[00:07] bfirsh (n=ben@ joined #highaltitude.
[00:09] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[00:10] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: "Leaving"
[01:38] bfirsh (n=ben@ left irc:
[01:58] stilldavid_ (n=dave@c-76-114-23-245.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) joined #highaltitude.
[04:41] <stilldavid_> anyone here use a garmin gps 18 or similar?
[04:42] Laurenceb (n=laurence@dyres221-46.surrey.ac.uk) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[05:35] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:00] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:00] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: "Leaving"
[07:38] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[08:12] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[08:12] <jcoxon> morning all
[08:18] zsircusr1 (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[08:20] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) left irc: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
[08:22] <jcoxon> hi zsircusr1
[08:22] rjharrison (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[08:23] Nick change: zsircusr1 -> mc-
[08:23] <mc-> hi jcoxon
[08:24] <mc-> on the train
[08:24] <jcoxon> :-D
[08:24] <jcoxon> irc on the go
[08:25] <mc-> its great, person next to me is snoring
[08:28] g1zvn (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[08:30] <g1zvn> wonder if Ill be the first to irc from eurostar?
[08:30] <jcoxon> haha
[08:30] <rjharrison> lol
[08:30] #highaltitude: mode change '+o jcoxon' by ChanServ!ChanServ@services.
[08:30] <rjharrison> mc is irc on the move this morning
[08:31] <g1zvn> on the way to Paris
[08:31] Topic changed on #highaltitude by jcoxon!n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com: Welcome to #highaltitude - discuss anything to do with high altitude projects (balloons, gliders, etc) www.ukhas.org.uk, wiki.ukhas.org.uk - no planned launches at present - Big EARs though!
[08:31] Nick change: g1zvn -> zsircusr2
[08:32] zsircusr2 (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[08:32] Topic changed on #highaltitude by jcoxon!n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com: Welcome to #highaltitude - discuss anything to do with high altitude projects (balloons, gliders, etc) www.ukhas.org.uk, wiki.ukhas.org.uk - no planned launches at present - Big EARS though!
[08:46] mc- (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[08:50] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "This computer has gone to sleep"
[08:51] rjharrison (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) left #highaltitude.
[08:51] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[08:52] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Client Quit
[09:02] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:03] rjharrison (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) joined #highaltitude.
[09:06] <jcoxon> :-) its working
[09:07] zsircusr2 (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:10] <jcoxon> oooo ed finishes his exams in a few hours
[09:10] <jcoxon> he is going to be very very happy
[09:12] <zsircusr2> good luck ed
[09:12] Nick change: zsircusr2 -> mc-
[09:14] <mc-> any hab'ers in france?
[09:14] <mc-> france has lots of space
[09:14] <jcoxon> there was a group a while ago
[09:15] <jcoxon> but haven't seen anything for a while
[09:15] <mc-> did you see my qn about the canadian faa?
[09:17] <jcoxon> ummm not sure
[09:17] <mc-> just wondering if that contact was any use?
[09:17] <jcoxon> oh i passed it onto natrium42
[09:17] <jcoxon> not sure anything has been done
[09:17] <mc-> no worries
[09:17] <jcoxon> there is a meeting coming up with the FAA and Nav Canada about long duration balloons
[09:18] <jcoxon> to discuss coordination
[09:18] <mc-> is that good or bad?
[09:18] <jcoxon> good
[09:19] <jcoxon> they are generally positive about the amateur science stuff
[09:19] <jcoxon> but want more coordination before they give permission
[09:20] <mc-> I wonder if they will want a remote cutdown?
[09:20] <jcoxon> probably yes
[09:26] <rjharrison> That should be the challenge of '09
[09:27] <rjharrison> A reliable light and effective cutdown mechanism
[09:28] <mc-> should be possible with a small dsp
[09:28] <rjharrison> DSP?
[09:31] <jcoxon> digital signal processing
[09:31] <jcoxon> mc-, means as an uplink, you process the signal with a dsp to look for the cutdown command
[09:32] <jcoxon> ignore the comma after mc-
[09:34] <rjharrison> ahh
[09:35] <rjharrison> I was failing to see how dsp would cut the cable :)
[09:43] g1zvn (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:43] <g1zvn> digital signal processor
[09:44] <g1zvn> these tunnels are annoying...
[09:53] mc- (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[09:56] <jcoxon> bbl
[09:58] rjharrison (n=rharriso@gateway.hgf.com) left irc:
[10:01] g1zvn (n=zsirc@general-ld-216.t-mobile.co.uk) left irc: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
[10:11] bfirsh (n=ben@ joined #highaltitude.
[11:11] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:13] bfirsh (n=ben@ left irc:
[11:13] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Client Quit
[11:24] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[11:27] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Client Quit
[11:53] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[13:34] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[14:00] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@ joined #highaltitude.
[14:01] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[14:01] <jcoxon> ping natrium42 if you are around
[14:09] swilly (n=swilly@71-12-0-177.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com) joined #highaltitude.
[14:22] Laurenceb (i=83e34f19@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-a20a74dc99416110) joined #highaltitude.
[14:22] <Laurenceb> hi
[14:29] <jcoxon> isn't he over in your direction?
[14:32] stilldavid_ (n=dave@c-76-114-23-245.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) got netsplit.
[14:32] stilldavid_ (n=dave@c-76-114-23-245.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) returned to #highaltitude.
[14:33] <Laurenceb> should be
[14:33] <Laurenceb> no sign of him
[14:34] matt_APEX (n=chatzill@ip84.67-202-114.static.steadfast.net) joined #highaltitude.
[14:37] <Laurenceb> whats the next launch?
[14:40] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[14:41] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[14:43] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, ummmm rjharrison has an icarus payload ready
[14:43] <jcoxon> and i've nearly got a payload
[14:43] <jcoxon> this week is rubbish weatherwise - perhaps the weekend after
[14:45] <Laurenceb> yeah
[14:45] <Laurenceb> I want to stick a UM12 on something
[14:46] <jcoxon> oh right
[14:46] <jcoxon> what freq are they on?
[14:46] <jcoxon> hi swilly
[14:46] <Laurenceb> 434.2... something
[14:47] <jcoxon> or right
[14:47] <jcoxon> okay
[14:47] <swilly> hi - I actually just replied to your email (this is Wiliam)
[14:47] <Laurenceb> I got my modules talking last night
[14:47] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, i don't see why you can't tack it onto my flight
[14:47] <Laurenceb> failed to get anywhere with my arm kit :-/
[14:47] <Laurenceb> jcoxon: ok
[14:47] <jcoxon> thought could it be in an independent payload?
[14:47] <Laurenceb> I'm trying to get codesourcery working
[14:48] <jcoxon> swilly, yeah i got that from the email :-)
[14:48] <Laurenceb> well if I just supply power, we could bounce data off it
[14:48] <jcoxon> swilly, to answer your question - yes the gsm will reconnect when it gets back into range
[14:48] <swilly> great!
[14:48] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, okay - thats cool
[14:48] <swilly> do most of you launch in the UK?
[14:48] <SpeedEvil> yes
[14:49] <jcoxon> yes, most people are uk here however the US guys are on quite often
[14:49] <jcoxon> swilly, there are a number of cheap options for radio tracking
[14:49] <jcoxon> if you are in hte US getting APRS to work will make your life incredibly easy - though you'll need to get yourself a amateur radio licence
[14:51] <swilly> I will have to give that a shot - I've been looking for an excuse to get a license
[14:51] <jcoxon> in the US APRS is pretty much the standard method of tracking
[14:51] <jcoxon> that said there are alternatives (which are cheape)
[14:52] <jcoxon> here in the uk we use cheap 10mW radio modules and use the rtty protocol which is easy to program into a microcontroller
[14:52] <jcoxon> off 10mW we get a very impressive range
[14:52] <Laurenceb> I'm trying to understasnd elf files
[14:52] <Laurenceb> whats the difference between elf and a hex file?
[14:52] <swilly> 900MHz?
[14:52] <SpeedEvil> elf is a binary format designed to convey information to the system on how to load it
[14:53] <SpeedEvil> hex files are raw binary with no information - encoded in hex.
[14:53] <SpeedEvil> AIUI
[14:53] Action: SpeedEvil could be confused.
[14:54] <jcoxon> swilly, no 434Mhz
[14:54] <Laurenceb> yeah
[14:54] <Laurenceb> so how come you can appearntly flash an arm with elf?
[14:55] <jcoxon> swilly, we've even managed to downlink images - using sstv (though it was very slow!)
[14:55] <swilly> jcoxon, I saw the web page - very impressive!
[14:57] <swilly> jcoxon, I assume this would work similarly? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=560
[14:57] <swilly> does the 430Mhz range transmit that much better LOS than 900Mhz?
[14:58] <Laurenceb> I've got two modules
[14:58] <Laurenceb> aiming to try
[14:58] <Laurenceb> I'll prob do a range test this evening
[14:58] <SpeedEvil> #sparkfun - new
[14:58] <Laurenceb> - need to go to maplins first to get some breadboard (ewww)
[14:59] <Laurenceb> yeah
[15:00] <Laurenceb> hmm apparently go can pass an elf to openocd
[15:00] <jcoxon> swilly, the longer wavelength will improve the range, we usually use radiometrix modules as they are mroe flexible
[15:01] <Laurenceb> which makes no sense to me... but at least I've got codesourcery producing elfs
[15:02] <jcoxon> those modules use preset protocol - Laurenceb is going to test them soon on a flight so could turn out to be very good
[15:02] <Laurenceb> yeah
[15:02] <Laurenceb> I'll try a range test tonight
[15:02] <Laurenceb> they have stub antennas, but a ground plane is still needed?
[15:03] <jcoxon> :-) my flight computer weighs 158g with batteries
[15:03] <Laurenceb> what is it?
[15:03] <jcoxon> arduino + ublox + radiometrix
[15:03] <jcoxon> ummm i'm not sure how good that stub antenna will be
[15:04] <Laurenceb> nice
[15:04] <jcoxon> might be worth making a 1/4wave GP
[15:04] <Laurenceb> hmf I need to moan about my ublox
[15:04] <Laurenceb> yeah I have one on the mini rogallo
[15:04] <swilly> jcoxon, are you using an arduino pro mini? They clock in at ~1g
[15:04] <jcoxon> no just an arduino pro
[15:04] <Laurenceb> - my ublox has no black antenna cover
[15:05] <jcoxon> this is with extra strip board, wires and also insulation for the radio itself
[15:05] <jcoxon> i'm sure i could reduce it if required but 158g is just fine
[15:06] <Laurenceb> hmm I have some atmega168s... maybe I should rig up a mailbox
[15:07] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, i'm wondering - perhaps rig in a atmega 168 into the circuit to send periodic messages to test teh tx range as well
[15:08] <jcoxon> as if we have issues sending data up it'll be a shame to waste not getting data back
[15:08] <Laurenceb> guess so
[15:08] <Laurenceb> well it should be identical
[15:08] <jcoxon> it should, but...
[15:17] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, oh i see that the stubby ant is 1/4wave
[15:17] <jcoxon> a ground wave would help then i guess
[15:18] <Laurenceb> yes, but is <1/4
[15:18] <Laurenceb> guess its a helix
[15:18] <jcoxon> oh right, i was looking at the kit on sparkfun - it said 1/4 wave ant
[15:18] <jcoxon> fair enough - i'd make your own then
[15:25] <Laurenceb> really need a yagi for the ground
[15:25] <jcoxon> jsut need a convertor then i guess
[15:25] <jcoxon> from sma to bnc
[15:30] matt_APEX (n=chatzill@ip84.67-202-114.static.steadfast.net) left irc: "ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox 3.0/2008052906]"
[15:30] <Laurenceb> yeah I'll check maplins when I go to grab breadboard
[15:31] <jcoxon> you could easily make one
[15:31] <Laurenceb> might get an enclosure as well... but I'd really want usb/serial for that
[15:32] <Laurenceb> its prob not worth doing much work until I'm sure it will work on a hab
[15:34] stilldavid_ (n=dave@c-76-114-23-245.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) left irc:
[15:48] Jon_APEX (n=chatzill@93-97-184-163.zone5.bethere.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[16:03] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[16:05] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[16:19] Nick change: kingj -> KingJ
[16:30] <Laurenceb> this is giving me a headache
[16:30] Action: Laurenceb is trying to work out how to flash an lpc2148
[16:30] <jcoxon> jtag isn't it?
[16:30] <Laurenceb> sure
[16:31] <Laurenceb> thats abotu as far as I've got
[16:31] <jcoxon> :-)
[16:31] <Laurenceb> something to do with openocd
[16:31] <Laurenceb> I've got as far as compiling an ELF file
[16:32] <Laurenceb> 1) compile ELF 2) ??? 3) Profit
[16:32] <jcoxon> which proto board do you have?
[16:32] <Laurenceb> olimex one from sparkfun
[16:32] <jcoxon> oh right
[16:32] Matt_APEX (n=chatzill@host86-166-151-159.range86-166.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[16:33] <Laurenceb> it would help if I had a clue what I wasd doing
[16:33] <jcoxon> you going to put freertos on it?
[16:33] <Laurenceb> hopefully not
[16:33] <jcoxon> oh right
[16:34] <Laurenceb> try and avoid excessive stuff
[16:34] <Laurenceb> I want it for number crunching
[16:34] <Laurenceb> but first... I need to flash it
[16:34] <jcoxon> on windows or linux?
[16:34] <Laurenceb> linux
[16:36] <jcoxon> not really sure
[16:36] <jcoxon> ed or fergus are the people to chat to
[16:36] <jcoxon> i think there is a flash utlity but its probably for windows
[16:37] <Laurenceb> yeah its easier with wiondows
[16:37] <Laurenceb> but I want to use ubuntu
[16:38] <jcoxon> cheat and use wine
[16:39] <Laurenceb> I've got a headache... think I'll work on the UM12 modules instead
[16:40] <jcoxon> fair enough
[16:40] <jcoxon> i'm struggling through an arabic reading comprehension - having to look up literally every word
[16:42] Matt_APEX_ (n=chatzill@ joined #highaltitude.
[16:46] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpc21isp?
[16:46] <jcoxon> oops
[16:46] <jcoxon> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpc21isp
[16:47] <jcoxon> and http://pygmy.utoh.org/riscy/bootloader.html
[16:48] <jcoxon> that makes it look like a breeze!
[16:48] <Laurenceb> oh wow
[16:48] <Laurenceb> so much for my jtag cable
[16:48] <Laurenceb> thanks
[16:49] <jcoxon> :-)
[16:49] <Laurenceb> hmm I'll have to rig up serial tho
[16:49] <Laurenceb> but thats easy
[16:49] <jcoxon> i think it'll be worth it
[16:49] <Laurenceb> grr why did I buy a jtag
[16:49] <jcoxon> cause it'll be very usefull
[16:49] <Laurenceb> :P
[16:49] <jcoxon> jtag is always the solution to problems and no one ever has one
[16:50] <jcoxon> well not those who have problems
[16:50] <Laurenceb> hmm guess I should read the datasheet
[16:52] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[16:56] Matt_APEX (n=chatzill@host86-166-151-159.range86-166.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[17:06] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[17:07] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[17:10] edmoore (n=ed@88-202-195-141.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[17:11] <edmoore> hi all
[17:12] <edmoore> Laurenceb: i tried to spot you in the uni capus site but we were whipped around at high speed
[17:12] <Laurenceb> I'm on the research park
[17:12] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[17:12] <Laurenceb> did you go on the minibus?
[17:13] <Laurenceb> anyway, how was the exam?
[17:14] <edmoore> oh, well we had a wee look around both
[17:14] <edmoore> went in Stuart's car
[17:14] <Laurenceb> cool
[17:14] <edmoore> went into the clean room at the uni, and looked around the ground floor bits of the research park
[17:14] <Laurenceb> what did you think?
[17:14] <edmoore> operations room and so on
[17:14] <edmoore> i like it - very much better than astrium!
[17:15] <Laurenceb> I see
[17:15] <edmoore> the optical sat to survey GEO from LEO is very cool
[17:15] Action: SpeedEvil wonders why.
[17:15] <SpeedEvil> I suppose you get a much clearer sky
[17:16] <edmoore> that's exactly why
[17:16] <edmoore> most GEO tracking is optical
[17:16] <Laurenceb> you can use gps
[17:16] <edmoore> as radar has difficulty getting to 36,000km
[17:16] Action: SpeedEvil holds up his fusion-pumped radar.
[17:16] <edmoore> that involves needing a gps receiver on your geo sats
[17:16] <edmoore> and assumes they are working
[17:16] <edmoore> but yeah, guess the logic is that it's never cloudy in LEO
[17:17] <SpeedEvil> and not little bits after being smashed into by a old soviet sat
[17:17] Nick change: kingj -> KingJ
[17:17] <Laurenceb> exam good?
[17:17] <SpeedEvil> edmoore: know much about orbital collisions?
[17:19] <Laurenceb> edmoore: I have olimex arm jtag and lpc2148... trying to get it up and running
[17:20] <Laurenceb> think I'll ditch the jtag and try the bootloader
[17:21] <edmoore> SpeedEvil: not really
[17:21] <edmoore> Laurenceb: awesome
[17:21] <edmoore> they're great
[17:21] <Laurenceb> I've got as far as compiling an elf
[17:21] <edmoore> oodles of cpu is an lqfp64
[17:21] <edmoore> in*
[17:22] <Laurenceb> been trying my UM12 modules as well
[17:22] <Laurenceb> I'm going to try a range test tonight hopefully
[17:23] <Laurenceb> what do I do with the elf?
[17:23] <edmoore> flash the arm
[17:24] <Laurenceb> what with an elf straight off?
[17:24] <Laurenceb> dont I need toi convert it to a hex or something?
[17:27] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@ joined #highaltitude.
[17:29] <Laurenceb> http://www.embeddedrelated.com/groups/lpc2000/show/21519.php
[17:30] <Laurenceb> oh well I've gtg, cyas
[17:31] Laurenceb (i=83e34f19@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-a20a74dc99416110) left irc: "http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client"
[17:42] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, linux music players are the most retarded ever
[17:43] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, in jaunty, they've all ditched iphone/touch support
[17:43] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, cause you can no longer manually specify a directory in any of them
[17:43] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, Having trouble with Amarok (chuckle chukcle chahahah)! I'm fine with Rhythmbox, has never played up, great user interface and works fine.
[17:43] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, they're all using a stupid framework that auto-detects when you plug stuff in
[17:44] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, banshee, rhythmbox, amarok
[17:44] <sbasuita> they all don't work
[17:44] <sbasuita> it's going to have to be gtkpod
[17:44] <sbasuita> such a pain
[17:44] <sbasuita> Rhythmbox is also crap - it doesn't organise your filesystem
[17:45] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, Rhythmbox doesn't need to organise my filesystem, I have picard to do that. And when I plug my Ipod in it detects it.
[17:45] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, rhythmbox doesn't have musicbrainz built in
[17:45] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, so? I want to do it relativly-manually
[17:45] <DanielRichman> be sure its right
[17:45] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, amarok 1.4 was fine
[17:45] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, i might get it out of the ppa later
[17:51] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, can picard replace spaces with underscores?
[17:51] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, I believe so.
[17:51] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, how?
[17:52] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, actually. I don't think so. But a bash script sure can
[17:52] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, wow
[17:52] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, so my toolchain is now cdparanoia -> flac -> mp3 -> picard -> bash -> rhythmbox -> gtkpod
[17:52] <sbasuita> fun stuff...
[17:53] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, what a mess. Mine goes like this: cdparanoia -> flac & mp3 (bash script does it simultaneously) -> picard -> open rhythmbox (flac done) & transfer mp3s to windows partition, open Itunes (sync, job done)
[17:54] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, rofl
[17:54] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, why are you using itunes?
[17:55] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, because the last time i used gtkpod it was a mess.
[17:55] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, need to write a new music player
[17:56] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, no you don't.
[17:56] <sbasuita> yes i do
[17:58] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, most unhelpful channel ever:
[17:58] <sbasuita> <sbasuita> Can I get Picard to replace spaces with underscores?
[17:58] <sbasuita> <sbasuita> (in filesystem names)
[17:58] <sbasuita> <FauxFaux> Yes.
[17:58] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, I took a quick look and couldn't find the option, but meh.
[17:59] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, maybe over half term I'll write a patch for rhythmbox that allows you to specify a directory to treat as an ipod
[17:59] <sbasuita> or arbitrary media player
[18:00] <sbasuita> ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND
[18:00] <DanielRichman> ..^ expected apostrophe
[18:01] <sbasuita> ..^ expected nobody cares
[18:01] <sbasuita> Besides, how can you launch a balloon without some tunes?
[18:01] Hiena (n=Hiena@ joined #highaltitude.
[18:02] <sbasuita> DanielRichman, figured it out: $lower($replace(%albumartist%/%album%/$num(%tracknumber%,2) %title%, ,_))
[18:02] <DanielRichman> sbasuita, nice.
[18:07] Laurenceb (n=laurence@dyres221-46.surrey.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[18:07] <Laurenceb> screw maplins
[18:07] <Laurenceb> why do they have to close at 6
[18:16] Daviey (n=Daviey@ubuntu/member/pdpc.gold.Daviey) joined #highaltitude.
[18:26] <edmoore> jcoxon: i may be out tonight with family still - u def not arnd?
[18:26] <jcoxon> ummm i'm going to try to we awake
[18:28] <edmoore> weeing when asleep can be messy
[18:28] <Laurenceb> lol
[18:33] <jcoxon> hehe
[18:33] <jcoxon> be *
[18:40] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) joined #highaltitude.
[18:42] Jon_APEX (n=chatzill@93-97-184-163.zone5.bethere.co.uk) left irc: "ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox 3.0.9/2009040821]"
[18:55] edmoore (n=ed@88-202-195-141.rdns.as8401.net) left irc:
[19:12] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) joined #highaltitude.
[19:22] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) left irc: "leaving"
[19:22] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) joined #highaltitude.
[19:38] <Laurenceb> hmm this is a bit poor
[19:39] <Laurenceb> the um12 cant tx and rx at the same time
[19:43] rjharrison (n=rharriso@ joined #highaltitude.
[19:44] <rjharrison> evening all
[19:45] <rjharrison> Lot's of quiet people
[19:45] <rjharrison> BOO !!!
[19:46] <sbasuita> : O
[19:47] <jcoxon> hello rjharrison
[19:47] <sbasuita> Anybody know the biological test for fat?
[19:47] <sbasuita> (jcoxon, I'm looking at you ;P)
[19:50] <natrium42> yo
[19:52] <jcoxon> sbasuita, hmmm in what sense?
[19:52] <sbasuita> jcoxon, say I had a slab of butter. How would I show it contained fat?
[19:53] <SpeedEvil> look on the label.
[19:53] <sbasuita> SpeedEvil, I would be hesitant to submit the answer "look on the label" in a biology exam ;)
[19:54] <rjharrison> Burn it calarific value
[19:55] <rjharrison> I think the fat will also form an emulsion in somthing
[19:55] <jcoxon> it makes paper go see through?
[19:55] <sbasuita> =/
[19:55] <jcoxon> or you can stain lipids
[19:56] <sbasuita> jcoxon, the second seems much more scientific
[19:57] <rjharrison> http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/food_chemistry.htm#3
[19:57] <rjharrison> Read top para
[19:57] <rjharrison> I have done this before
[19:57] <jcoxon> sudan staining
[19:57] <jcoxon> thats it
[19:57] Action: rjharrison thinks GCSE Bio
[19:57] <sbasuita> Hmmm
[19:57] <sbasuita> I saw that, read the wiki
[19:57] <sbasuita> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_III
[19:57] <jcoxon> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_stain
[19:57] <sbasuita> doesn't mention fat staining
[19:57] <sbasuita> ah
[19:57] <sbasuita> ; P
[19:57] <SpeedEvil> Compare the density against a fat kid.
[19:58] <jcoxon> sbasuita, its stains triglycerides
[19:58] <jcoxon> which is fat
[19:59] <jcoxon> bbl
[19:59] <rjharrison> http://iws.ccccd.edu/mweis/Images/Models/2401models/cell%20models/cell%20models%20photo/cell_emulsion_sudan.jpg
[19:59] <sbasuita> Right. It seems my eyes glazed over the technical terms ;)
[19:59] <rjharrison> lol
[19:59] <sbasuita> Anyway, thanks guys :)
[20:00] <jcoxon> np
[20:00] <rjharrison> Hi natrium42
[20:00] <rjharrison> BTW whats the max number for UKHAS
[20:00] <jcoxon> max number?
[20:00] <rjharrison> in IRC?
[20:01] <rjharrison> On
[20:01] <jcoxon> oh we are approaching it
[20:01] <rjharrison> - #ha would have been a better description :)
[20:02] <sbasuita> Where are those stats that you put up again jcoxon ?
[20:02] <jcoxon> oh i'd have to run it again one sec
[20:02] <jcoxon> actually bbl
[20:05] stilldavid (n=djstillm@webd.CSUChico.EDU) joined #highaltitude.
[20:06] <natrium42> jcoxon, will you be able to make the meeting today?
[20:14] rjharrison (n=rharriso@ left irc:
[20:15] <jcoxon> natrium42, yes
[20:15] <jcoxon> though only just considering it'll be 2am
[20:15] <jcoxon> i've spoken to steve so have his thoughts etc as well
[20:15] <natrium42> ok, sorry about it being so late i guess
[20:15] <natrium42> on behalf of us north americans :)
[20:15] <jcoxon> indeed
[20:15] <jcoxon> its okay
[20:16] <jcoxon> i've got nothing to do the next morning
[20:16] <jcoxon> will sleep in
[20:16] <natrium42> k
[20:28] <Laurenceb> just done a range test
[20:28] <Laurenceb> only ~1Km
[20:30] <swilly> Laurenceb, was that LOS?
[20:30] <Laurenceb> hmm make that 500m
[20:30] <Laurenceb> not at all
[20:30] <Laurenceb> two steel buildings and trees in the way
[20:30] <swilly> are you planning to send it up for a real test anytime soon?
[20:30] <Laurenceb> also just with these antenna
[20:31] <Laurenceb> - short stubby wips
[20:31] <Laurenceb> hopefully
[20:32] <swilly> do people normally just use the whip antennas?
[20:33] <Laurenceb> no
[20:33] <Laurenceb> yagi on the gnd and 1/4 wave on the balloon
[20:33] <swilly> ok
[20:33] <swilly> thanks!
[20:38] swilly (n=swilly@71-12-0-177.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[20:44] rjharrison (n=rharriso@ joined #highaltitude.
[20:44] <rjharrison> MOSFET
[20:44] <rjharrison> A Transformer
[20:45] <rjharrison> Can be used as a switch?
[20:46] <rjharrison> Can I use it to switch say 9v 3A using 3.3v from an AVR?
[20:46] <rjharrison> I assume the answer is yes
[20:49] <SpeedEvil> A FET isn't a traansformer
[20:49] <SpeedEvil> you can - with the right FET - switch the ground-side of a 9V load using a low threshold N-channel FET
[20:50] <SpeedEvil> with basically only a resistor for oops prevention on the AVR->FET gate
[20:55] <Laurenceb> I cant work out how the UM12 modules switch from tx to rx
[20:55] <Laurenceb> they dont seem to be able to handle both functions at once
[20:55] <Laurenceb> which is rather sucky
[20:55] <Laurenceb> it should be able to buffer data
[21:15] Hiena (n=Hiena@ left irc: "-=Mi ez a szag? Hippit égettéll?=-"
[21:17] <Laurenceb> guess you wait till theres no data coming out then transmit
[21:17] <Laurenceb> seriously sucky firmware :(
[21:28] <SpeedEvil> np: Flash Gordon the soundtrack - Flash, Ahaaaa!
[21:30] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: "Leaving"
[21:36] <rjharrison> lol
[21:36] <rjharrison> Thanks SpeedEvil
[21:36] <rjharrison> for the info
[21:36] <rjharrison> I have my beacon working now
[21:36] <rjharrison> on 650
[21:36] <rjharrison> ~1hz
[21:39] <rjharrison> .
[21:51] Matt_APEX_ (n=chatzill@ left irc: "ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox 3.0.10/2009042316]"
[21:52] <SpeedEvil> woo!
[22:11] edmoore (n=ed@88-202-195-141.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[22:12] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@ left irc: "Leaving"
[22:23] <natrium42> edmoore
[22:23] <edmoore> yo
[22:23] <natrium42> heya
[22:23] <natrium42> going to be on today at 2 am? :)
[22:25] <Laurenceb> hi ed
[22:25] <Laurenceb> i did a um12 range test
[22:26] <Laurenceb> got 500m, but there were 2 buildings and trees in the way
[22:26] <edmoore> natrium42: been for a long long meal with family
[22:26] <Laurenceb> and I just had wips
[22:26] <edmoore> not really in a state for certain late night activites
[22:27] <Laurenceb> what happens
[22:29] borism (n=boris@ joined #highaltitude.
[22:30] <natrium42> edmoore, kk
[22:30] <natrium42> although somebody from CUSF would be cool :P
[22:30] <natrium42> but it should be recorded
[22:31] <edmoore> i would need about 10 coffees
[22:31] <edmoore> and that would ruin the red wine aftertaste
[22:31] <edmoore> there'll be more
[22:31] <natrium42> XD
[22:32] <natrium42> "but is there any blood in your caffeine system?"
[22:33] edmoore_ (n=ed@88-202-207-91.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[22:34] <edmoore_> i inished my undergrad finals today
[22:34] <edmoore_> wooooooooooooooooooooo
[22:34] <edmoore_> went out with a bang
[22:34] <Laurenceb> good last exam?
[22:35] <edmoore_> medium
[22:36] <edmoore_> digitial signal and pattern proc
[22:36] <edmoore_> 4 questions
[22:36] <edmoore_> one on FFTs, one on mapping analog filters to IIR, one on auto-regressive moving average filters, and one on soft k-means clustering
[22:37] <edmoore_> quite a tough course but it went ok
[22:46] edmoore_ (n=ed@88-202-207-91.rdns.as8401.net) left irc:
[22:47] <Laurenceb> 4 questions thats short
[22:47] <Laurenceb> bet they were solid questions
[22:47] <Laurenceb> ooh hes gawn
[22:51] <Laurenceb> what happens at 2am?
[22:52] edmoore (n=ed@88-202-195-141.rdns.as8401.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[23:02] Action: Laurenceb wonders what to do next
[23:02] Action: Laurenceb has too much kit to play with
[23:03] <Laurenceb> I think the FEC onboard the UM12 is used to determine the probability of signal presence
[23:04] <Laurenceb> so the module goes to Rx mode, looks for a valid signal, then if none is found it checks for data to transmit
[23:04] <Laurenceb> then transmits any data before returning to rx mode and checkng for any signal
[23:05] <Laurenceb> all rather basic - its possible to do much better
[23:06] <jcoxon> hey all
[23:09] <natrium42> hey james
[23:09] G8KHW (n=Steve@ joined #highaltitude.
[23:10] <jcoxon> hey natrium42
[23:10] <natrium42> jcoxon, let's do a skype test before the meeting
[23:10] <natrium42> maybe in 1 hour or so?
[23:10] <jcoxon> yup
[23:10] <Laurenceb> the meeting
[23:10] <natrium42> k, great
[23:10] <natrium42> Laurenceb, airspace regulations discussion
[23:11] <natrium42> with groups from north america
[23:11] <natrium42> apparently PBH got a slap on the wrist or something
[23:11] <Laurenceb> ah cool
[23:11] <Laurenceb> on skype?
[23:12] <natrium42> yeah
[23:12] Action: Laurenceb doesnt use skype
[23:12] <Laurenceb> guess I should get it running
[23:12] <natrium42> ISR, Skype uses YOU
[23:14] <jcoxon> hehe
[23:16] <jcoxon> i don't think dan realised that we are in BST right now not GMT
[23:16] <jcoxon> which makes this conference even more painful timewise :-p
[23:17] <natrium42> so when is it your time?
[23:19] <jcoxon> 2am
[23:22] <Laurenceb> hmm my microphone isnt picking anything up
[23:29] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: "Leaving"
[23:31] G8KHW (n=Steve@ left irc: "Leaving"
[23:33] <Laurenceb> hmf
[23:33] <Laurenceb> cant get my microphone to work
[23:35] <Laurenceb> wheres the meeting anyway?
[23:47] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[00:00] --- Fri May 8 2009