highaltitude.log.20090608

[00:01] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) left irc:
[00:20] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[00:33] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[00:48] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[00:53] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Client Quit
[01:32] Laurenceb (n=laurence@host86-159-200-131.range86-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[01:49] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[03:20] Tigga (n=chatzill@pc-232-235-14.magd.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[04:20] kc0wys (n=kc0wys@75-130-209-194.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com) left irc: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
[05:48] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:42] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.4.199) joined #highaltitude.
[07:51] #highaltitude: mode change '+o jcoxon' by ChanServ!ChanServ@services.
[07:52] Topic changed on #highaltitude by jcoxon!n=jcoxon@217.39.4.199: Welcome to #highaltitude - discuss anything to do with high altitude projects (balloons, gliders, etc) www.ukhas.org.uk, wiki.ukhas.org.uk - No Launches Planned
[08:01] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[08:19] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[08:30] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.4.199) left irc: "Leaving"
[08:56] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[09:19] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:23] g8khw-iPhone (n=RocketBo@82.132.136.210) joined #highaltitude.
[09:24] g8khw-iPhone (n=RocketBo@82.132.136.210) left #highaltitude.
[09:36] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:37] <rjharrison_work> edmoore: do you have a recommndation on a suitable mosfet for 3.3v operation from an avr for payload cutdown
[09:37] <edmoore> rapid do a logic level one that I think should work
[09:38] <rjharrison_work> Ok iwas getting over whelmed at farnell
[09:38] <edmoore> if not, a quick read up on driving mosfets might be a fun difersion for 15 mins
[09:38] <rjharrison_work> OK
[09:43] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[09:55] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[10:22] Futurity (n=Futurity@cpc1-cmbg15-2-0-cust43.5-4.cable.virginmedia.com) joined #highaltitude.
[10:33] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:06] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[11:09] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) left irc:
[11:17] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:24] Action: SpeedEvil should have just pointed rjharrison at a FET, not tried to explain :)
[11:28] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[11:29] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:31] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Client Quit
[11:32] Futurity (n=Futurity@cpc1-cmbg15-2-0-cust43.5-4.cable.virginmedia.com) left #highaltitude.
[11:34] Nick change: kingj -> KingJ
[11:48] edmoore (n=ed@chu-gw.churchillcambridge.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:56] <SpeedEvil> http://uk.farnell.com/rohm/rtr040n03tl/mosfet-p-vgs-2-5v/dp/1525562 http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-siliconix/si4466dy/mosfet-n-so-8/dp/9550577 maybe (to repaste when rjharrison gets in so I remember)
[12:34] edmoore (n=ed@chu-gw.churchillcambridge.co.uk) left irc:
[12:40] Futurity (n=Futurity@cpc1-cmbg15-2-0-cust43.5-4.cable.virginmedia.com) joined #highaltitude.
[13:06] edmoore (n=ed@chu-gw.churchillcambridge.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[13:15] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[13:26] GeekShado_ (n=Antoine@57.234.192-77.rev.gaoland.net) joined #highaltitude.
[13:27] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)
[13:41] edmoore (n=ed@chu-gw.churchillcambridge.co.uk) left irc:
[13:44] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[14:02] GeekShado_ (n=Antoine@57.234.192-77.rev.gaoland.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[14:05] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[14:24] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[14:42] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[14:43] <fergusnoble> edmoore: you there?
[14:43] <edmoore> briefly, just looking for my phone
[14:43] <edmoore> in my room somewhere
[14:44] <edmoore> oh, interesting email
[14:44] <edmoore> same bit of news has made it back to be directly and very indirectly
[14:44] <edmoore> about fields
[14:45] laurence__ (n=laurence@host86-159-200-131.range86-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[14:45] <edmoore> fergusnoble: what can I do you for?
[14:45] <SpeedEvil> rjharrison_work: http://uk.farnell.com/rohm/rtr040n03tl/mosfet-p-vgs-2-5v/dp/1525562 http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-siliconix/si4466dy/mosfet-n-so-8/dp/9550577
[14:46] <fergusnoble> edmoore: just wanted a status update on chu preps
[14:46] <edmoore> well, the status update is currently as per Dan's email
[14:46] <laurence__> fergusnoble: hows the rocket board comng on?
[14:46] <edmoore> laurence__: give us a minute
[14:46] <laurence__> :P
[14:47] <laurence__> fergusnoble: I'd grab a few ms of raw data over spi as a first step
[14:47] <fergusnoble> well, there is also the gas issue
[14:47] <edmoore> fergusnoble: once i get back from town, I will go and chat to John Moore and see if you can get a scrap
[14:47] <laurence__> then see if you can find any sats with a matlab script
[14:47] <fergusnoble> laurence__: will chat in a sec
[14:47] <fergusnoble> get a scrap?
[14:48] <edmoore> of field
[14:48] <fergusnoble> oh ok
[14:48] <edmoore> all the fields are basically in use full time this week
[14:48] <fergusnoble> have you asked about us getting access to the bunker?
[14:48] <fergusnoble> ok, cool
[14:48] <fergusnoble> tell them we wont take up much space
[14:48] Nick change: laurence__ -> Laurenceb_
[14:48] <edmoore> last i left it was about 4 days ago with the head of maintenance saying we can get to the bunker just by asking the porters lodge
[14:49] <edmoore> will check that applies to non college members
[14:49] <fergusnoble> even if its not you asking
[14:49] <edmoore> can you ask dan or you to phone the BOC number? I could be busy for about the next couple of hours in town getting stuff for tomorrow
[14:49] <Laurenceb_> the bunker?
[14:49] <edmoore> Laurenceb_: please, give us a minute
[14:49] <Laurenceb_> where you store the college MAD devices?
[14:50] <fergusnoble> Laurenceb_: where we store He
[14:50] Action: SpeedEvil realises the boat-race may be more serious than he thought.
[14:50] <edmoore> fergusnoble: will check with them - may have to nominate someone
[14:50] <fergusnoble> and our collection of broken microwaves
[14:50] <edmoore> should be ok, you did it over summer afterall
[14:51] <fergusnoble> yeah, Peter K knows of my existance
[14:52] <fergusnoble> ok, cool then, will sort out BOC
[14:52] <fergusnoble> let us know when you find out about the field
[14:52] Action: SpeedEvil wonders where he could source H from.
[14:52] <edmoore> cool. just tell them to deliver whenever.
[14:53] <fergusnoble> ok, its fine to have it delivered whenever?
[14:53] <fergusnoble> Laurenceb_: ok, rocket board...
[14:53] <fergusnoble> last time I worked on it was before easter
[14:54] <fergusnoble> but last i left it I had got data in through the SPI and writing to an SD card
[14:54] <edmoore> fergusnoble: whenever tomorrow. if not tomorrow then you'll have to sort it yourselves
[14:54] <fergusnoble> but unfortunately it didnt have any sats when we put it through matlab
[14:54] <edmoore> let me know when and I'll email peter with a rough heads up
[14:54] <edmoore> or email him directly yourself
[14:54] <fergusnoble> ok, cool beans
[14:56] <edmoore> found phone... see i missed a call from Dan
[14:56] <edmoore> are you with him and if so do I need to phone him back?
[14:56] <fergusnoble> i phoned you twice and it went straight to answerphone
[14:56] <fergusnoble> im not with him
[14:56] <fergusnoble> i think it was just for a stat update though
[14:56] <edmoore> ok cool
[14:57] ttyType (n=lee@host86-153-195-153.range86-153.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[14:57] <edmoore> my phone is such a pooey thing
[14:57] <fergusnoble> ok, brb
[14:57] <edmoore> fergusnoble: did you get my email?
[14:57] <fergusnoble> oh about predictor?
[14:58] <edmoore> yeah
[14:58] <fergusnoble> sure, ill send you a zip of my working dir
[14:58] <fergusnoble> what you want to do with it?
[14:58] <edmoore> occured to me there's no point writing a seperate predictor for this dynamics-based checksum thing
[14:58] <fergusnoble> very true
[14:59] <edmoore> and whilst you've made it pretty bomb proof, another person testing it can't hurt :)
[14:59] <fergusnoble> bear in mind that the ground software will have run a landing prediction from the last know point anyway, so it can use that
[15:00] <edmoore> may re-write the hamming distance stuff in C - matlab is a disaster zone for bitwise operations
[15:00] <fergusnoble> yeah cool
[15:00] <fergusnoble> could you not write it in python though, then it would integrate with the ground software
[15:01] <edmoore> sure
[15:01] <edmoore> i'll read up on python bitwise stuff
[15:01] <fergusnoble> its not too bad
[15:01] <edmoore> matlab is crap - doing the huffman coding for this image compression stuff was a real bodge
[15:02] <fergusnoble> hehe yeah
[15:02] <fergusnoble> i think that made some of the gps code less than efficient too
[15:03] <edmoore> yeah, not suprising
[15:03] <edmoore> right, dashing to town - do you need anything?
[15:03] <fergusnoble> not really i dont think
[15:03] <fergusnoble> ok, brb, see you in a bit ed
[15:03] <edmoore> see you
[15:03] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[15:05] Futurity (n=Futurity@cpc1-cmbg15-2-0-cust43.5-4.cable.virginmedia.com) left irc:
[15:13] <Laurenceb_> fergusnoble: did you try an external active antenna?
[15:13] <fergusnoble> yup
[15:14] <fergusnoble> it could be an analog or a digital side problem
[15:14] <fergusnoble> i could have set up the spi peripheral wrong, e.g. sampled on wrong clock edge
[15:15] <fergusnoble> but I think its most likely on the analog side
[15:15] ttyType (n=lee@host86-153-195-153.range86-153.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "Leaving."
[15:16] <Laurenceb_> how do you interface both antennas?
[15:16] <Laurenceb_> the sma is after the inbuilt lna right?
[15:16] <Laurenceb_> so how did you do the transmission lines?
[15:17] <fergusnoble> yeah, you can mount a cap in one of two places which decides if the sma or the chip antenna are used
[15:17] <Laurenceb_> ah, sensible
[15:17] <Laurenceb_> try an fft of the data
[15:17] <fergusnoble> we did
[15:17] <Laurenceb_> you might spot interference
[15:17] <fergusnoble> nothing obvious
[15:17] <Laurenceb_> my laptop gives off enough noise to almost saturate it :P
[15:18] <fergusnoble> it had a slightly odd pattern i think
[15:18] <Laurenceb_> just a sec I'll dig out my graphs
[15:18] <fergusnoble> compared to a real capture with no signal the noise pattern was different i think
[15:18] <fergusnoble> i cant really remember exactly as it was a while ago
[15:19] <Laurenceb_> http://imagebin.org/51845
[15:20] <fergusnoble> ok, cool, i dont really remember how it compared, there were no spikes
[15:20] <fergusnoble> but i think it had more high and low freq noise and less in the middle
[15:20] <Laurenceb_> doesnt sound right to me
[15:20] <fergusnoble> like a bowl rather than a hump in the middle
[15:20] <Laurenceb_> maybe a digital error
[15:20] <Laurenceb_> oh yeah ok
[15:21] <Laurenceb_> yeah I rearranged mine so it was easier to read
[15:21] <fergusnoble> oh right, it could be that aliasing thing?
[15:21] <fergusnoble> just need to reorder the two halves of the fft?
[15:23] <Laurenceb_> hmm
[15:23] <Laurenceb_> no sounds like you did it correctly
[15:23] <Laurenceb_> what mode were you operating the sige in?
[15:23] <Laurenceb_> - number of bits, sample rate?
[15:23] <fergusnoble> cant remember, it was one of the 4mbit modes
[15:23] <fergusnoble> or 2mbit
[15:24] <fergusnoble> which ever is half speed
[15:24] <fergusnoble> can remember how we asked it to be decimated, but yeah there could be an issue there
[15:24] <Laurenceb_> yeah I got that screwed up a few times
[15:25] <Laurenceb_> but if you see something hump shaped in the fft your prob doing it right
[15:25] <Laurenceb_> but you should see noise peaks if theres anything remotly electronic nearby
[15:25] <fergusnoble> that is just an artifact of the shape of the recieve filters right?
[15:25] <Laurenceb_> yes
[15:25] <Laurenceb_> low pass filter
[15:25] <Laurenceb_> - its a direct downconversion front end
[15:26] <fergusnoble> yup
[15:26] <Laurenceb_> try putting the antenna next to your motherboard
[15:26] <Laurenceb_> that graph was on my latop keyboard
[15:26] <fergusnoble> so if the analog end were doing anything then a) it should show noise, b) should show the shape of the recieve filters
[15:27] <fergusnoble> so maybe it is looking like a digital problem
[15:27] <fergusnoble> which would be nice as they are easier to debug
[15:29] <Laurenceb_> well you appear to see the shape of the filters
[15:29] <Laurenceb_> but you really should see some noise
[15:30] <fergusnoble> i was planning on working on it again after this next launch so i will pester you when im set up with it again :)
[15:30] <fergusnoble> i do see the filters?
[15:30] <Laurenceb_> its so sensitive - any nearby clock lines will throw off some harmonics
[15:30] <Laurenceb_> if you see a guassianish peak in the fft then yes
[15:30] <fergusnoble> it was a dip though rather than a peak
[15:30] <Laurenceb_> ah....
[15:32] <Laurenceb_> yeah my graph I rearranged the fft, the peak was origionally centered around 0
[15:32] <fergusnoble> our antenna is mounted outside and comes in through the window so it may have been quite quiet
[15:32] <Laurenceb_> yeah
[15:32] <Laurenceb_> I'd try it inside to start with, near something noisy
[15:32] <Laurenceb_> the red graph on that image is with no antenna
[15:33] <fergusnoble> ok, so still has the same shape
[15:33] <Laurenceb_> yep
[15:58] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[15:59] <edmoore> fergusnoble: we've got launch space
[16:00] <fergusnoble> cool, i just put in an order for the gas
[16:00] <edmoore> cool
[16:00] <fergusnoble> where are we launching then?
[16:00] <edmoore> middle field, there or there abouts
[16:00] <fergusnoble> ok sweet
[16:00] <edmoore> just play it by ear and stay ut of the way if something obvous is going on
[16:00] <fergusnoble> yeah, of course
[16:01] <fergusnoble> btw, its seems as though our wiki has been hacked
[16:01] <edmoore> can ed have a zip file... :p
[16:01] <edmoore> so I see
[16:01] <edmoore> poo to that
[16:01] <fergusnoble> and disabled by the srcf admins
[16:01] <fergusnoble> so it was fun extracting the details from the wiki data files on the commandline
[16:01] <edmoore> :)
[16:02] <edmoore> maybe trac next time round?
[16:03] <fergusnoble> pha
[16:03] <fergusnoble> i think a wiki is more suitale
[16:03] <fergusnoble> we can probably recover the wiki anyway, its not permanently damaged i dont think
[16:04] <edmoore> ok cool
[16:04] <edmoore> though trac is a wiki
[16:04] <edmoore> with tightly integrated svn
[16:04] <edmoore> or vice versa
[16:05] <fergusnoble> and lots of other stuff like bug tracking no?
[16:05] <fergusnoble> if its just wiki+svn that could be good
[16:05] <fergusnoble> anyway, need to get my ass down to the IfM
[16:06] <edmoore> ok, good luck
[16:06] <fergusnoble> see you later
[16:06] G8KHW (n=Steve@217.47.75.8) joined #highaltitude.
[16:06] <fergusnoble> ill just make that zip
[16:06] <Laurenceb_> wiki haczorz
[16:06] <fergusnoble> but really should you be coding on your holiday with tess?
[16:07] <edmoore> be prepared
[16:07] <edmoore> we may split up
[16:07] <edmoore> then i'd need something to do
[16:07] <edmoore> whilst on holiday
[16:07] <Laurenceb_> edmoore: get your priorities sorted !
[16:07] <fergusnoble> most people would just get drunk
[16:07] <fergusnoble> but meh
[16:07] <edmoore> i can get drunk on probabilistic modelling
[16:07] <Laurenceb_> rofl
[16:07] <fergusnoble> its a heady rew
[16:07] <fergusnoble> *brew
[16:08] <fergusnoble> anyhoo, can I borrow your radio too?
[16:08] <edmoore> probably tomorrow evening
[16:08] <edmoore> need it tomorrow
[16:08] <edmoore> p.s. can you work on the guys re: 817
[16:09] <edmoore> i can them come in from another compelling argument, pincer movement style
[16:09] <edmoore> and we'll have them beat
[16:09] <edmoore> thanks fergusnoble
[16:09] <fergusnoble> yeah, i think they will be keen anyway
[16:10] <fergusnoble> so you are staying for steve's launch tomorrow?
[16:11] <edmoore> yes, most probably
[16:11] <edmoore> then will have to head to london in the afternoon
[16:11] <fergusnoble> ok, i will pop up probably too
[16:11] <edmoore> i mean, i'll be churchill based i think
[16:11] <edmoore> but will do some listening
[16:11] <fergusnoble> yup
[16:11] <edmoore> it's not at chu anymore
[16:11] <fergusnoble> oh ok
[16:11] <edmoore> maybe you could set up a post with the 790
[16:11] <edmoore> in queens
[16:12] <fergusnoble> yup, could do
[16:12] <fergusnoble> ok, really need to get going now
[16:12] <edmoore> right, good luck
[16:12] <edmoore> i will so some packing
[16:12] <fergusnoble> ok, ye
[16:12] <edmoore> thanks again
[16:13] Nick change: fergusnoble -> fnoble|away
[16:15] <Laurenceb_> http://ratelulz.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1684
[16:40] Dan-K2VOL (n=dbowen1@74-143-44-45.static.insightbb.com) joined #highaltitude.
[16:44] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[16:52] <edmoore> hi Dan-K2VOL
[16:52] <Dan-K2VOL> hi edmoore
[16:57] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@78.144.245.8) joined #highaltitude.
[17:13] Dan-K2VOL (n=dbowen1@74-143-44-45.static.insightbb.com) left irc:
[17:14] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.7.252) joined #highaltitude.
[17:25] <rjharrison_work> edmoore: A PM for you
[17:35] <fnoble|away> rjharrison_work: is there any chance we could use the tracker website on Wednesday for our schools competition launch? i think we said to parents and such that they could follow the progress online
[17:35] Nick change: fnoble|away -> fergusnoble
[17:36] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: sure
[17:37] <fergusnoble> do we need to do anything other than setup the dlistener client?
[17:37] <rjharrison_work> You can use www.spacenear.us/tracker or robertharrison.org/tracker It should post to both
[17:38] <fergusnoble> ok, awesome
[17:38] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: You could do with the latest version of the client
[17:38] <jcoxon> fergusnoble, yeah we need a copy of you telem string really
[17:38] <rjharrison_work> Preferably a wav 24hr b4 hand
[17:38] <rjharrison_work> And I can test and make sure it works
[17:38] <rjharrison_work> :)
[17:39] <fergusnoble> jcoxon: its using the ukhas standard message format
[17:40] <fergusnoble> ill amke a wav and save some sample strings in a bit
[17:40] <fergusnoble> *make
[17:40] <rjharrison_work> are you doing lots of temp sensors again?
[17:41] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[17:43] <Laurenceb_> schools competition?
[17:43] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: If you are going to send up lots of temp sensors might be best to put the data in the custom fields at the end
[17:43] <fergusnoble> there aren't loads of temp sensors this time
[17:43] <rjharrison_work> ...,-20.3;-22.4;-35.3;-32.4*33
[17:44] <fergusnoble> and yup all other data it sends are in the extra fields
[17:44] <rjharrison_work> Ok cool
[17:44] <rjharrison_work> Separated with semi colons ;
[17:44] <rjharrison_work> ?
[17:44] <fergusnoble> oh, are the extra fields separated with semi colons now?
[17:44] <fergusnoble> i can change it to be like that
[17:44] <rjharrison_work> Yep and it all get's stored in a custom field in the database
[17:45] <rjharrison_work> Up to 2GB per line hehe
[17:45] <fergusnoble> so what is the latest ukhas format just so i can check ive got it right?
[17:45] <fergusnoble> hehe
[17:45] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.7.252) left irc: "Leaving"
[17:46] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: http://wiki.ukhas.org.uk/projects:dlistener
[17:46] <fergusnoble> oh, lots of new fields
[17:46] <rjharrison_work> Note the custom separator and the optional fields
[17:47] <rjharrison_work> Yep if your data fits in them use them if not shove it in custom
[17:47] <rjharrison_work> If I get time you may even be able to pull stats out on the fly
[17:47] <fergusnoble> so do i just send zero or something for the ones that i dont have data for?
[17:47] <rjharrison_work> no just leave them out
[17:47] <fergusnoble> ok cool
[17:47] <rjharrison_work> XML sentance definition now
[17:48] <rjharrison_work> Customised per payload
[17:48] <fergusnoble> hehe
[17:48] <SpeedEvil> xml header emitted on first boot by the payload?
[17:48] <fergusnoble> thats awesome
[17:48] <rjharrison_work> http://www.robertharrison.org/listen/icarus.xml
[17:49] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: this is what they look like. I'll knock it up for your payload
[17:49] <rjharrison_work> Still need to make a form to gen the xml
[17:49] <fergusnoble> ok, ill get on with setting up the badger
[17:49] <fergusnoble> wanted to try and get it sending speed info if I have time
[17:50] <Laurenceb_> 3D velocity :P
[17:50] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: are you going to put in check sum too?
[17:50] <fergusnoble> yup, will do
[17:50] <rjharrison_work> Ok coo
[17:50] <rjharrison_work> l
[17:51] <rjharrison_work> Will head home now look forward to XABEN7/8 tomorrow
[17:52] <fergusnoble> so close to having the predictor packaged up and ready to go
[17:52] <fergusnoble> I could send you the main program though if you wanted to have a look at how hard it would be to integrate
[17:52] <rjharrison_work> fergusnoble: You should update your client using the source from here svn checkout http://dl-fldigi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ dl-fldigi
[17:53] <fergusnoble> ok, cool
[17:53] <rjharrison_work> ./configure make make install
[17:53] <fergusnoble> is that better than the python?
[17:53] <rjharrison_work> Yep
[17:53] <fergusnoble> ok, cool
[17:53] <fergusnoble> out of interest whats the difference?
[17:53] <rjharrison_work> Auto configures payload ascii shift etc...
[17:54] <rjharrison_work> Deals with G8KHW /r/n at the end of sentance
[17:55] <fergusnoble> ok cool
[18:01] <rjharrison_work> You can have both fldigi and dl-fldigi installed on your eee
[18:02] <rjharrison_work> You may need to read the fldigi compile guide to install the correct libraries
[18:03] <fergusnoble> ok
[18:03] <rjharrison_work> right off home
[18:03] <rjharrison_work> ttfn
[18:03] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) left irc:
[18:07] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[18:10] rjharrison_work (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) left irc: Client Quit
[18:10] Laurenceb_ (n=laurence@host86-159-200-131.range86-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "The day microsoft make something that doesnt suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner"
[18:23] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@78.144.245.8) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[18:44] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.4.9) joined #highaltitude.
[18:51] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[18:51] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[18:54] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[18:55] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[19:10] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.4.9) left irc: "Leaving"
[19:12] edmoore (n=ed@bismuth.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[19:23] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) joined #highaltitude.
[19:26] <edmoore> hi rjharrison
[19:27] <edmoore> new iphone software - 3.0 being announced now. looks like some pretty nice stuff
[19:27] <edmoore> could be great for us
[19:28] <edmoore> a complete tracking solution (minus radio) in your pocket
[19:28] <SpeedEvil> bluetooth would work
[19:28] <SpeedEvil> All you need is a 30m dish
[19:28] <SpeedEvil> Nothing else to buy!
[19:30] <rjharrison> edmoore coo
[19:30] <rjharrison> l
[19:30] <rjharrison> will have a look
[19:30] <edmoore> it's completely live so it won't be on the apple website yet
[19:31] <edmoore> and they now have a completely integrated tomtom app
[19:31] <edmoore> may have to get that...
[19:32] Action: SpeedEvil wishes tomtom would supply binary packages for arm.
[19:44] fergusnoble (n=fergusno@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
[19:52] Snomi (n=Snomi@client-86-25-180-215.bkl-bng-012.adsl.virginmedia.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:53] Snomi (n=Snomi@client-86-25-180-215.bkl-bng-012.adsl.virginmedia.net) left irc: Client Quit
[19:54] swilly (n=swilly@adsl-226-196-168.gsp.bellsouth.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:56] Xenion (n=robert@p579FCE29.dip.t-dialin.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:56] swilly (n=swilly@adsl-226-196-168.gsp.bellsouth.net) left irc: Client Quit
[19:57] swilly (n=swilly@adsl-226-196-168.gsp.bellsouth.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:58] <edmoore> right, am definitely getting an iphone
[20:09] <akawaka> edmoore: you could write some packet radio software for it
[20:09] <edmoore> akawaka: that's the thinking
[20:09] <edmoore> decode, send to server over 3g, display on gmaps locally
[20:09] <edmoore> it could be a complete solution for tracking
[20:12] <natrium42> edmoore, new one's announced
[20:12] <natrium42> iphone 3gs
[20:12] <edmoore> natrium42: have been there listening :)
[20:12] <edmoore> well, reading
[20:12] <natrium42> :)
[20:12] <sbasuita> tomtom app?
[20:12] <edmoore> looks cool
[20:12] <edmoore> yeah - satnav
[20:12] <sbasuita> surely the google maps already does that
[20:12] <natrium42> compass is good too
[20:12] <edmoore> in a completey non bodgy way
[20:12] <edmoore> sbasuita: see above
[20:13] <sbasuita> =/
[20:13] Action: sbasuita not get
[20:14] <edmoore> gmaps atm is a bit bodgy for satnav
[20:14] <sbasuita> oh right
[20:14] <edmoore> slow, missing some nice standard satnav functionality
[20:15] <sbasuita> but i thought apple rejected apps that conflicted with the ones it bundles
[20:16] <edmoore> they just featured it in their keynote so I presume not
[20:16] Xenion (n=robert@p579FCE29.dip.t-dialin.net) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[20:16] <edmoore> FUCK!!!
[20:16] <natrium42> what?
[20:17] <edmoore> arse, I'm working on some code for our predictor and some other stuff, tried to clean up some of the temporary files the text editor saves
[20:17] <sbasuita> uh oh
[20:17] <edmoore> wanted to type: prompt> rm *~ <enter>
[20:17] <edmoore> instead:
[20:17] <natrium42> i see where it's going
[20:17] <sbasuita> hehe
[20:17] <natrium42> space?
[20:17] <edmoore> prompt > rm * <enter>
[20:17] <sbasuita> ouch
[20:17] <KingJ> uh oh
[20:17] <edmoore> prompt > ~
[20:18] <edmoore> time machine is saving me...
[20:19] <edmoore> it's basically just the world's most ludicrous gui for subservsion
[20:22] swilly (n=swilly@adsl-226-196-168.gsp.bellsouth.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[20:22] <edmoore> got off lightly. A guy in the research group in the department did rm -r * on an old linux craptop, just to see what happened, because he was getting rid of it anyway
[20:23] <edmoore> then he got an email from the computer office asking if next time he could kindly unmount network shares _before_ doing that
[20:23] <KingJ> haha, oops
[20:24] <sbasuita> oh gawd
[20:24] <sbasuita> that's happened to me before
[20:25] <sbasuita> mounting music collections over network shares :S
[20:25] <sbasuita> type command; notice crazy network activity; stare blankly for a few seconds; CTRL+CCTRL+CCTRL+CCTRL+CCTRL+CCTRL+C
[20:28] <edmoore> often best to physicaly launch yourself at the network cable
[20:51] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) joined #highaltitude.
[20:54] edmoore (n=ed@bismuth.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[20:55] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.7.252) joined #highaltitude.
[20:57] <jcoxon> hey ed
[20:57] <jcoxon> oh wait missed him
[20:57] <jcoxon> damn
[20:57] <icez> by seconds
[20:57] <jcoxon> wow
[20:57] <jcoxon> iphone for 99 dollars
[20:59] <jcoxon> perhaps i should have waited for an iphone
[20:59] Action: jcoxon loves his android phone
[20:59] <icez> ohh, have you tried that google skymap thingy for android?
[21:00] <jcoxon> yeah
[21:00] <jcoxon> really cool
[21:01] <icez> my phone only does calls and contacts :P
[21:01] <icez> i dont use it much
[21:05] <jcoxon> i use mine really just for internet access
[21:05] <jcoxon> actually just email and wikipedia
[21:11] fergusnoble (n=fergusno@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[21:12] fergusnoble (n=fergusno@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Client Quit
[21:29] fergusnoble (n=fergusno@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[21:29] <fergusnoble> hi
[21:30] <fergusnoble> rjharrison: can you check that we're getting the checksums right
[21:30] <fergusnoble> $$Badger,42,20:29:36,52.2017,0.114845,12.9165,7,6,0,0,0*14
[21:30] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: "Leaving"
[21:31] <jcoxon> hey fergusnoble
[21:34] <fergusnoble> hi jcoxon
[21:35] <jcoxon> fergusnoble, feed the data into the server
[21:35] <jcoxon> it'll check it and we can see if it allows it in view.php
[21:37] <fergusnoble> ok cool
[21:38] <fergusnoble> its not following the new semicolon thingy for othr data yet
[21:38] <jcoxon> okay
[21:38] <jcoxon> well everything has changed a bit now
[21:38] <jcoxon> as the server when it receives as string identifies the payload and hten referes to the xml file for how to read it
[21:39] <jcoxon> so it depends if a xml has been generated for badger
[21:39] <jcoxon> guess not yet
[21:40] <fergusnoble> oh ok, isee
[21:41] <jcoxon> it works rather well,
[21:42] <jcoxon> both the server and dl-fldigi read teh xml file
[21:42] <jcoxon> so as long as your xml is up to date you don't need to stick to the standard
[21:43] <fergusnoble> ok awesome
[21:43] <fergusnoble> so we can choose our own format to basically be anything we want
[21:44] <jcoxon> pretty much
[21:44] <jcoxon> they are a few rules
[21:44] <jcoxon> 1 string format
[21:45] <fergusnoble> would it be easiest for you guys if we made it stick to what rharrison is doing, only not to send any optional fields and put everything else in other dart
[21:45] <jcoxon> actually that might be it
[21:45] <fergusnoble> *data
[21:45] <jcoxon> yes
[21:46] <fergusnoble> ok, we'll do that then :)
[21:46] <jcoxon> as the server seperates out the custom data into another database
[21:46] <fergusnoble> ok, neat
[21:46] <jcoxon> have you got the new dl-fldigi clinet?
[21:46] <jcoxon> client*
[21:48] <fergusnoble> not yet, was just about to start setting that up
[21:49] <jcoxon> okay, shout if you need any help
[22:07] fergusnoble (n=fergusno@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[22:08] fnoble (n=fnoblef@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[22:10] <fnoble> jcoxon, should i use the ubuntu packages to install dl-fldigi?
[22:14] <rjharrison> hey
[22:14] <fnoble> rjharrison, hi
[22:14] <fnoble> rjharrison, put the checksum in
[22:15] <jcoxon> fnoble, probably best to compile from source
[22:15] <jcoxon> not sure that sbasuita has updated his debs
[22:15] <fnoble> ok, ill check if it corresponds to the latest svn revision
[22:16] <sbasuita> I can do that now if you want
[22:16] <sbasuita> jcoxon
[22:16] <sbasuita> currently revision 56
[22:16] <fnoble> svn is up to 59
[22:17] <sbasuita> k i'll upload a new version
[22:17] <sbasuita> give me 5 mins ;)
[22:17] <fnoble> ok, thanks :)
[22:17] <fnoble> if its hassle though really dont worry
[22:17] <sbasuita> nah its good
[22:18] <fnoble> jcoxon, so does dl-fldigi give some kind of tracking interface?
[22:18] <fnoble> i.e. how do I display the data locally?
[22:26] <rjharrison> fnoble it's on the screen
[22:26] <rjharrison> No embeded tracker
[22:26] <rjharrison> website
[22:26] <rjharrison> nights
[22:26] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) left irc:
[22:27] <natrium42> yo
[22:28] <fnoble> natrium42, hi
[22:29] <natrium42> hi fergus
[22:29] <natrium42> i heard you are launching soon?
[22:29] <fnoble> hopefully on wednesday
[22:29] <sbasuita> did you say it was a school thing?
[22:30] <fnoble> yeah, we ran a competition for secondary school students to design an experiemtn
[22:30] <sbasuita> ah right
[22:30] <sbasuita> fnoble, your deb is cooking https://launchpad.net/~simrunbasuita/+archive/dl-fldigi
[22:30] <natrium42> cool
[22:31] <sbasuita> ETA 10 mins till i386 starts building or 1 hour if you're unlucky on amd64
[22:35] kc0wys (n=kc0wys@75-130-209-194.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:35] <sbasuita> Anyway, I'm going to make like rj and say night
[22:35] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: "Leaving"
[22:35] <natrium42> fnoble, have you ever used an online fabbing service? (e.g. emachineshop)
[22:36] Action: natrium42 needs to have some motor shaft attachments fabbed
[22:38] <jcoxon> fnoble, basically dl-fldigi is fldigi combined with the python client
[22:38] <jcoxon> so it doesn't have any local map imaging as such
[22:39] <jcoxon> its just a lot cleaner then the python client and far more advanced
[22:39] <jcoxon> such as reading xml files etc
[22:39] <fnoble> natrium42, nope never tried any
[22:39] <jcoxon> there are a couple of things you need to do once you've got it running
[22:39] <jcoxon> need to fill in your details in the config -> operator tab
[22:39] <fnoble> jcoxon, ok, ill let you know once ive got it going
[22:40] <jcoxon> i'm off to bed in a bit
[22:40] <jcoxon> will write it up on the wiki
[22:40] <fnoble> so how can i integrate it with my offline mapping?
[22:40] <fnoble> just tail the log file like before?
[22:40] <fnoble> ok, thanks
[22:40] <jcoxon> yup thats one option
[22:41] <jcoxon> as we have good access to the data now we can bring it out even more if you want
[22:41] <fnoble> does it decode the strings itself or is that done on the webserver?
[22:41] <jcoxon> sort of both
[22:41] <jcoxon> it runs a few checks on the data
[22:41] <jcoxon> before uploading them
[22:42] <jcoxon> so hte data is split up
[22:42] <fnoble> ok, so in terms of reading the data for local use i will have to parse it myself
[22:43] <jcoxon> at present yes
[22:43] <fnoble> ok, thats fine
[22:43] <jcoxon> but if you want i can easily parse it for you
[22:43] <fnoble> what do you mean?
[22:43] <fnoble> also, ive got a gps for the car, can i upload that to the server too?
[22:44] <jcoxon> well if you want i can get dl-fldigi to output the data in anyform you want
[22:44] <jcoxon> (basically we can intergrate dl-fldigi further into your code
[22:44] <jcoxon> )
[22:44] <jcoxon> fnoble, yes, rjharrison is the person to chat to about that
[22:44] <jcoxon> he has a c program that does it nicely
[22:45] <fnoble> hmm, well it would be easier if i could just get (out of a txt file or otherwise) decoded valid strings of telem
[22:45] <jcoxon> fair enough - then just parse the log
[22:46] <fnoble> ok, so fldigi uploads to you and then i just carry on and use the raw data just as i would be usually
[22:46] <jcoxon> yes
[22:46] <fnoble> ok neat-o
[22:47] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: "The cake is a lie !"
[22:49] <jcoxon> fnoble, once you've got it up and running it 'll make a lot more sense
[22:50] <fnoble> hehe ok :)
[22:50] <jcoxon> http://code.google.com/p/dl-fldigi/wiki/Settingdlfldigi
[22:54] <fnoble> thanks james, this is a real help
[22:54] <fnoble> bbiab, taking the badger for a cycle
[23:11] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@217.39.7.252) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[23:27] G8KHW (n=Steve@217.47.75.8) left #highaltitude.
[23:33] Laurenceb (n=laurence@dyres221-74.surrey.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[23:33] <Laurenceb> hi folks
[23:33] <fnoble> hi
[23:33] <Laurenceb> been trying to fix my laptop - very annoying
[23:33] <Laurenceb> I cant coax windows back to life
[23:36] <kc0wys> hi
[23:36] <kc0wys> system issues, eh?
[23:37] <Laurenceb> it rebboots as soon as I try to boot xp
[23:39] <fnoble> ok this isbad
[23:39] <fnoble> badger no longer wants to write to sd cards
[23:40] <Laurenceb> is it also running windows? :P
[23:46] <kc0wys> haha
[23:56] <kc0wys> gotta run to the store, i'll be back later
[23:56] kc0wys (n=kc0wys@75-130-209-194.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com) left irc:
[00:00] --- Tue Jun 9 2009