highaltitude.log.20090501

[00:11] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[00:17] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: "The cake is a lie !"
[00:24] <rjharrison> .
[00:24] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) left irc:
[00:53] epictetus (n=pattm@static-71-174-73-53.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) got netsplit.
[00:53] kleinjt (n=kleinjt@tarsonis.dhcp.rose-hulman.edu) got netsplit.
[00:53] kingj (n=KingJ@95.154.197.17) got netsplit.
[00:54] epictetus (n=pattm@static-71-174-73-53.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:54] kleinjt (n=kleinjt@tarsonis.dhcp.rose-hulman.edu) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:54] kingj (n=KingJ@95.154.197.17) returned to #highaltitude.
[01:08] <Laurenceb> http://wiki.ukhas.org.uk/code:interrupt_driven_ubx
[01:15] <Laurenceb> TSIP is a nice protocol imo
[01:17] <Laurenceb> but UBX has a velocity error field
[05:41] Laurenceb (n=laurence@dyres221-145.surrey.ac.uk) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[06:51] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@81.187.157.65) joined #highaltitude.
[07:07] mc_ (n=zsirc@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) joined #highaltitude.
[07:37] mc_ (n=zsirc@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[07:51] AlexBreton (n=Alexande@client-86-25-181-221.bkl-bng-012.adsl.virginmedia.net) joined #highaltitude.
[07:51] AlexBreton (n=Alexande@client-86-25-181-221.bkl-bng-012.adsl.virginmedia.net) left #highaltitude.
[07:56] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:59] Nick change: kingj -> KingJ
[08:23] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[08:26] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) joined #highaltitude.
[08:33] <jcoxon> http://handley.org.uk/fzz/?page_id=66
[08:33] <jcoxon> very cool project
[08:43] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[08:54] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@81.187.157.65) left irc: "Leaving"
[08:58] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[08:59] <Hiena> jcoxon, nice to see as the peoples had a similar problems as me years before.
[09:00] <Hiena> I went through the same acid overheat -> melting envelope -> cooler steps.
[09:02] <Hiena> But instead a classic coil cooler in the bucket, i used the 5 litre gas washing tank filled with iced water.
[09:04] <gordonjcp> cool
[09:04] <gordonjcp> the term "acid overheat" makes me want to fire up the synths
[09:10] edmoore_ (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:10] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[09:11] <jcoxon> it looked like a really fun project
[09:11] <Hiena> Ehehehe...Well, the "exothermal muriatic acid based hydrogen forming reaction" is kind of long for my taste.
[09:13] <Hiena> It is. I used hydrogen fillin party ballons for balloon hunting, and 100l trashbags marking the edge of the modell field for the cropdusters.
[09:13] <jcoxon> :-)
[09:13] Action: jcoxon has just upgrade his phone
[09:14] <jcoxon> to a HTC magic hehe
[09:14] edmoore_ (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[09:14] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:20] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[09:21] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:21] <edmoore> whoops, IP clash
[09:21] <edmoore> morning everyone
[09:21] <jcoxon> good morning edmoore
[09:21] <edmoore> howdie
[09:21] <edmoore> all well?
[09:21] <edmoore> steve points out that the ukhas list of official flights is now at about 30
[09:23] <jcoxon> oooo good point
[09:23] <jcoxon> wow
[09:23] <jcoxon> we are doing well
[09:23] <jcoxon> yes - i may have stumbled across something very exciting with fldigi
[09:25] <edmoore> tell me
[09:25] <jcoxon> well they've added a new feature
[09:26] <jcoxon> which appears to search for [WRAP:beg] and [WRAP:end] in the data and save them to a seperate file
[09:26] <jcoxon> so what if we change this to something we want e.g. $$ and *00
[09:27] <jcoxon> the fldigi will automagically find our data
[09:27] <edmoore> nice
[09:27] <edmoore> although I am increasinly of the opinion that FEC would be useful
[09:28] <edmoore> In the last stages of yesterday's flight, for every one good data point that got uploaded to the tracker, i got 20 not-quite-right strings
[09:28] <edmoore> and lost it altogether below about 3km
[09:28] <edmoore> FEC would sort of the former and significantly reduce the latter (in terms of altitude)
[09:30] <edmoore> not sure how to do it with fldigi though, and the convenience and simplicity of the current set-up is a big factor
[09:32] <jcoxon> yes true
[09:32] <jcoxon> the thing is the DL system is only designed at present to cope with really good data
[09:34] <jcoxon> what i'd love to do is hack fldigi itself to upload the data
[09:34] <jcoxon> even if it was just raw data
[09:34] <jcoxon> and have the server do the work
[09:34] <edmoore> yeah
[09:34] <jcoxon> then you'd only need to run fldigi
[09:35] <edmoore> well FEC can be done at each node...
[09:35] <edmoore> I think dominoEX supports FEC
[09:35] <edmoore> infact I know it does, and fldigi supports it too
[09:35] <edmoore> may have to try a comparative thing sometime
[09:35] <jcoxon> ooo rob and i manged to do HF comms last night
[09:35] <jcoxon> well him to me
[09:35] <edmoore> ah cool
[09:36] <jcoxon> 100w on 80m :-p
[09:36] <edmoore> wow
[09:36] <jcoxon> though 25W worked
[09:36] <edmoore> that's a lot of juice
[09:36] <jcoxon> 10w didn't work too well and nothing on 5w
[09:37] <jcoxon> oooo as this code grabs the data between the wrap:beg and wrap:end and saves it to file i could instead have it POST it to the server direct...
[09:37] <edmoore> hf voice links between listeners would be cool :)
[09:37] <jcoxon> ed we have the intertubes for that
[09:37] <edmoore> but but
[09:37] <jcoxon> have you seen the pbh map - they 've got loads of listeners now
[09:38] <edmoore> infact yeah
[09:38] <edmoore> link me
[09:38] <jcoxon> http://courses2.cit.cornell.edu/sysen5960/
[09:38] <edmoore> optimism from the californians
[09:38] <jcoxon> hopefully that'll provide all the data
[09:39] <jcoxon> maybe for the early stuff
[09:40] <jcoxon> okay, have compiled a new copy of fldigi
[09:40] <jcoxon> now time to hack it a little
[09:42] <edmoore> :)
[09:42] <edmoore> does it build ok on your mac?
[09:42] <jcoxon> yes
[09:42] <jcoxon> and i can build dmg easily
[09:42] <jcoxon> there is a script
[09:43] <edmoore> cool
[09:43] <edmoore> well if you can get the raw binary stream out from the decoder, we'll be laughing
[09:43] <edmoore> FEC like there's no tomorrow
[09:43] <jcoxon> one step at a time
[09:43] <jcoxon> i'll see what i can find...
[09:44] <jcoxon> hmmm i need a wav file of a flight
[09:45] <edmoore> I will record one next time
[09:46] <edmoore> there's still lots of drift in these radiometrices to
[09:48] <jcoxon> i've got an old flight
[09:48] <jcoxon> but i need a new one - might have to fire up my test rig
[09:51] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) left irc: "-=Mi ez a szag? Hippit égettéll?=-"
[09:52] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[10:03] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: "Leaving"
[10:13] <jcoxon> anyone around to help with some C++
[10:30] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) joined #highaltitude.
[10:32] <rjharrison> Morning all
[10:32] <rjharrison> Just a quick hello
[10:32] <rjharrison> I'm off to have a hair cut then away for tyhe bankholiday
[10:47] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) left irc:
[10:48] <edmoore> jcoxon: am back
[10:49] <jcoxon> edmoore, i'm having a fight with C++ - no wonder i don't do computer science
[10:49] <edmoore> what's up?
[10:49] <jcoxon> actually its not c++
[10:49] <jcoxon> i'm trying to link libcurl to fldigi
[10:49] <jcoxon> to upload our data :-p
[10:50] <edmoore> ah
[10:50] <edmoore> cool
[10:50] <jcoxon> but i can't work out where to put it in the makefile
[10:51] <edmoore> i would really like to understand makefiles
[10:51] <jcoxon> so would i
[10:51] borism (n=boris@195-50-201-172-dsl.krw.estpak.ee) left irc: Read error: 145 (Connection timed out)
[10:52] <jcoxon> also my gps is being annoying and not getting a log
[10:52] <jcoxon> lock*
[10:53] <edmoore> what flavour of gps?
[10:54] <jcoxon> ublox
[10:54] <jcoxon> but its got it now
[10:56] <edmoore> cool
[10:57] <jcoxon> sweet my new code works
[10:57] <jcoxon> it finds the last string and save it to a file
[10:57] <jcoxon> now to get it to upload it on hte fly
[11:03] <edmoore> what would be useful would be...
[11:03] <jcoxon> uhuh
[11:03] <edmoore> some radiometrices with a very cheap micro on a very cheap bit of board, that are basically disposable
[11:03] <edmoore> and launching them on 300g balloons
[11:03] <edmoore> also disposable
[11:04] <edmoore> just so we can easily test the dl
[11:04] <edmoore> get the micro to spit out random strings of some sort
[11:04] <edmoore> and get everyone to listen
[11:04] <edmoore> would cost maybe £25 a test
[11:04] <edmoore> and could prove the system say the day before a proper flight
[11:05] <gordonjcp> edmoore: not a bad idea
[11:06] <edmoore> it only needs to get to 20km, which it would easily do
[11:08] <jcoxon> would be very interesting
[11:08] <jcoxon> maybe one or two in a dat
[11:08] <jcoxon> day*
[11:09] <edmoore> yeah - a calibration day, so to speak
[11:09] <edmoore> once we get more listeners, it might be useful
[11:09] <edmoore> or even now
[11:10] <jcoxon> iron out all the issues of setting it up etc
[11:10] <edmoore> we could even throw a gps on - looks like the lassens could do with some stress testing
[11:11] <jcoxon> good day
[11:11] <edmoore> i think a decent ground plane for those tidly embedded patch antennas would make a useful difference
[11:11] <jcoxon> perhaps stick a small vent in the 300g
[11:11] <jcoxon> so it slightly floats
[11:11] <edmoore> indeed yeah
[11:11] <edmoore> god idea
[11:11] <edmoore> frequent cheap tests
[11:13] <edmoore> I mustn't be rude about some of the repeater users
[11:13] <edmoore> but good god
[11:13] <edmoore> i have it tuned in at the moment
[11:13] <edmoore> it's almost enough to make you jump out of the window
[11:14] <jcoxon> hehe
[11:14] <edmoore> 'i don't use toll roads. too expensive. not like the old motorways. you didn't have to pay anything for those. apart from taxes. hrmmm.'
[11:14] <edmoore> at about 3 words every 10 seconds
[11:14] <edmoore> might just be the norfolk accent
[11:16] <jcoxon> oh i've done it
[11:16] <jcoxon> :-p
[11:16] <jcoxon> http://www.robertharrison.org/listen/view.php?id=M6JCX
[11:18] <edmoore> cool
[11:18] <edmoore> nicely done
[11:18] <jcoxon> whats even cooler, on the new version of fldigi there is a little status bar at the bottom
[11:19] <jcoxon> it goes "Extracting" when it sees a string
[11:19] <jcoxon> then "Uploading to Server"
[11:19] <jcoxon> haha
[11:20] <jcoxon> i cheated - got fldigi to open a python script to do the uploading
[11:20] <jcoxon> as i haven't worked out how to do it with c++
[11:20] <edmoore> :)
[11:20] <edmoore> is it truly necessary though? i kind of like the client script
[11:20] <edmoore> feels a bit more unixy
[11:21] <jcoxon> :-)
[11:22] <jcoxon> it just doesn't make the sytem that accessible
[11:23] <jcoxon> the client will still exist - for example doing cool stuff like gps, status updates etc
[11:23] <jcoxon> but i'm thinking perhaps role the client into fldigi
[11:23] <jcoxon> roll*
[11:26] <jcoxon> bbiab
[11:43] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) joined #highaltitude.
[12:09] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[12:34] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181) joined #highaltitude.
[12:58] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) joined #highaltitude.
[13:00] <rjharrison> Hi All
[13:00] <rjharrison> The Olimex Shipment has arrived !!!
[13:00] <jcoxon> woohoo
[13:01] <rjharrison> Icarus II will be launching soon
[13:01] <rjharrison> lol
[13:01] <rjharrison> Well when the wx gets better
[13:01] <jcoxon> hehe
[13:01] <rjharrison> and I have the time to solder up away all w/e
[13:01] <rjharrison> Arse
[13:01] <rjharrison> Just want to solder up and test now
[13:01] <jcoxon> i got a prototype of fldigi client combined
[13:01] <rjharrison> Well done
[13:02] <jcoxon> though slightly cheated
[13:02] <rjharrison> That is going to make a big difference
[13:02] <jcoxon> had to make a python upload script
[13:02] <jcoxon> which is called when a string is found
[13:02] <rjharrison> Ok can I have a copy of the source and a marked sopt to do the curl stuff and I'll get it sorted for you
[13:03] <rjharrison> Well at least to compile
[13:03] <jcoxon> for the curl bit all i need is to work out how to compile it in
[13:03] <jcoxon> i've got the coe already
[13:04] <jcoxon> code*
[13:05] <jcoxon> was thinking perhaps to keep it this way
[13:05] <jcoxon> as it means that we can do a bit more parsing with a python script that sites behind fldigi - would require you to have python
[13:05] <jcoxon> sits*
[13:09] <SpeedEvil> this is a patch to fldigi to support 'raw' output?
[13:09] <rjharrison> Humm
[13:09] <rjharrison> I'm not so sure
[13:10] <SpeedEvil> (raw meaning with hard decisions on the bits)
[13:10] <rjharrison> We could compile up a windows / mac and linux version and just roll it out
[13:10] <jcoxon> true
[13:10] <rjharrison> Be a lot easier for the listeners
[13:11] <rjharrison> Ideally we would set up another config windoe
[13:11] <rjharrison> window
[13:11] <rjharrison> Allow them to set up a few settings.
[13:11] <jcoxon> yeah
[13:11] <jcoxon> right i have to go - have a good weekend
[13:12] <rjharrison> will do
[13:12] <rjharrison> have fun
[13:12] <rjharrison> ttfn
[13:12] <rjharrison> H SpeedEvil
[13:12] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[13:12] <rjharrison> hi
[13:13] <SpeedEvil> rjharrison: hi
[13:14] <rjharrison> Not that it is very ineresting but I have got my pcb back from Olimex
[13:14] <SpeedEvil> woo!
[13:14] Action: SpeedEvil dances.
[13:14] <SpeedEvil> What pcb?
[13:14] <SpeedEvil> were you doing a badger clone?
[13:14] Action: SpeedEvil wishes for a way to do cheap 4-layer at home.
[13:15] <rjharrison> http://www.robertharrison.org/images/icarus2/Icarus%20II.jpg
[13:17] <rjharrison> This may make more sense
[13:17] <rjharrison> http://www.robertharrison.org/images/icarus2/Icarus-brd.pdf
[13:39] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[13:42] <edmoore> Hi GeekShadow
[13:56] <rjharrison> olimex has arrived
[13:56] <rjharrison> http://www.robertharrison.org/images/icarus2/Icarus%20II.jpg
[13:56] <rjharrison> bad news is I'm away all w/e
[14:01] <rjharrison> edmoore
[14:01] <edmoore> typical
[14:01] <rjharrison> yep
[14:01] <edmoore> board looks nice
[14:02] <edmoore> it looks like olimex have learnt how to align their drill machines now
[14:02] <rjharrison> One of the values layers was printed too
[14:02] <rjharrison> should have looked at the gerver files
[14:02] <rjharrison> gerber
[14:02] <rjharrison> Yep well I shall populate on Monday evening
[14:03] <rjharrison> Right off to weding venue
[14:03] <rjharrison> Not mine !!!!
[14:03] rjharrison (n=rharriso@80.176.172.227) left irc:
[14:53] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[15:13] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@81.187.157.65) joined #highaltitude.
[15:20] Laurenceb (n=laurence@dyres221-145.surrey.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[16:08] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[16:10] <jcoxon> PBH launch has been moved to Sat
[16:10] <jcoxon> well sun 0100 GMT
[16:20] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) joined #highaltitude.
[16:22] #highaltitude: mode change '+o jcoxon' by ChanServ!ChanServ@services.
[16:23] Topic changed on #highaltitude by jcoxon!n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com: Welcome to #highaltitude - discuss anything to do with high altitude projects (balloons, gliders, etc) www.ukhas.org.uk, wiki.ukhas.org.uk, PBH-10 Trans-A - Sun 3rd 0100 launch, http://twitter.com/pbh3, http://courses2.cit.cornell.edu/sysen5960/
[16:24] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181) left irc: "-=Mi ez a szag? Hippit égettéll?=-"
[16:30] Nick change: kingj -> KingJ
[16:34] <Laurenceb> http://uk.farnell.com/sensortechnics/rcem025du/pressure-sensor-amplified/dp/1441393
[16:51] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@host81-159-142-78.range81-159.btcentralplus.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[17:35] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@89.240.218.171) joined #highaltitude.
[17:38] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[17:52] <Laurenceb> hi edmoore
[17:52] <edmoore> hi
[17:52] <Laurenceb> just about to order from sparkfun - £270 :-S
[17:53] <Laurenceb> I'm planning to build AD three axis gyros, accel, magno + LPC2148 + sensortechnics pressure sensor
[17:53] <Laurenceb> eventually anyway...
[17:54] <Laurenceb> also two radio modems - hopefully we can order more if they work
[17:55] <Laurenceb> I'm 100% they can be made to work, but not so sure they'll work out of the box
[17:55] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[18:16] <SpeedEvil> :/
[18:16] <SpeedEvil> pitots?
[18:17] <Laurenceb> no the radio modules
[18:19] <SpeedEvil> I mean - multiple pitots maybe
[18:22] <Laurenceb> well Im planning to make a fixed wing autopilot
[18:22] <Laurenceb> so one pitot is enough
[18:22] <Laurenceb> I'm getting a ublox as well
[18:22] <Laurenceb> it has i2c :D
[18:24] <Laurenceb> I'll probably mod the mini rogallo after the next flight so it has eeprom and ublox on the i2c then radio module on the uart and gyro on the spi
[18:29] <SpeedEvil> fixed wing as in not rogallo?
[18:29] Action: SpeedEvil ponders a rogallo heli.
[18:31] <SpeedEvil> sparkfun is disheartening in a way.
[18:31] <SpeedEvil> I mean - 150 quid order.
[18:32] <SpeedEvil> It comes in a 10cm*10cm*10cm box
[18:34] <Laurenceb> whats £150?
[18:34] <SpeedEvil> err - an order a bit ago
[18:34] <SpeedEvil> couple of RF modems, gyro, nrf* chips
[18:35] <Laurenceb> yeah its rather expensive
[18:35] <Laurenceb> you have rf modems?
[18:35] <SpeedEvil> I forget what sort
[18:35] smealum (n=smealum@82.243.132.64) joined #highaltitude.
[18:35] <SpeedEvil> They are in a box, that I don't have ready access to ATM
[18:35] <Laurenceb> I'm ordering UM12
[18:36] <Laurenceb> I'll need to rig up a sma to n cable
[18:36] <SpeedEvil> It might have been that one
[18:36] <SpeedEvil> I've not tried them though
[18:37] <Laurenceb> if it is we could try a network
[18:38] <SpeedEvil> No balloons on the nearby horizon.
[18:38] <SpeedEvil> Today I have been buggering powertools.
[18:38] <SpeedEvil> Pressure washer is now running alll the time
[18:39] <SpeedEvil> even when jet not on
[18:39] <SpeedEvil> Using it to clean roughcast cement round windows, to better see the state of it, and to clean off paint drops.
[18:39] <Laurenceb> placed ther order :-S
[18:39] <Laurenceb> £270 worse off :(
[18:40] <SpeedEvil> The windows in this place are fucked.
[18:40] <SpeedEvil> Trying to decide between patch rotten bits, and replace rotted timber, maybe making one new frame.
[18:40] <Laurenceb> upvc?
[18:40] Action: Laurenceb runs
[18:41] <SpeedEvil> And making new ones.
[18:41] <SpeedEvil> With double glazed units
[18:41] <Laurenceb> upvc really sucks to be honest
[18:41] <SpeedEvil> It depends.
[18:41] <SpeedEvil> Some of the newer stuff isn't bad.
[18:41] <SpeedEvil> And the fact you can just leave it alone for 20 years is a big plus
[18:41] <Laurenceb> some of the metal reinforced stuff is ok
[18:42] <SpeedEvil> There was a grant allegedly going to be available, so we had cr-smith, anglia, and everest round.
[18:42] <SpeedEvil> As well as local firms
[18:42] <SpeedEvil> cr-smith - 8k, everest 15, anglia 5 (and they were hideous)
[18:43] <SpeedEvil> everest was actually almost as ugly as anglia.
[18:43] <Laurenceb> ewww
[18:43] <Laurenceb> framefast
[18:43] <SpeedEvil> Local firm was 6K or so.
[18:43] <SpeedEvil> for similar frames to crsmith - that was contoured and as slimline as the existing wood
[18:49] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[18:50] <Laurenceb> http://5.media.tumblr.com/BREuFW2oDmyc93vfMrRLQ9Q8o1_400.jpg
[18:56] <edmoore> Laurenceb: what is that?
[18:56] <Laurenceb> family portrait
[19:03] <natrium42> lol?
[19:13] <sbasuita> failed 50 hitler post
[19:37] <Laurenceb> http://jcwren.com/arm/packages/
[19:47] icez (n=icez@ip68-109-170-236.ph.ph.cox.net) joined #highaltitude.
[19:48] <natrium42> edmoore, PBH might even launch tonight
[19:48] <natrium42> did you get that email?
[19:54] <edmoore> yep
[19:54] <edmoore> ta
[20:16] mc_ (n=zsirc@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) joined #highaltitude.
[20:17] <mc_> edmoore, I saw you were talking about some 300g launch plans
[20:17] <edmoore> you didn't
[20:17] <edmoore> you saw my idly pontificate whilst revising
[20:17] <edmoore> :)
[20:17] <edmoore> me*
[20:17] <mc_> I bought some low cost txers
[20:17] <mc_> for another proj
[20:17] <edmoore> cool
[20:18] <edmoore> although radiometrices would be a fairly important part for me
[20:18] <edmoore> as they're the standard, and we're testing a system for flight monitoring purposes
[20:18] <edmoore> + i'm very keen to try different ways of monitoring and abating freq drift
[20:19] <mc_> a pic + batt and a txer should be 10 quid
[20:19] <edmoore> that is tempting actually
[20:19] <SpeedEvil> oven
[20:20] <mc_> Ive got some small sounding balloons
[20:21] <Laurenceb> UM12 ftw
[20:21] <Laurenceb> mc_: any chance you could help me test some UM12 modules?
[20:21] <Laurenceb> you said you could get dry ice?
[20:22] <mc_> yes, lets do it
[20:22] <Laurenceb> cool, hopefully they'll be here next week
[20:22] <Laurenceb> tuesday/wednesday
[20:22] <mc_> yes found a place nr heathrow
[20:22] <Laurenceb> I suspect they use the AFC mode on the CC1020
[20:22] <Laurenceb> in which case it will be fine
[20:22] <mc_> a fiver for a chunk of ice
[20:23] <Laurenceb> otherwise I'll have to hack the firmware
[20:23] <Laurenceb> but that'd be cool to do anyway
[20:23] <mc_> cc1020 is chipcon?
[20:24] <Laurenceb> yes
[20:24] <mc_> can you switch off afc?
[20:24] <Laurenceb> -118dBm sensitivity @ 10-5 bit error rate
[20:24] <Laurenceb> yes, you can turn on on off
[20:25] <Laurenceb> I think you have to set it up at boot for it to work properly
[20:25] <mc_> does it use iic bus?
[20:26] <Laurenceb> spi
[20:27] <mc_> should be possible to control from a pc?
[20:27] <Laurenceb> well the Um12 has serial - avr - spi - cc1020
[20:27] <Laurenceb> so yes
[20:27] <mc_> neat
[20:28] <mc_> can you change rx b/w ?
[20:28] <Laurenceb> on the chipcon, yes
[20:28] <Laurenceb> the module is just serial to serial
[20:28] <mc_> nice
[20:28] <Laurenceb> i.e. transparent
[20:29] <Laurenceb> but theres bandwidth options on the chipcon
[20:29] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) left #highaltitude.
[20:29] SpeedEvil (n=user@tor/regular/SpeedEvil) joined #highaltitude.
[20:30] <mc_> ed, Im out on Thur, i know Dr.Eves
[20:31] <Laurenceb> really :P
[20:32] <mc_> he was at a space conf a few weeks ago
[20:32] <Laurenceb> ah
[20:32] <mc_> he gave me the guided tour last year
[20:32] <Laurenceb> any idea where to get N male to sma male adaptors?
[20:33] <mc_> can it have some cable in between?
[20:34] <Laurenceb> yes
[20:34] <Laurenceb> all the wifi stuff is rp
[20:34] <Laurenceb> - its to connect antenna to the UM12 on the ground station
[20:35] <mc_> ive got old antenna cables with a sma
[20:35] <mc_> Ns arent too hard to solder
[20:35] <Laurenceb> cool
[20:35] <Laurenceb> should get range ~800 Km or more with a yagi
[20:36] <mc_> does it an external IF signal?
[20:37] <Laurenceb> nope its all integrated
[20:37] <mc_> internal data slicers are very insensitive
[20:37] <Laurenceb> datasheet says -118
[20:38] <Laurenceb> and people have had 20Km or more on the ground with it
[20:38] <mc_> thats the noise figure
[20:38] <Laurenceb> nope sensitivity
[20:38] <Laurenceb> at 10-5 ber
[20:39] <mc_> we will see
[20:39] <mc_> yagi at both ends ?
[20:39] <Laurenceb> I think so
[20:39] <Laurenceb> but they didnt do a proper test - it was still working fin e
[20:40] <mc_> how much tx power?
[20:40] <Laurenceb> 10mw
[20:41] <mc_> ive got .5w modules
[20:42] <mc_> are you using your module as a baloon rxer?
[20:42] <Laurenceb> yep
[20:44] <mc_> a 10db yagi only is x10 gain
[20:45] <SpeedEvil> you should get Jodrell Bank interested.
[20:45] <SpeedEvil> 'Can I duct-tape this to the prime focus?'
[20:45] <Laurenceb> bbl
[20:53] mc- (n=mfcastle@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) joined #highaltitude.
[20:54] edmoore (n=ed@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[21:08] mc_ (n=zsirc@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[21:30] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@81.187.157.65) left irc: "Leaving"
[21:43] <natrium42> "Thank you for your continued interest in our flight. PBH-10 is currently on hold. Standby for more information."
[22:04] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[22:18] GeekShado_ (i=Antoine@62.221.192-77.rev.gaoland.net) joined #highaltitude.
[22:19] mc- (n=mfcastle@cpc3-glfd1-0-0-cust439.glfd.cable.ntl.com) left irc:
[22:19] smealum (n=smealum@82.243.132.64) left irc:
[22:22] sbasuita (n=sbasuita@unaffiliated/drebellion) left irc: "Leaving"
[22:24] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[22:27] DanielRichman (n=DanielRi@89.240.218.171) left irc: "Leaving"
[22:34] GeekShadow (n=Antoine@reactos/tester/GeekShadow) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[22:39] smealum (n=smealum@smea.servebeer.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:41] G8KHW (n=Steve@217.47.75.8) joined #highaltitude.
[22:42] <Laurenceb> hi steve
[22:43] <Laurenceb> how did the flight go yesterday?
[22:44] <G8KHW> problems with the GPS - its stopped working properly at 8831m on the way up and started again at 8894 on the way down
[22:44] <G8KHW> but in general it seemed quite sick even on the ground
[22:45] <Laurenceb> lassen iq?
[22:45] <Laurenceb> did you ave a camera?
[22:45] <G8KHW> yes and yes
[22:45] <Laurenceb> hmm did you try power cycling the lassen?
[22:45] <Laurenceb> before launch
[22:46] <G8KHW> yes
[22:46] <G8KHW> I suspect the power line could be a bit noisy
[22:46] <G8KHW> when its swiched on
[22:46] <Laurenceb> hmm
[22:46] <Laurenceb> I'm getting a ublox next week
[22:47] <G8KHW> I'm keen to get to the bottom of the problems
[22:47] <G8KHW> I suspect its either:
[22:48] <G8KHW> 1) poor power up
[22:48] <G8KHW> 2) the power regulator going hi/lo voltage with heat
[22:48] <G8KHW> 3) camera noise
[22:50] <Laurenceb> photos up?
[22:50] <G8KHW> interesting that the highest point on earth is 8840m
[22:51] <Laurenceb> ground mode?
[22:51] <G8KHW> I wonder if its somthing to do with the lassen holding some form of probability model (ed suggested that)
[22:52] <G8KHW> photos on the way up and down - but the camera is only on for 10sec in each 3 mins
[23:02] <Laurenceb> what camera?
[23:08] <G8KHW> its a flip mino
[23:09] <G8KHW> possibly its generating enough noise to partly confuse the lassen
[23:24] <Laurenceb> radiometrix for the downlink?
[23:26] <G8KHW> yep
[23:29] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[23:30] <edmoore> hi G8KHW
[23:31] <natrium42> yo edm00re
[23:31] <natrium42> so, did you read PBH twitter update?
[23:34] <natrium42> edm00re?
[23:34] <edmoore> natrium42: pink me
[23:34] Nick change: KingJ -> kingj
[23:35] <natrium42> * Ping reply from edmoore: ? second(s)
[23:35] <edmoore> hello?
[23:36] <edmoore> 21 hrs
[23:36] <natrium42> "Thank you for your continued interest in our flight. PBH-10 is currently on hold. Standby for more information."
[23:37] <edmoore> so not 21 hrs?
[23:37] <natrium42> no idea
[23:37] <natrium42> does "on hold" mean that they are ready?
[23:37] <natrium42> or does it mean that they are cancelling it for now?
[23:39] <edmoore> will wait with baited breath
[23:40] <natrium42> hehe
[23:41] <G8KHW> yo edmoore - did U see my email?
[23:41] <edmoore> nope?
[23:42] <G8KHW> basically it was saying that the lassen packed up at 8831m on the way up
[23:42] <G8KHW> and worked again at 8894 on the way down
[23:43] <G8KHW> and that everest is 8840m
[23:43] <edmoore> ok...
[23:43] <G8KHW> so your model ideal is probably correct
[23:44] <edmoore> i like their thinking
[23:44] <G8KHW> sort of if the position is above 8840 its less probable to be correct
[23:45] <Laurenceb> your unlikely to be up evenest
[23:45] <SpeedEvil> yes, but it's a figure they may have picked
[23:45] <Laurenceb> was the horizontal position ok?
[23:45] <SpeedEvil> if velocity under 5m/s, and alt >8840 hmm++
[23:45] <G8KHW> yeah - that was my thinking
[23:47] <G8KHW> above 8900m the positions were all over the place
[23:47] <Laurenceb> how did it behave on the ground?
[23:47] <G8KHW> so i suspect solutions where it was trying to nail altitude down to the ground
[23:48] <G8KHW> on the ground there wree problems too
[23:48] <G8KHW> it took a long time to lock
[23:48] <G8KHW> and then when it did it was a bit flaky
[23:49] <Laurenceb> losing lock?
[23:49] <G8KHW> yeah and then re-aquiring it
[23:50] <G8KHW> it kept reporting height as -47
[23:51] <edmoore> afraid i'm off to bed - need to maintain a decent schedule till end of zams
[23:51] <edmoore> but very interesting info on the lassen
[23:52] <G8KHW> cheers edmoore
[23:52] <edmoore> just got that email
[23:52] <edmoore> right, c u all
[23:52] edmoore (n=edmoore@pomegranate.chu.cam.ac.uk) left irc:
[00:00] --- Sat May 2 2009