbasuita> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=504910
[20:07] <sbasuita> gotcha
[20:07] <sbasuita> owait
[20:07] <sbasuita> that's a different build error
[20:07] <sbasuita> >_>
[20:08] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, tbf it would be nice if dlfldigi used bzr or git to properly branch the fldigi repo
[20:08] <DanielRichman> mmm
[20:10] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, actually i can't find an fldigi repo....
[20:12] <DanielRichman> :o
[20:16] GeekShadow (~Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: Ping timeout: 268 seconds
[20:25] <jcoxon> i forget how much extra code i've added to fldigi
[20:25] <jcoxon> to make it dl-fldigi
[20:28] <sbasuita> WTF
[20:28] <sbasuita> the karmic vanilla fldigi (synced from debian) doesn't compile under karmic ;P
[20:37] jcoxon (~jcoxon@80.176.120.90) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[20:38] <sbasuita> finally found the actual project hosting for fldigi: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fldigi/
[20:38] <sbasuita> (they have git)
[20:43] natrium42 (~8161a9d7@gateway/web/freenode/x-osdmxpptusgkgfxk) joined #highaltitude.
[20:43] jcoxon (~jcoxon@92.40.51.213.sub.mbb.three.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[20:44] <natrium42> hi jcoxon
[20:48] <natrium42> jcoxon: we need good weather this w/e!
[20:49] Action: natrium42 slaps scotty around a bit with autopano
[20:49] <jcoxon> pourquoi?
[20:51] <sbasuita> jcoxon, btw, if you're starting a new version of dl-fldigi, i think you should do it in git and do a fork of http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fldigi/
[20:51] <natrium42> he didn't set the horizon, that's why the panorama is curved
[20:52] <natrium42> hrm, maybe we should do a combined github repo for the tracker
[20:52] <natrium42> and dl-fldigi
[20:52] <jcoxon> natrium42, oh i mean weather wise
[20:52] <natrium42> jcoxon: i just want somebody to launch :)
[20:52] <fsphil> I use git for one of my projects - it's not bad, if not terribly friendly
[20:52] <fsphil> but that could just be me not using it right
[20:53] <DanielRichman> It's ALIVE!
[20:53] <DanielRichman> (fsa03)
[20:53] <sbasuita> I think it's a good idea because the whole point of DVCSs like git is to make maintaining branches and forks easier
[20:53] <jcoxon> natrium42, hehe
[20:54] <fsphil> good news DanielRichman !
[20:54] <natrium42> jcoxon: i want to see predictor on a working launch :P
[20:55] <natrium42> jcoxon: also, do you know some python? as the new tracker will be in that
[20:55] <jcoxon> yup, i know a bit of python
[20:55] <natrium42> excellent
[20:57] <natrium42> great weather would be good, but good weather would be great
[20:58] <jcoxon> hehe, you are talking about the UK though - the weather is always bad
[20:58] <DanielRichman> Aaaaaaaand it's got a fix
[20:58] <DanielRichman> goal!
[20:58] <DanielRichman> That's a bit faster than the lassen
[20:59] <natrium42> ublox, baby
[20:59] <natrium42> so, i had less than 4 hours of sleep
[20:59] <natrium42> :P
[21:00] <fsphil> neat, trivial to modify fldigi for 1200 baud rtty :)
[21:01] <natrium42> wtb 9600
[21:02] <fsphil> hmm... not sure if I can transmit that.. lemme see
[21:02] <jcoxon> fsphil, fldigi is quite hacker friendly
[21:03] <natrium42> it would be nice to downlink images digitally
[21:03] <fsphil> you read my mind natrium42
[21:03] <natrium42> some wavelet format would degrade gracefully with data gaps
[21:04] <natrium42> just resulting in blurring
[21:04] <natrium42> bbl, going home
[21:04] natrium42 (~8161a9d7@gateway/web/freenode/x-osdmxpptusgkgfxk) left irc: Quit: Page closed
[21:05] <sbasuita> looks like the build error was fixed somewhere between 3.11.4 and the latest fldigi
[21:06] <fsphil> hehe, 9600 is pushing it -- no decoding at all :)
[21:07] <jcoxon> :-)
[21:07] <fsphil> just a buzz on the radio
[21:08] <sbasuita> can't find the commit that fixed the build error ;(
[21:09] <jcoxon> sbasuita, thats fldigi for you
[21:11] <fsphil> jcoxon, how friendly is fltk?
[21:11] <jcoxon> yeah not bad
[21:11] <jcoxon> i cheat a little so haven't got my head completely round it
[21:12] <sbasuita> ok so it was fixed between 3.11.5 and 3.11.6
[21:12] <fsphil> brb
[21:13] <sbasuita> YES
[21:14] <sbasuita> http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/fldigi/patch/?id=296473029cb14408e573e4660a1bace23ce6b1f3
[21:14] Action: sbasuita does a little dance
[21:20] <DanielRichman> http://www.danielrichman.co.uk/images/random/2010-03/fsa03-1.jpg http://www.danielrichman.co.uk/images/random/2010-03/fsa03-2.jpg
[21:21] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, quit wiping your greasy fingers on the lens ;P
[21:21] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, it was a "let's take a quick picture to slap on irc" not a "let's take a good picture"
[21:22] <DanielRichman> It was a bad angle to expect the cameraphone to focus from
[21:26] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[21:30] Simon-MPFH (~simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[21:30] Laurenceb (~laurence@host81-154-84-43.range81-154.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[21:32] SpeedEvil (1000@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[21:32] SpeedEvil (~user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[21:38] junderwood (~John@adsl.jcu.me.uk) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[21:40] <DanielRichman> 20100309: [22:20] <Randomskk> DanielRichman: the RSGB books for all three and that was it, loaned to me by the CU wireless soc
[21:40] <DanielRichman> Randomskk, is this it? http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/imedbk-intermediate-licence-building-foundation-p-3706.html?osCsid=c0d3a51f734d919efa63eb7eae4f3be6
[21:45] jcoxon (~jcoxon@92.40.51.213.sub.mbb.three.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[21:51] Nick change: jonsowman -> jonsowman_
[21:51] Nick change: jonsowman_ -> jonsowman
[21:51] jonsowman (~jonsowman@93-97-184-163.zone5.bethere.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Bye
[21:51] jonsowman (~jonsowman@93-97-184-163.zone5.bethere.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[21:53] <fsphil> amazon have the rsgb books, a little cheaper too
[21:54] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) left irc: Quit: Leaving.
[21:54] Jasperw (~jasperw@client-81-100-30-42.cht-bng-015.adsl.virginmedia.net) joined #highaltitude.
[21:54] <jonsowman> DanielRichman: any updated ideas on launch dates?
[21:56] Action: DanielRichman refers jonsowman to sbasuita, who's in charge of the launch date
[21:57] <DanielRichman> though i think that the current week + a bit is all bad; paylaod going in the drink
[21:57] <jonsowman> yes thats what i was thinking
[21:57] <jonsowman> hope the wx improves soon
[21:58] <sbasuita> well the prediction http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuspaceflight/hourly-predictions is swinging back towards land so maybe....
[21:58] <jonsowman> sbasuita: its definitely getting better
[21:59] <sbasuita> anyway i fixed the build error
[21:59] <sbasuita> just uploading an svn r90 package to my ppa now
[22:00] <sbasuita> might as well apply the patch to dl-fldigi svn actualyl
[22:01] GeekShadow (~Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[22:06] <Randomskk> DanielRichman: mine did not have that cover but may have just been a newer version
[22:06] <Randomskk> I believe it was the same book
[22:06] <DanielRichman> Randomskk, okey
[22:06] <Randomskk> jonsowman: woo my replacement laser has shpped
[22:07] <fsphil> balloon mounted lasers?
[22:07] <Randomskk> fsphil: with a suitable aiming device there's no reason you couldn't use that for comms but this is more for messing around with
[22:08] <jonsowman> Randomskk: nice one :)
[22:08] <jonsowman> how was the meal?
[22:08] <fsphil> I thought about it once Randomskk, but the aiming mechanism would probably be fairly heavy
[22:08] <fsphil> plus clouds would get in the way :)
[22:09] <Randomskk> fsphil: yea very tre
[22:09] <Randomskk> true*
[22:09] <Randomskk> natrium42: I would not have one github for tracker and dl-fldigi
[22:09] <Randomskk> put them into two separate repos
[22:09] <Randomskk> also using git to have dl-fldigi be a fork of the mainline fldigi is an awesome idea and would make updating it to current version really easy
[22:10] <Randomskk> sbasuita: did you get fldigi compiling?
[22:10] <sbasuita> Randomskk, yes
[22:10] <Randomskk> ah cool
[22:10] <sbasuita> Randomskk, http://code.google.com/p/dl-fldigi/source/detail?r=92
[22:10] <Randomskk> are you maintaining debian/ubuntu builds or something?
[22:10] <sbasuita> Randomskk, yes, i've just updated the debs to revision 90
[22:10] <Randomskk> sbasuita: is is the (char *) issue
[22:10] <Randomskk> is it*
[22:10] <sbasuita> Randomskk, yes
[22:10] <Randomskk> okay cool
[22:11] <Randomskk> yea, I had a patch locally for that but makes sense to have it on the main tree
[22:11] <sbasuita> mm
[22:11] <Randomskk> I'd love to see a github repo for dl-fldigi that was a fork of upstream
[22:11] <sbasuita> Randomskk, same, we'll have to convince jcoxon :)
[22:12] <sbasuita> Randomskk, did you write your own patch for the char pointer issue?
[22:12] <Randomskk> sbasuita: not as a .patch but that's obviously easy to generate from the svn source
[22:12] <Randomskk> but it's presumably identical to yours, e.g. add (char *) before eight or so lines in one file and before another in antoher file
[22:13] <DanielRichman> <sbasuita> http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/fldigi/patch/?id=296473029cb14408e573e4660a1bace23ce6b1f3
[22:13] <DanielRichman> * sbasuita does a little dance
[22:13] <sbasuita> Randomskk, i managed to find the patch in the upstream git
[22:13] <sbasuita> yeah
[22:13] <sbasuita> was an awful pain to di gout
[22:13] <Randomskk> I can imagine
[22:13] <Randomskk> better to get the proper upstream one though
[22:13] <Randomskk> this is where it being on git would be epic
[22:13] <sbasuita> yep
[22:13] <Randomskk> "git pull upstream"
[22:13] <Randomskk> "...done"
[22:13] <DanielRichman> errr....
[22:14] <DanielRichman> 5 bazihlion conflicts?
[22:14] <Randomskk> shouldn't be too significant
[22:14] <Randomskk> git works inside files
[22:14] <Randomskk> literally line by line
[22:14] <sbasuita> like all version control ;)
[22:14] <Randomskk> sbasuita: like all good version control
[22:15] <Randomskk> but anyway git is generally smart enough to pull off a merge like that
[22:15] <DanielRichman> depends on the magnitude of the edits that have been made
[22:15] <sbasuita> https://launchpad.net/~simrunbasuita/+archive/dl-fldigi/+build/1559258 <---- 40 minute queue! D;
[22:15] <Randomskk> DanielRichman: obviously if APIs etc have changed more work would be needed
[22:15] <Randomskk> but for the majority of small changes it should be fine
[22:15] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, bare lucid building?
[22:15] <Randomskk> we're not really changing any of their code, just adding our own bits on
[22:15] <sbasuita> that's why you would want to pull from upstream often to prevent big changes from building up
[22:15] <DanielRichman> true
[22:16] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, no, dl-fldigi just has a crap build score
[22:16] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, universe, not security fix, ppa, etc etc etc ;P
[22:17] <sbasuita> oh wow
[22:17] <sbasuita> launchpad now lets you see the build log live
[22:17] <DanielRichman> tastey
[22:17] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, link me
[22:17] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, https://launchpad.net/builders/
[22:18] <sbasuita> ouch, the amd64 distro builder has a four hour queue
[22:18] <sbasuita> mind you sparc is 25 hours
[22:19] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, on a related note: still no response from fgfs upstream?
[22:19] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, no
[22:19] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, i think there might be a cdbs module thingy to help patch autotools though
[22:19] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, i'll have to look into it
[22:19] <DanielRichman> eww.
[22:20] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, has there been any activity concerning g4rsc?
[22:21] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, dunno
[22:21] <sbasuita> It may happen that you need to patch files belonging to the autoconf system, in which case you will probably need to run aclocal, automake and autoconf after applying the patch. CDBS has options to assist you in this situation. It will run patch first, then rebuild autotools, and finally run configure "et al."
[22:21] <DanielRichman> that's just disgusting
[22:21] <DanielRichman> though tbf autotools is fairly nasty to look at in general
[22:22] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, like yo momma XDXDXD
[22:24] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, lol the only activity is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?story_fbid=353579584009&gid=344389789009 , expecting a reply.....
[22:31] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, iirc they don't have anything as high as 2m; they're all bad military men
[22:31] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, ye
[22:31] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, although it wouldn't really make sense for their kit not to cover such a common band
[22:31] <sbasuita> *shrug*
[22:32] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, I get the impression it's all v. old stuff... maybe from back when 2m wasn't as popular?
[22:32] <sbasuita> hmm
[22:32] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, speak of the devil: check your emails
[22:33] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, oh hehe
[22:34] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, feel like replying: URGENT: USE BCC. For every Year 7 that you CC in an email to me I get 10 tonnes of chain mail spam. It hurts inside
[22:34] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, "Im planning to send up a payload into near earth orbit and need a few stations setup to recieve the location data and upload it to the interwebs to aid with the tracking of it :)"
[22:34] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, what the
[22:34] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, that's beddow
[22:34] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, near earth orbit????
[22:34] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, er
[22:34] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, >_____________>
[22:35] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, something is going on here
[22:35] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, and ukhas should know about it
[22:35] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, stop overdramatising and give him the fricking urls
[22:35] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, lololol
[22:35] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, wait a second. He wants his payload to transmit on 144.800 ... APRS!?
[22:35] <DanielRichman> Is that legal?
[22:35] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, no
[22:35] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, no airbourne callsigns allowed
[22:36] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, ok. Point it out. Take the credit
[22:36] <natrium42> wat
[22:36] <DanielRichman> hey natrium42
[22:36] <natrium42> o/
[22:36] <DanielRichman> usually we spam each other to death in a private channel... but meh
[22:37] <DanielRichman> it's slightly relevant
[22:37] <natrium42> hehe
[22:38] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, there are no urls in your wall post, fool
[22:38] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, d/w
[22:39] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, i thought that they didn't have any 2m gear... I swear he said no when I asked
[22:39] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, ubershrug
[22:39] <DanielRichman> go easy on the shoulders
[22:39] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, somethings wrong here. It's web2.0 and I'm spamming refresh - or does it update automatically?
[22:39] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, um, i think it is automatic
[22:40] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, but is facebook = buggy as hell
[22:41] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, reply est arrive'
[22:41] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, blog url & irc link or I'll do it
[22:41] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, chill out
[22:42] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, I'm chilled.
[22:42] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, quick backseat driving my conversations
[22:42] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, well I wanted to reply but would have been a bit weird if our replies were clashing
[22:42] natrium (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:43] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, have you read the foundation license plan in the email?
[22:43] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, not yet
[22:43] <DanielRichman> read it, sbasuita, those guys are gonna get colossally bored.
[22:44] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, linked beddow to this channel
[22:44] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, yaya i noticed
[22:45] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, btw why did he call it a "near earth orbit"?
[22:45] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[22:45] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, god knows
[22:46] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, oh my jesus
[22:46] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, the reading boys are going to die of boredom in this schedule
[22:46] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, as I said
[22:46] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, 75 minutes per meeting!
[22:46] <DanielRichman> required materials: Pen, notebook, wrists & knife...
[22:47] <sbasuita> ehehe
[22:47] <Randomskk> is this foundation training?
[22:47] <DanielRichman> Randomskk, yes
[22:47] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, "Near earth Orbit" redirects to "Low earth orbit" on wikipedia but that's 160km + (balloons go to 30k and it's not an orbit)
[22:47] <DanielRichman> Randomskk, hold on, let me just total up the number of 75minute meetings they want to plan
[22:47] <DanielRichman> (thank god I've already got foundation)
[22:48] <Randomskk> you can do foundation training in one 75 minute meeting
[22:48] <Randomskk> and also sit and pass the exam in the same meeting
[22:48] <DanielRichman> exactly
[22:48] <DanielRichman> they have 7*75minutes of meeting scheduled
[22:48] <Randomskk> jeepers
[22:48] <Randomskk> sounds like fun
[22:49] <DanielRichman> I actually told atleast two teachers in this club: it's easy. Reading school pace, 1hr job done
[22:49] <Randomskk> at least they might actually get a significant amount of radio experience
[22:49] <Randomskk> I somehow have a full license and have never worked anything except a single 434 repeater
[22:49] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[22:49] <Randomskk> failure of the licensing system there
[22:49] <DanielRichman> I doubt it Randomskk
[22:49] <DanielRichman> says that it will be done in a classroom
[22:49] <Randomskk> ouch
[22:49] <DanielRichman> aha:! "The Course is enormously enjoyable"
[22:49] <Randomskk> that is gonna bore the shiy out of them
[22:50] <DanielRichman> Yep :D
[22:50] <fsphil> I'm doing the foundation course over a single weekend
[22:50] <Randomskk> s/y/t
[22:50] <fsphil> about 6 hours total I think
[22:50] <DanielRichman> fsphil, that's how me and sbasuita did it too.
[22:50] jcoxon (~jcoxon@80.176.120.90) joined #highaltitude.
[22:50] <Randomskk> much more reasonable
[22:50] <natrium> \o jcoxon o/
[22:51] <fsphil> looking forward to finally using my radio for something other than receiving
[22:51] <DanielRichman> :)
[22:51] sbasuita_ (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[22:52] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Disconnected by services
[22:52] Nick change: sbasuita_ -> sbasuita
[22:52] <sbasuita> sorry, i lost connection after "<Randomskk> is this foundation training?"
[22:52] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, want me to pm you the stuff?
[22:52] <Randomskk> I just agreed that it was boring and too long
[22:52] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, also looks like Max is trying to buy 2m equipment for the club; he doesn't have it already
[22:53] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, apparently this guy knows edmoore
[22:53] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, yep
[22:53] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, shotgun reply.
[22:54] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, what?
[22:55] <natrium> dude, edmoore knows everybody :D
[22:55] <DanielRichman> :P
[22:56] <jcoxon> night all
[22:56] jcoxon (~jcoxon@80.176.120.90) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[23:02] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, look at the size of the team he mentions is doing this
[23:02] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, that's crazy
[23:03] sbasuita (~sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Ping timeout: 240 seconds
[23:10] Action: LazyLeopard , having come in a bit late, wonders what the chat's about...
[23:10] <DanielRichman> LazyLeopard, go for it; http://pegasushabproject.org.uk/zeusbot/highaltitude.log.20100312
[23:11] <LazyLeopard> Cheers! (I think... ;)
[23:11] <DanielRichman> Yeah it's probably all boring really :P
[23:17] Action: LazyLeopard has the second half of a Foundation course to attend tomorrow, which is why the chatter pinged my filters.
[23:17] <DanielRichman> do you have the test tomorrow then, LazyLeopard ?
[23:18] <LazyLeopard> Yeah.
[23:19] <fsphil> I can't decide on a callsign
[23:19] <LazyLeopard> The thing that seems to spin the course out is all the practical stuff that needs signing off, and some of it's hostage to fortune...
[23:20] <LazyLeopard> fsphil: I hope I'll move on from M6 to 2E0 to M0 fairly quickly, so I'm unbothered exactly what the first two callsigns are...
[23:21] <fsphil> haha
[23:21] <fsphil> I'll probably be sticking with my MI6 for a while
[23:21] <DanielRichman> fsphil, the only advise I was given is that any callsigns with the letter 'X' in them will most likely be free
[23:21] <DanielRichman> hence M6DRX, M6SBX for sbasuita
[23:21] <DanielRichman> Actually M6DXR was taken but that would have just been cheesy.
[23:21] <DanielRichman> **free
[23:21] <natrium> whoa, MI6 007 would be cool
[23:22] <fsphil> hehe, MI6SPY is already taken :)
[23:22] <natrium> rofl
[23:22] <DanielRichman> that person is never gonna move off 10 Watts
[23:22] <fsphil> I did love the sign on the building when I went to the course ... "MI6 registration". Was a bit worried what I was signing up to!
[23:24] <LazyLeopard> I want to get to M0 fairly quickly because I travel abroad from time to time...
[23:24] <LazyLeopard> fsphil: Heh! ;)
[23:27] darknesslord_ (~darknessl@189.182.40.243) joined #highaltitude.
[23:38] LazyLeopard (~irc-clien@chocky.demon.co.uk) left irc: Quit: Bye
[23:44] fsphil (~phil@2001:470:1f09:483:21f:c6ff:fe44:b25b) left irc: Quit: Splat
[23:45] Laurenceb (~laurence@host81-154-84-43.range81-154.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Ping timeout: 248 seconds
[23:50] darknesslord_ (~darknessl@189.182.40.243) left irc: Quit: can i haz interlolz?
[23:51] natrium42 (~natrium@CPE000625d867e2-CM0014045885be.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #highaltitude.
[00:00] --- Sat Mar 13 2010