highaltitude.log.20080823

[00:02] jatkins (n=jatkins@79-78-151-253.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com) joined #highaltitude.
[00:02] <jatkins> hi all
[00:02] <natrium42> hey jatkins
[00:02] <jatkins> hi
[00:02] <natrium42> still on schedule for launch?
[00:02] <jcoxon> RocketBoy1, it doesn't compile with TRUE
[00:03] <jatkins> oh, I'm not involved
[00:03] <jatkins> still, is gonna be cool
[00:03] <natrium42> i mean your launch
[00:03] <jatkins> oh
[00:03] <jatkins> um
[00:03] <jatkins> end of summer launch
[00:03] <jatkins> hypothetically
[00:03] <jatkins> depends when my sfe order comes
[00:03] <jatkins> it's got a new gps (the lassen iq), logomatic, and a 1-wire thermistor
[00:04] <jatkins> I've got a radio tx module
[00:04] <jatkins> and just stick a mobile in
[00:04] <jatkins> thanks for asking
[00:05] <jatkins> btw, is it possible to control a mobile with gpios like a camera shutter?
[00:05] <jatkins> i.e. set to low to press button, high the rest of the time
[00:05] <jatkins> or other way round depending on the phone?
[00:05] <jcoxon> in theory yes
[00:05] <jatkins> cool
[00:05] <jatkins> but in practice?
[00:05] <jcoxon> quite a few buttons
[00:05] <jatkins> yeah
[00:06] <jatkins> don't you guys use some special software on the phone?
[00:06] <jatkins> or something
[00:06] <jatkins> ..I've not looked into it much
[00:06] <jcoxon> depends on the phoen
[00:06] <jatkins> ok
[00:06] <jcoxon> most modern phones have a serial port and listen to AT commands
[00:06] <jatkins> nokia ones do it?
[00:06] <jatkins> oh cool
[00:07] <jatkins> TTL-level?
[00:08] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[00:09] <jatkins> oh, I meant gnokii
[00:09] <jcoxon> i personally use gnokii but thats linux based
[00:09] <jatkins> so with phones that support AT commands you can just do pure rs-232?
[00:09] <jatkins> yeah
[00:09] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) joined #highaltitude.
[00:09] <jcoxon> pretty much yeah
[00:10] <jatkins> awesome
[00:10] <jcoxon> though they are usually ttl
[00:10] <jatkins> ok, thanks
[00:10] <jatkins> how can you tell
[00:10] <jcoxon> rather then rs232 voltage levels
[00:10] <jatkins> yeah
[00:10] <jatkins> ttl is +-5v?
[00:13] <jatkins> ^ yeah
[00:13] <jatkins> sorry, I have a bad memory
[00:13] <jatkins> which would screw up my phone if I wasn't careful :)
[00:15] <jatkins> I've g2g to bed, been up all evening coding
[00:15] <jatkins> good luck with the launch
[00:15] <jatkins> hypothetically I'd be up to see it
[00:15] <jcoxon> its on sunday :-)
[00:15] <jatkins> but since it's the summer it doesn't usually end up that day
[00:15] <jatkins> lol
[00:15] <jatkins> well yeah
[00:15] <jatkins> I have a bad habit of sleeping in in the summer :)
[00:16] <jatkins> well I'll try and see it
[00:16] <jcoxon> hehe
[00:16] <jatkins> :)
[00:16] <jatkins> are you actually doing sstv over it?
[00:17] <jcoxon> thats the plan
[00:17] <jatkins> awesome
[00:17] <jcoxon> that bit works
[00:17] <jcoxon> getting the picture is more of a problem
[00:17] <jatkins> yeah
[00:17] <jatkins> time or ..?
[00:17] <jatkins> just the logistics
[00:17] <jatkins> ?
[00:17] <jcoxon> time
[00:17] <jatkins> yeah
[00:17] <jatkins> what baud rate are you hoping for for downlink?
[00:18] <jcoxon> it'll take about a minute to transmit a 320x256 picture
[00:18] <jatkins> oh ok
[00:18] <jatkins> so in theory that will work
[00:18] <jcoxon> yup
[00:19] <jatkins> jpeg?
[00:19] <jcoxon> well its a jpeg on the flight computer
[00:19] <jatkins> oh yeah, sstv will turn it analog on the rx side?
[00:20] natrium42 (n=alexei@DNab4221bd.Stanford.EDU) left irc:
[00:20] <RocketBoy1> jcoxon TRUE and FALSE are just defined somewhere IIR - just try conf.remote.enable = 1; or 0;
[00:20] <jcoxon> RocketBoy1, yeah thats what i thought
[00:20] <jatkins> oh geez true and false, you'd have thought all languages would at least be able to keep that universal
[00:20] <jatkins> but for some God-forsaken reason VB has false = 1 and true = 0 iirc
[00:21] <jatkins> ..but it's a hell of a long time since I've been doing vb
[00:24] <jatkins> jcoxon: I found somewhere on sparkfun a 0.3 MP .. um, think it was a CMOS .. camera that does rs-232 frame comms.
[00:24] <jcoxon> yup
[00:24] <jcoxon> i've seen it
[00:25] <jatkins> ok
[00:25] <jatkins> but I guess once you've got a decent-res proper cam. working, 0.3 MP is a bit of a joke
[00:25] <jatkins> :)
[00:25] <jatkins> if only they did that on the 1.3 MP one
[00:25] <jcoxon> well its more that its going to have issues with light etc
[00:25] <jatkins> yeah
[00:26] <RocketBoy1> night
[00:26] <jatkins> but, I was looking around, and apparently on one of the cmos cams - I think the 640x480 one, you can change the rate at which it chucks the frames out
[00:26] <jatkins> cya
[00:26] RocketBoy1 (n=andy@217.47.75.27) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[00:26] <jatkins> -- so that should mean it's possible to use with an 8-bit 1k micro
[00:26] <jatkins> perhaps with some extra ram
[00:27] <jatkins> I think atmel do extra ram or something for avrs
[00:27] <akawaka> jatkins: really?
[00:27] <jatkins> think so
[00:27] <jatkins> or that might be storage
[00:27] <jatkins> just getting a link
[00:27] <akawaka> the two i had had no real limiting
[00:27] <jatkins> cool
[00:28] <akawaka> if you could limit it then a simple uC hooked up to a sdcard would work
[00:28] <jatkins> I've only used arduino-based stuff, so that's an atmega168 (or atmega8 on the older ones)
[00:28] <akawaka> you would need about 2k of memory of so
[00:28] <jatkins> yeah
[00:28] <jatkins> oh yeah - limit the frame release rate even further
[00:28] <jatkins> it would be fine for sstv
[00:28] <jatkins> yeah
[00:28] <jatkins> well maybe one of the new 32-bit avrs
[00:29] <jatkins> oh, it's non-volatile
[00:29] <jatkins> oh well
[00:29] <jatkins> your idea would fix it
[00:29] <jatkins> if we assume a 10 k jpeg, then that shouldn't be a problem even with 1k ram
[00:29] <jatkins> theoretically
[00:29] <akawaka> i couldn't find a uc that could keep up with the data rate on the sparkfun cmos cameras
[00:29] <jatkins> ok
[00:30] <jatkins> http://atmel.com/products/DataFlash/default.asp was what I meant
[00:30] <jatkins> but it's not what I mean at the same time ;)
[00:30] <akawaka> hah
[00:30] <jatkins> http://atmel.com/products/avr32/default.asp
[00:30] <jatkins> that might do it
[00:31] <akawaka> all depends on how quickly it can read data from the pins
[00:31] <jatkins> yeah
[00:31] <jatkins> it says on the datasheet 'standard data interface'
[00:31] <jatkins> not sure what the hell that means
[00:31] <jcoxon> i'm not going to get this working
[00:31] <Laurenceb> hi all
[00:31] <jatkins> hey lb
[00:31] <Laurenceb> jcoxon: whats up?
[00:32] <jatkins> I'm off now
[00:32] <jatkins> cya
[00:32] <jcoxon> trying to get remote capture to work on this cameras
[00:32] jatkins (n=jatkins@79-78-151-253.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com) left irc: "I don't like you. But Bersirc 2.2 does. Try it out now. [ http://www.bersirc.org/ - Open Source IRC ]"
[00:37] <jcoxon> think its going to be back to the webcam for us
[00:42] <jcoxon> oh well
[00:42] <jcoxon> night all
[00:42] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@85-210-99-31.dsl.pipex.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[00:49] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) got netsplit.
[00:49] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) got netsplit.
[00:53] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) joined #highaltitude.
[00:53] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:53] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:56] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) got netsplit.
[00:56] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) got netsplit.
[00:56] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) got netsplit.
[00:57] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:57] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) returned to #highaltitude.
[00:57] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) returned to #highaltitude.
[01:07] <Laurenceb> hmm I'm still wondering about servos
[01:07] <Laurenceb> http://robonova.de/store/product.php?productid=16133
[01:07] <Laurenceb> or http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/26/products_id/43
[01:10] <Laurenceb> the hitec interface doesnt look worth it really...
[02:01] Laurenceb (n=Laurence@host86-133-69-206.range86-133.btcentralplus.com) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[03:11] EI5GTB (n=Paul@213-202-138-126.bas502.dsl.esat.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[05:14] soneil (n=soneil@pdpc/supporter/active/soneil) left irc:
[05:29] defy (n=defy@ip-118-90-33-64.xdsl.xnet.co.nz) joined #highaltitude.
[05:39] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) left irc:
[05:45] defy (n=defy@ip-118-90-33-64.xdsl.xnet.co.nz) left irc:
[06:05] natrium42 (n=alexei@DN800c7d0c.Stanford.EDU) joined #highaltitude.
[06:11] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[06:13] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) joined #highaltitude.
[06:27] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[07:15] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[07:16] jcoxon (n=jcoxon@85-210-99-31.dsl.pipex.com) joined #highaltitude.
[07:16] <natrium42> hey jcoxon
[07:17] <jcoxon> morning natrium42
[07:17] <jcoxon> okay here is my plan
[07:17] <jcoxon> going back to using a webcam
[07:18] <natrium42> ok
[07:18] <natrium42> not enough to fix the camera, huh
[07:19] <jcoxon> i either need a new A60 or A70
[07:19] <jcoxon> or a genius to implement my theories for CHDK
[07:19] <jcoxon> the coding is beyond me
[07:19] <natrium42> *time
[07:20] <natrium42> yeah, anyway
[07:20] <natrium42> webcam should be enough for this flight
[07:20] <jcoxon> exactly
[07:20] <jcoxon> ooo and i'm going to use this: http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppmlabel.html
[07:20] <jcoxon> (as the picture quality isn't going to be very good :-p
[07:20] <jcoxon> oh the gps coords
[07:20] <jcoxon> of*
[07:21] <natrium42> alright, neat
[07:22] <natrium42> looking forward to the launch :)
[07:22] <jcoxon> all i need to get is a neutral density filter
[07:22] <natrium42> how's the forecast today?
[07:22] <icez> hey, it just crossed my mind, think it might be cool to try a hacked up webcam that registers infrared (i think hackaday had an article on how) and use it on a balloon? I'm guessing it'd only look like a B/W picture but I dunno. :P
[07:23] <natrium42> it
[07:23] Last message repeated 1 time(s).
[07:23] <natrium42> grr
[07:23] <natrium42> it's quite easy to remove IR filter
[07:24] <jcoxon> weather wise we made teh right move not launching today
[07:24] <natrium42> ok, but tomorrow is fine?
[07:24] <jcoxon> yeah its a lot better
[07:24] <natrium42> k
[07:24] <jcoxon> i'll just run so wyomings
[07:24] <jcoxon> (that said ground winds are better today)
[07:25] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) joined #highaltitude.
[07:28] <jcoxon> yup forecasts are good
[07:28] <jcoxon> about 38km from the sea
[07:46] <natrium42> ok, there is automatic cutdown, i assume :)
[07:46] <jcoxon> yup
[07:47] <jcoxon> 38km from the sea is pretty good :-)
[07:47] <jcoxon> also wyomings descent rates are a bit slow
[08:04] <natrium42> jcoxon, is doug's camera going to take videos too?
[08:04] <jcoxon> yup
[08:04] <natrium42> k, neat
[08:05] <natrium42> i am going to send an email to a few people who expressed interest
[08:05] <natrium42> if you don't mind
[08:05] <jcoxon> no problem
[08:07] <natrium42> bbl
[08:08] natrium42 (n=alexei@DN800c7d0c.Stanford.EDU) left irc:
[08:11] <robert1971> jcoxon R U going to launch Sunday?
[08:12] <robert1971> In the process of writing a timer to count seconds to operate camera
[08:12] <jcoxon> robert1971, yup
[08:15] <robert1971> looks a beautiful day today here in Yorkshire
[08:15] <robert1971> Are the jetstreams blowing
[08:15] <jcoxon> yup
[08:16] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) joined #highaltitude.
[08:26] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) left irc: "Lost terminal"
[08:29] <jcoxon> ooooooo, now that makes more sense
[08:29] <jcoxon> the reason why the sstvtx program is slow is that soundmodem is eating cpu
[08:44] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) left irc: "-=Halt! Hammerzeit!=-"
[08:47] Shanuson (n=Peter@p54A940A1.dip.t-dialin.net) joined #highaltitude.
[08:51] <gordonjcp> morning
[08:53] Ebola (n=Ebola@unaffiliated/ebola) joined #highaltitude.
[08:56] Ebola (n=Ebola@unaffiliated/ebola) left irc: Client Quit
[09:02] Ebola (n=Ebola@general-ld-222.t-mobile.co.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[09:04] Ebola (n=Ebola@unaffiliated/ebola) left irc: Connection reset by peer
[09:42] <robert1971> Just a quick question to make sure I'm on the right track here. I want to do various things with the camera over a 5 minute cycle and I have decided to write a timer to count every second. The main while loop will just put the cpu into sleep mode. The timer interrupt will just increment the seconds and call a routine which will do various tasks depending on the second count. Is this the way it's done or am I going mad?
[09:43] <gordonjcp> seems reasonable, unless one of the tasks overruns its slot
[09:45] <Shanuson> if you could use more than 1 timer, you could neclect the secoundcounting routine, and use for each action its on timer
[09:45] <Shanuson> *can
[10:00] <jcoxon> crap
[10:00] <jcoxon> an bug seems to have crept up in the webcam driver
[10:11] <jcoxon> just put on another webcam
[10:11] <jcoxon> lets hope it works :-p
[10:12] <Shanuson> *hoping*
[10:50] Ei5GTB (n=Paul@213-202-138-126.bas502.dsl.esat.net) joined #highaltitude.
[10:56] RocketBoy (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) joined #highaltitude.
[10:58] soneil (i=52960664@pdpc/supporter/active/soneil) joined #highaltitude.
[11:00] <jcoxon> Shanuson, its still running
[11:00] <jcoxon> RocketBoy, i've worked out why sstv is running slower then we expected
[11:01] <jcoxon> soundmodem is taking up a lot of cpu
[11:04] <RocketBoy> is that the playing out of the file?
[11:04] <jcoxon> soundmodem is the packet radio bit
[11:05] <RocketBoy> ah ok - so your using that at the same time as converting the SSTV file?
[11:05] <jcoxon> yeah
[11:05] <jcoxon> its transmitting the gps coords
[11:05] <RocketBoy> and thats taking all the cpu
[11:06] <jcoxon> its certainly hogging it
[11:06] <RocketBoy> yes that would do it
[11:06] <jcoxon> its not a very efficient system to tell you the truth
[11:06] <RocketBoy> what you need is an equivelent of SSTVTX for packet radio
[11:07] <jcoxon> yeah
[11:07] <jcoxon> but why use packet radio
[11:07] <jcoxon> we could just write an equivalent for rtty
[11:08] <RocketBoy> yeah could do - you need a DC coupled output on the soundcard DAC (D2A)
[11:08] <RocketBoy> but i think you have that
[11:09] <RocketBoy> do you want somthing that converts a text file into a RTTY file
[11:09] <jcoxon> something for teh future :-)
[11:10] <RocketBoy> cos I could probably write that this morning
[11:10] <jcoxon> hmmmm
[11:10] <jcoxon> RocketBoy, its too late
[11:10] <jcoxon> i've got to test the system
[11:10] <RocketBoy> yeah - just comming to the same conclusion
[11:10] <jcoxon> but
[11:11] <jcoxon> i'd been keen for another launch soon
[11:11] <jcoxon> but yeah, scrub the packet radio (its not great unless you have uplink as well)
[11:11] <jcoxon> and have rtty and sstv
[11:11] <jcoxon> would be a nice payload
[11:11] <RocketBoy> yeah
[11:12] <jcoxon> isn't linux nice to develop on :-p
[11:12] <RocketBoy> It would be good to check out the DC coupled DAC at sometime with a scope
[11:12] <jcoxon> yup
[11:12] <jcoxon> i don't have one
[11:12] <jcoxon> but i'm in suffolk all of next wek
[11:12] <jcoxon> week*
[11:13] <RocketBoy> Ah ok excellent
[11:13] <RocketBoy> I'll bring my scope over - or visa versa
[11:13] <jcoxon> yeah
[11:14] <RocketBoy> sounds like a plan
[11:14] <jcoxon> okay i think i've solved this webcam problem
[11:14] <jcoxon> dumped the tescos basic one and added an old creative camera
[11:14] <jcoxon> added a filter to reduce the light intensity
[11:14] <jcoxon> and with the float patch to sstvtx the image is much better
[11:15] <jcoxon> now i need to add an overlay to the image of the gps coords
[11:15] <RocketBoy> float patch?
[11:15] <jcoxon> as in fergus' changes
[11:16] <RocketBoy> Ah OK I can see why that would improve the image
[11:17] <RocketBoy> also there were still errirs after that - resulting in about 8,000 lost samples per file
[11:17] <RocketBoy> so the changes i made would improve quaility agian (but probably more marginal)
[11:17] <RocketBoy> errors
[11:20] <jcoxon> i haven't got round to compiling your new code
[11:20] <jcoxon> it might have to wait till after the flight
[11:23] <RocketBoy> np
[11:27] <RocketBoy> BBL
[11:27] RocketBoy (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) left irc: "Leaving"
[11:46] <robert1971> Jcoxon: If you do launch and I can get a pass would you mind an extra spectator?
[11:49] <jcoxon> IF you can be bothered to travel down to Cam
[11:49] Action: ShellEvil passes robert1971 http://api.ning.com/files/thJ236gDjZ9juVgZezMFGCItSYUOZsEfjBO9XvWMGp4_/multipass1.jpg
[11:49] <jcoxon> you are welcome to come along
[11:50] <ShellEvil> Good luck in advance.
[11:50] <jcoxon> thanks
[11:50] <jcoxon> things are beginning to work
[11:50] <ShellEvil> May your balloon burst really high.
[11:50] <jcoxon> hehe
[11:50] <jcoxon> but not to far away!
[11:51] <ShellEvil> You do want to visit norway, don't you?
[11:51] <jcoxon> not this weekend
[11:51] <robert1971> He heI like the multipass
[11:52] <robert1971> jcoxon: will weigh up the options with the wife! I'd give it 50/50 atm
[11:53] <jcoxon> okay
[12:12] <jcoxon> sweeet
[12:12] <jcoxon> i've got it to overlay the gps coords onto the image
[12:15] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[12:17] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) joined #highaltitude.
[12:19] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[12:27] <edmoore> jcoxon: hi
[12:29] doug_ellison (n=djelliso@87-127-121-8.no-dns-yet.enta.net) joined #highaltitude.
[12:31] <jcoxon> hey edmoore and doug_ellison
[12:31] <edmoore> hi doug_ellison
[12:31] <edmoore> jcoxon: what's the latest?
[12:31] <jcoxon> right i've got to go for lunch
[12:31] <jcoxon> but
[12:31] <jcoxon> i've got a webcam working
[12:31] <edmoore> had to overnight in guildford internetlessly so have been out of the loop
[12:31] <jcoxon> (better then the last one)
[12:32] <edmoore> ok cool - and the canon?
[12:32] <jcoxon> which is taking pictures happily
[12:32] <jcoxon> no canon
[12:32] <jcoxon> don't have teh time
[12:32] <jcoxon> also got overlaying of gps coords in the bottom corner
[12:32] <edmoore> gonna fly it anyway under chdkdhck for shits and giggles?
[12:32] <edmoore> oh awesome
[12:32] <edmoore> that is good
[12:32] <jcoxon> doug's cameras will do that for us
[12:32] <edmoore> indeed they will.
[12:33] <edmoore> this is shaping up well then
[12:33] <jcoxon> next i've got to test the gsm
[12:33] <edmoore> have you talked to fnoble|away ?
[12:33] <jcoxon> then finish the payload
[12:33] <jcoxon> and done
[12:33] <jcoxon> not recently
[12:33] <edmoore> oh. was thinking about trying to run the decoding software on his machine
[12:34] <edmoore> and doing a second chase
[12:34] <edmoore> off our radio
[12:34] <jcoxon> got to go, my sister has returned
[12:34] <jcoxon> okay sounds like a plan
[12:34] <jcoxon> i'll be back in an hour or so
[12:35] <edmoore> ok
[12:47] <ShellEvil> jcoxon: what did the camera weight end up as?
[13:05] <doug_ellison> Hi guys - sorry - was glued to the pre-quallie build up on ITV :)
[13:27] <jcoxon> back
[13:33] <fnoble|away> edmoore, am here now
[13:34] <fnoble|away> will try to get some decoding working
[13:34] <fnoble|away> jcoxon, whats the best software for packet on linux?
[13:34] <jcoxon> wine + truetty :-p
[13:34] <fnoble|away> jcoxon, also have you phoned air traffic control yet?
[13:34] <jcoxon> fnoble|away, nope
[13:34] <jcoxon> whats the number?
[13:34] <fnoble|away> jcoxon, ideally something that puts the decode on stdout so i can try the mapping stuff
[13:35] <jcoxon> yup
[13:35] <fnoble|away> jcoxon, i dont have it sorry
[13:35] <jcoxon> multimon would do it as well
[13:35] <fnoble|away> \nick fnoble
[13:35] <jcoxon> fnoble|away, are you going to be around tomorrow?
[13:35] Nick change: fnoble|away -> fnoble
[13:35] <fnoble> jcoxon, yeah of course :)
[13:35] <jcoxon> hmmm who has the permission form?
[13:36] <fnoble> the notam?
[13:36] <jcoxon> yeh
[13:36] <fnoble> rob anderson who will be away
[13:36] <jcoxon> oh okay
[13:36] <fnoble> ill ring him now and ask about phoning the tower
[13:36] <jcoxon> okay cool
[13:37] <jcoxon> we'd just need to call today and then tomorrow just before launch?
[13:37] <doug_ellison> Steve did it last time didn't he?
[13:38] <jcoxon> yeah but we were at ears
[13:38] <doug_ellison> Ah
[13:39] <fnoble> yeah usuayeah need to phone the day before and 5 mins before launch
[13:41] <fnoble> jcoxon, want the number?
[13:41] <jcoxon> yup
[13:41] <jcoxon> pm me
[13:46] jatkins (n=jatkins@79-78-133-93.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com) joined #highaltitude.
[13:47] <jcoxon> all done
[13:50] Shanuson (n=Peter@p54A940A1.dip.t-dialin.net) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[13:50] <jcoxon> doug_ellison, fnoble edmoore
[13:50] <jcoxon> for tomorrow
[13:50] <jcoxon> i plan to stay put for most of the flight at churchill
[13:51] <jcoxon> but perhaps a chase team could be assembled to watch it land
[13:52] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) joined #highaltitude.
[13:54] <doug_ellison> Makes sense
[13:55] fnoble (n=fnoblef@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[13:57] jatkins (n=jatkins@79-78-133-93.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com) left irc: "What?! Open source isn't good enough for you? Bersirc 2.2 [ http://www.bersirc.org/ - Open Source IRC ]"
[13:57] fnoble (n=fnoblef@fn217.quns.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[14:01] <edmoore> jcoxon, fnoble: I'm not sure how long I can stay tomorrow
[14:02] <fnoble> long enough to chase?
[14:02] <edmoore> no
[14:02] <edmoore> given that's the long bit
[14:02] <fnoble> yeah, ok
[14:03] <edmoore> I can be there for launch, but lots of family oldies coming for Sunday lunch and I should probably be back for it
[14:03] <fnoble> ah ok
[14:04] <edmoore> I'll see how it goes on parantal persuasion
[14:09] <gordonjcp> hello
[14:09] <doug_ellison> Tell them to move house and have sunday lunch in Ipswich or something.
[14:10] <fnoble> jcoxon, who else do we have driving
[14:10] <doug_ellison> Me.
[14:10] <jcoxon> me, doug_ellison, steve
[14:12] <fnoble> jcoxon, ok so we will bo ok
[14:12] <fnoble> i will still setup my traking rig then
[14:13] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) got netsplit.
[14:13] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) got netsplit.
[14:14] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) returned to #highaltitude.
[14:14] bobx (n=bobx@lowfreq.trancemitter.org) returned to #highaltitude.
[14:15] <fnoble> jcoxon, sorry can i have the telem string format again, lost it when xchat crashed
[14:16] <jcoxon> GOLIATH,17,1,130809.00,52.096398,0.885844,453.0M,1.497,345.20
[14:16] <fnoble> thanks
[14:16] <edmoore> woah
[14:17] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) left irc: "-=Halt! Hammerzeit!=-"
[14:20] <fnoble> jcoxon, what format is the time in?
[14:20] <jcoxon> hrminsec.00
[14:20] <fnoble> ok cool
[14:24] <gordonjcp> what frequency are you transmitting on?
[14:24] <jcoxon> packet on 434.640
[14:24] <jcoxon> beacon on 434.075
[14:26] <robert1971> jcoxon when do you plan to launch?
[14:26] <jcoxon> 10.30am
[14:26] <robert1971> Still planning on getting there some how. Let me have a look on google maps. is that 10 for 10:30 launch?
[14:32] <jcoxon> 9.30 for 10.30
[14:34] <fnoble> gordonjcp, does multimon just output on stdout?
[14:36] <gordonjcp> as far as I can tell, yes
[14:46] <doug_ellison> Anyone attending tomorrow - you're BANNED from mentioning the grand prix - I want to save it till when I get home
[14:47] <gordonjcp> haha
[14:48] <jcoxon> right everyone
[14:48] <jcoxon> i'm sorry to say i've been defeated by these cameras
[14:49] <jcoxon> so sadly there won't be live pictures tomorrow
[14:49] <jcoxon> but i'm going to make the flight computer do everything else - just provide a jpg as if it had come off the camera
[14:49] <jcoxon> and when i get a new A60 i'll rig it up and we'll use that for another flight
[14:49] <gordonjcp> fair enough
[14:50] <gordonjcp> test as much as you can, eh
[14:50] <fnoble> jcoxon, no luck with the webcam?
[14:50] <jcoxon> defeated by the goliath's usb hub
[14:50] <jcoxon> webcams + usb hubs = disaster
[14:50] <fnoble> i see
[14:50] <doug_ellison> And I've given up with the cameras. I'm printing out a picture of Nova 6 on A3, folding it up, and putting in a foam box.
[14:51] <jcoxon> haha
[14:59] <doug_ellison> Right - going to box up all the tools and bits and pieces. Back later
[14:59] doug_ellison (n=djelliso@87-127-121-8.no-dns-yet.enta.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[15:00] <edmoore> 10.30? christ I may even miss launch
[15:00] natrium42 (n=alexei@rescomp-conf-08-10043.Stanford.EDU) left irc:
[15:02] soneil (i=52960664@pdpc/supporter/active/soneil) left irc: "http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client"
[15:22] <gordonjcp> I'm trying to work out roughly when I should start to hear it, if at all
[15:22] <gordonjcp> think Speedevil worked out that it would reach about 3 degrees above the horizon from me
[15:35] <ShellEvil> Assuming a flat earth.
[15:35] <ShellEvil> How far are you again?
[15:36] <ShellEvil> 500km?
[15:36] <ShellEvil> There is an easy way to work it out.
[15:36] <ShellEvil> google javascript calculator radio horizon
[15:36] <ShellEvil> http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/horizon.htm
[15:38] <ShellEvil> 15000m altitude - 300 miles
[15:52] <edmoore> and afternoon of Goldfinger and PCB layout
[15:52] <edmoore> can't be bad
[16:14] RocketBoy (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) joined #highaltitude.
[16:16] <RocketBoy> jcoxon: - it looks like the launch tomorrow will land about 15Km south or Norwich?
[16:17] <RocketBoy> or = of
[16:29] <edmoore> jcoxon, fnoble : I'm not sure I can make it tomorrow
[16:32] <fnoble> edmoore, ok
[16:36] <jcoxon> hey all
[16:36] <jcoxon> RocketBoy, yeah i saw the forecasts
[16:41] <jcoxon> edmoore, oh no
[17:00] <RocketBoy> jcoxon: it looks like a slightly later launch might be better too
[17:01] <jcoxon> yeah i saw that
[17:01] <jcoxon> well i told the tower 10.30
[17:01] <RocketBoy> sounds OK
[17:01] <jcoxon> but you know how it goes
[17:01] <jcoxon> it'll be past 11 before we actually let it go
[17:01] <RocketBoy> yeah
[17:02] <gordonjcp> how quickly will it rise?
[17:02] <fnoble> jcoxon, anything you need me to bring other than the regulator
[17:02] <jcoxon> radio, yagi?
[17:02] <gordonjcp> I'm trying to get an idea of when I need to be somewhere quiet ;-)
[17:02] <RocketBoy> I was thinking I might shoot off after launch as a chase car
[17:02] <jcoxon> RocketBoy, okay
[17:03] <jcoxon> do you have decoder software
[17:03] <jcoxon> ?
[17:03] <jcoxon> oops forgot, truetty
[17:03] <fnoble> i am setup to chase now too
[17:03] <RocketBoy> should have somthing that works
[17:03] <fnoble> ive got the offline mapping etc working with your telem strings
[17:05] <jcoxon> cool
[17:05] <jcoxon> oops, don't ever run kermit in kermit
[17:05] <jcoxon> its impossible to escape from
[17:07] <edmoore> you need miss piggy to bash it round the face
[17:07] <edmoore> that resets it
[17:09] <jcoxon> i'll try that next time :-)
[17:10] <RocketBoy> BTW guys I now have 1500g balloons in stock
[17:12] <edmoore> how much?
[17:13] <edmoore> fnoble: I may put non-standard-issue libraries for eagle in their own folder in the repo, so we can dynamically link that folder to the library folder in eagle and have it up to date automagically
[17:14] <fnoble> edmoore, i am already doing that
[17:14] <fnoble> :p
[17:14] <fnoble> the non std libs are in "support files"
[17:15] <edmoore> yes, but they're not just libs
[17:15] <RocketBoy> they work out at about £67
[17:16] <fnoble> ok, well if you want them in their own folder then do so
[17:16] <fnoble> make sure you remove/move the old libs though so there is not a duplication
[17:16] <ShellEvil> RocketBoy: do you have a website of any sort?
[17:17] Ei5GTB_ (n=Paul@78.16.182.245) joined #highaltitude.
[17:17] <edmoore> naturally
[17:17] <ShellEvil> I have 65Kg balloons in stock. Only 20 quid. Made of prime quality OSB.
[17:18] <ShellEvil> Some critics may claim they are toy cabinets.
[17:18] Action: ShellEvil is making shelving.
[17:19] <fnoble> edmoore, we are so close to having the wealder going
[17:19] <fnoble> only beit we need now is the wealding head
[17:21] <edmoore> cool - where's that coming from?
[17:22] <fnoble> america
[17:22] <fnoble> was much cheaper than buying from the uk even with shipping
[17:23] <fnoble> then we can make some huge zps :)
[17:24] <edmoore> awesome
[17:24] <edmoore> when are we flying squid?
[17:24] <fnoble> i think we shouldnt bother
[17:24] <edmoore> also RocketBoy: can we reserve a 1.5 for Badger 1.2's maiden?
[17:24] <edmoore> I guess it's better being pretty
[17:25] <fnoble> well, although its high performance, we have got much better at making balloons
[17:25] <fnoble> and i think its really too delicate and too damaged already
[17:25] <fnoble> also its a bit of CUSF history
[17:26] <edmoore> pffff.
[17:26] <fnoble> and can only take a 300gm payload
[17:26] <edmoore> we build stuff to fly stuff
[17:26] <edmoore> well maybe we can keep it for fresher's faire
[17:27] <fnoble> yeah, but i dont think it will work
[17:27] <edmoore> I'm putting high current cutdown channels on the pcb for 1.2. There's room now, and it keeps it atlas-able
[17:27] <fnoble> well, it may work, but its not worth the risk if in a single day we could make a better, bigger, stronger balloon by hand
[17:28] <fnoble> and with the weld-o-tron we could do it even quicker
[17:28] <edmoore> yes yes true
[17:29] <fnoble> edmoore, how many channels?
[17:29] <edmoore> well
[17:29] <fnoble> edmoore, and what about the caps? they fit on?
[17:29] <edmoore> I've got this 24tssop i2c IO exapnder
[17:29] <edmoore> fnoble: yes
[17:29] <edmoore> with gives 16 channels of IO
[17:30] <edmoore> 2 per pyro - continuity check and fire
[17:30] <edmoore> but also want to keep a third channel for an LED to show continuity for each channel. So I can fit 5 on.
[17:31] <fnoble> all powered off one cap?
[17:31] <edmoore> The LED's a just digital outputs so they can be anything - I'm having just 1.25mm molex connectors on the actual PCB, but then wires to chassis mount connectors for the interface plate
[17:31] <edmoore> fnoble: yeah - I'm assuming there'll be at least 1 sec between each pyro fire
[17:31] <fnoble> yup
[17:32] <fnoble> edmoore, remember to document as you go
[17:32] <edmoore> so the interface plate will have spring terminals on it and a nice flush LED above each terminal
[17:32] <fnoble> edmoore, the wires attach to the molex? or streight to the pcb?
[17:32] <edmoore> you've no idea how annally this is documented :p
[17:32] <edmoore> to the molex
[17:32] <fnoble> ok
[17:32] <edmoore> they're the tiny half-pitch ones
[17:32] <fnoble> yup
[17:33] <edmoore> still good for a coupla amps
[17:33] <edmoore> these IO expanders are good news I think. They make for much nicer and tidier routing jobs
[17:33] <edmoore> Still, only using the one atm
[17:34] Ei5GTB (n=Paul@213-202-138-126.bas502.dsl.esat.net) left irc: Connection timed out
[17:51] <RocketBoy> edmoore: OK on the 1500g
[17:52] <RocketBoy> Anyone any idea where I can get the IDC header that mates with the Lassen IQ connector?
[17:52] <ShellEvil> RocketBoy: IIRC sparkfun carry it
[17:53] <RocketBoy> I'll check but I didn't see it
[17:55] <ShellEvil> Digikey probably carry it - but their search for IDC stuff is horribly broken.
[17:59] <ShellEvil> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=170
[18:09] <RocketBoy> yeah thats the surface mount connector - as was afeter the one on page 22 of http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/Lassen%20iQ_Reference%20Manual.pdf
[18:12] <RocketBoy> or any 4 x 4 double row 1.27mm pich header woud do
[18:19] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[18:21] jnd (n=jenda@unaffiliated/jnd) joined #highaltitude.
[18:41] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) joined #highaltitude.
[18:52] RocketBoy (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) left irc: "Leaving"
[18:57] akawaka (n=akawaka@external.treyarch.com) joined #highaltitude.
[18:58] fuzzylugnuts (n=hush@c-68-34-212-42.hsd1.tn.comcast.net) joined #highaltitude.
[18:58] <fuzzylugnuts> Heya
[18:58] <fuzzylugnuts> fnoble: that lot at the auction went for 700 : (
[19:00] soneil (n=soneil@89.100.243.212) joined #highaltitude.
[19:10] <fuzzylugnuts> lets send some balloons into the bermuda triangle
[19:13] <ShellEvil> fuzzylugnuts: :(
[19:13] <ShellEvil> rock: there is no need
[19:13] <ShellEvil> rock: take a ...
[19:13] <ShellEvil> oh
[19:13] icez (n=icez@unaffiliated/icez) joined #highaltitude.
[19:14] <fuzzylugnuts> I was thinking.... NIM modules or......... a kayak...
[19:14] <fuzzylugnuts> the kayak won.
[19:17] <fnoble> hehe
[19:17] <fnoble> good choice
[19:17] <fuzzylugnuts> http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/day_touring/manitou_14_recycled.shtml
[19:17] <fuzzylugnuts> that one
[19:17] <fnoble> i bet kyaking is fun
[19:18] <fuzzylugnuts> oh man, it is.
[19:19] <fuzzylugnuts> I pack up my gear for the weekend and paddle up the river here, camp in a hammock on shore, that sort of thing
[19:20] <fnoble> awesome
[19:20] <fuzzylugnuts> but I'm waiting for the freaking VX-8R to come out x_x
[19:21] Action: fuzzylugnuts freezes himself until late september when the 8r is supposed to be released
[19:22] <fnoble> looks like a nice radio :)
[19:22] <fuzzylugnuts> Yeah, aprs built right in, too
[19:23] <fuzzylugnuts> I'm going to use it in the car as a mobile with an amp on it
[19:41] <edmoore> 'built right in'
[19:41] <edmoore> It's odd, that phrase
[19:41] <edmoore> steve jobs says it a lot
[19:41] <edmoore> as opposed to 'built in'
[19:41] <edmoore> as if the integration is part of the very core, the very soul of the silicon you're etching
[19:46] <fuzzylugnuts> it is
[19:46] <fuzzylugnuts> love is in there too
[19:46] <fuzzylugnuts> in the heart of the silicon
[19:52] <edmoore> only pretty people are good at singing
[19:52] <edmoore> and ugly people cannot carry a tune
[19:53] <edmoore> this is the conclusion I reach based on the X-factor dataset
[20:09] <fuzzylugnuts> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250286247397
[20:11] <fuzzylugnuts> it says the item is at my old address ;_; I hope I can change that
[20:25] doug_ellison (n=djelliso@87-127-121-8.no-dns-yet.enta.net) joined #highaltitude.
[20:30] <doug_ellison> What do we think of the -24hrs predict on Wyoming then? I've never been to Norwich before :)
[20:34] <fuzzylugnuts> did you folks fly yet?
[20:35] <edmoore> tomorrow at 10.30 GMT+1
[20:35] <edmoore> I can't make it, annoyingly
[20:35] <fuzzylugnuts> aww
[20:35] <fuzzylugnuts> well good luck
[20:44] borism_ (n=boris@195-50-197-166-dsl.krw.estpak.ee) joined #highaltitude.
[20:49] <fuzzylugnuts> I was half way through setting up a sale for a shielded PMT, and broke down and couldn't sell it
[20:49] <fuzzylugnuts> its too nice
[20:50] doug_ellison (n=djelliso@87-127-121-8.no-dns-yet.enta.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[20:50] borism (n=boris@195-50-205-44-dsl.krw.estpak.ee) left irc: Read error: 145 (Connection timed out)
[21:13] fuzzylugnuts (n=hush@c-68-34-212-42.hsd1.tn.comcast.net) left irc: "poof!"
[21:16] <edmoore> http://vimeo.com/1587990
[21:17] borism (n=boris@195-50-205-117-dsl.krw.estpak.ee) joined #highaltitude.
[21:17] <jcoxon> edmoore, so nice
[21:18] <fnoble> jcoxon, its just the beginning :)
[21:18] <fnoble> when the welder is done things will start to hot up i think
[21:18] <edmoore> can't wait to fly some bigguns
[21:19] <edmoore> start doing proper altitude records
[21:19] <fnoble> yeah
[21:19] <fnoble> hopefully before the summer is out we will have flown a reasonable sized zp
[21:20] <edmoore> well 1.1 is servicable, as the saying goes
[21:20] <fnoble> have you seen the new photos on the front page
[21:20] <edmoore> ha at last
[21:21] <edmoore> very nice
[21:21] <fnoble> iain did it
[21:21] <edmoore> I reckon we should loose the white lines
[21:22] <jcoxon> fnoble, fixed the gsm
[21:22] <edmoore> and just have a fixed background
[21:22] <jcoxon> it works now :-p
[21:22] <fnoble> jcoxon, cool
[21:22] <jcoxon> right everything works now
[21:22] <edmoore> also fix the width and centre
[21:22] borism_ (n=boris@195-50-197-166-dsl.krw.estpak.ee) left irc: Read error: 145 (Connection timed out)
[21:22] <edmoore> to 1024 or something
[21:23] <fnoble> edmoore, yeah we need a redesign, but we decided to get the content a biit better first
[21:23] <edmoore> content is really coming along. the media page is great
[21:23] <fnoble> the about, nova and martlet pages have been updated
[21:23] <jcoxon> looks like we are going to be driving towards norwich tomorrow
[21:23] <fnoble> cool
[21:25] <jcoxon> just running a loop now
[21:25] <jcoxon> at teh end of the loop i'll upload the image received through sstv
[21:25] <edmoore> arrgh. If we're going to just scale full-size pics for the news page, we should at the very least make them a hyperlink to the full-size, as some sort of repentence
[21:25] <jcoxon> even though its fake its soo cool
[21:27] <fnoble> edmoore, yeah i know we should be iain has been doing it and he hasnt done any html before
[21:27] <fnoble> he was asking me about the best way to do it
[21:27] <fnoble> will change it soon
[21:27] <edmoore> "Advanced computer modelling and prototyping has begun and will run through the course of this year" giggle
[21:28] <fnoble> well iains model is really quite advanced
[21:29] <fnoble> it basically does everything that rocksim and hypercfd do
[21:29] <fnoble> he rekons it is fairly good up to like mach 3
[21:29] <jcoxon> fnoble, did you get multimon to work?
[21:29] <fnoble> jcoxon, ive installed it :)
[21:30] <edmoore> I guess it's relative
[21:30] <fnoble> i havnt been able to test it yet
[21:30] <jcoxon> i've posted an example mp3 if you want
[21:30] <fnoble> how can i play the mp3 into multimon?
[21:30] Simon-MPFH (n=simon@phantom.mpfh.co.uk) left irc: "Leaving"
[21:30] <jcoxon> not sure :-p
[21:30] <fnoble> does it contain a few lines of telem?
[21:30] <jcoxon> yeah
[21:31] <fnoble> cool, ill try and sort something out
[21:31] <jcoxon> but actually
[21:31] <jcoxon> its teh time but with 0.00000 for long and lat
[21:31] <jcoxon> didn't have a lock
[21:31] <fnoble> actually i could just put a cable between the mic and headphone ports :)
[21:31] <fnoble> jcoxon, thats ok
[21:31] <fnoble> will be enough for me to test
[21:38] <jcoxon> fnoble, edmoore check the tracker
[21:38] <edmoore> jcoxon: I think I will come up tomorrow
[21:39] <jcoxon> amazing
[21:39] <fnoble> edmoore, and stay for the chase?
[21:39] <fnoble> jcoxon, so you wil be streaming a webcam of the launch?
[21:40] <jcoxon> yup
[21:40] <fnoble> sweet
[21:40] <jcoxon> see the fake image at the top
[21:40] <fnoble> jcoxon, yeah its really neat
[21:40] <edmoore> fnoble: yeah
[21:41] <fnoble> edmoore, yey! :)
[21:41] <jcoxon> one day that'll be live
[21:41] <edmoore> but... If there's someone else chasing in their car, that'd be good
[21:42] <jcoxon> steve plans to
[21:42] <edmoore> cos I'm suffering on the old petrol atm
[21:42] <jcoxon> also i'll follow afterwards
[21:43] <fnoble> ok, i best go to the ifm before it gets too late
[21:43] <fnoble> brb
[21:45] SpeedEvil (n=root@mauve.plus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[21:52] <jcoxon> right done
[21:52] <jcoxon> all set
[21:53] <jcoxon> back in a bit
[21:59] <edmoore> jcoxon: when is the launch set for?
[22:01] <akawaka> what was the final decision on the camera?
[22:02] <akawaka> i wonder do cameras ever try to talk to sdcards in spi mode
[22:02] <akawaka> you could make a hardware sdcard emulator
[22:03] <edmoore> they probably don't as it'd take about 15s to write a jpeg
[22:04] <akawaka> they probably don't in normal operation, but i wonder if they support it as a fallback
[22:04] <akawaka> probably not
[22:05] Hiena (n=Hiena@81.93.195.181.datatrans.hu) left irc: "-=Halt! Hammerzeit!=-"
[22:05] <SpeedEvil> There exist SD cards with wifi in.
[22:05] <SpeedEvil> That share the pics onboard with a computer.
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> It's linked off the wikipedia article on SD.
[22:06] <SpeedEvil> Not cheap tho.
[22:06] <edmoore> ...
[22:07] <edmoore> you could.......
[22:07] <edmoore> use the spi on the gumstix and hardwire direct onto the sd card
[22:07] <edmoore> and then suck the jpegs off over spi in between writes from the camera
[22:08] <edmoore> you'd have to write a new driver
[22:12] Laurenceb (n=Laurence@host86-133-69-206.range86-133.btcentralplus.com) joined #highaltitude.
[22:12] <Laurenceb> hi all
[22:12] <Laurenceb> is the launch still on?
[22:25] G8KHW (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) joined #highaltitude.
[22:28] <edmoore> Laurenceb: yes
[22:29] <Laurenceb> cool, 4D spacetime location?
[22:30] <Laurenceb> I will hopefully be able to get a lift down :-D
[22:31] <Laurenceb> edmoore: good idea with the SD card
[22:31] <edmoore> Laurenceb: Churchill, but time seems to keep drifting
[22:31] <Laurenceb> ah perfect
[22:32] <Laurenceb> 11am ?
[22:32] <edmoore> i think the official word was to meet at 10.30 or something
[22:32] <edmoore> for a launch at 11.30
[22:32] <edmoore> or whatever
[22:32] <edmoore> I don't know
[22:32] <Laurenceb> I see
[22:32] <Laurenceb> It'll depend how early I can drag myself out of bed :D
[22:32] <Laurenceb> ~ 2 hours to cam from here
[22:33] <Laurenceb> so I'll set my alarm for 8am - I should mange that ok
[22:34] <Laurenceb> guess you just have to be careful with that sd trick as you have two masters on the spi bus, but some resistors will solve it
[22:35] <Laurenceb> I tried it with an AVR ages ago - but not with the camera running at the same time
[22:37] <edmoore> yeah
[22:37] <edmoore> you'd have to time the photo-taking right
[22:39] <Laurenceb> set DDR to 0x00 when the camera was operating
[22:40] <Laurenceb> and put some 500 ohm resistors in the to avoid the risk of inadvertently frying stuff
[22:42] <gordonjcp> hello
[22:43] <Laurenceb> hi
[22:47] <jcoxon> hey hey
[22:48] <gordonjcp> http://www.strathavenballoonfestival.co.uk/events.html
[22:48] <gordonjcp> ^ went to see if they were doing the Night Glow but it was pissing down
[22:48] <Laurenceb> night glow?
[22:49] <gordonjcp> http://www.strathavenballoonfestival.co.uk/nightglow.html
[22:49] <jcoxon> okay guys
[22:49] <jcoxon> here is the plan
[22:49] <edmoore> yes yes yes
[22:49] <jcoxon> aim for a launch at 10.30 (but possibly more like 11)
[22:49] <jcoxon> Doug and I are meeting quite early at 8.30 to fit everything together
[22:49] <gordonjcp> ok
[22:49] <jcoxon> the rest at 9.30?
[22:50] <edmoore> I will get there at about 9
[22:50] <jcoxon> okay
[22:50] <jcoxon> payload wise:
[22:50] <edmoore> but will be enjoying the steinway for a bit
[22:50] <jcoxon> GSM works, Radio packet and sstv work
[22:50] <Laurenceb> I'll try of 9.30 to 10
[22:50] <Laurenceb> usual location at churchill?
[22:50] <jcoxon> however camera doesn't so there will be a test image
[22:50] <jcoxon> which will go through all the processing as if it had come off the camera
[22:51] <jcoxon> an example is on the tracker
[22:51] <jcoxon> also the radio beacon is working
[22:51] <jcoxon> and then there is doug's camera
[22:51] doug_ellison (n=djelliso@87-127-121-8.no-dns-yet.enta.net) joined #highaltitude.
[22:51] <jcoxon> speak of the devil
[22:51] <doug_ellison> ta daaa
[22:52] <jcoxon> doug_ellison, i'm all set
[22:53] Andrew_Cooper (n=chatzill@amc96.quns.cam.ac.uk) joined #highaltitude.
[22:53] <jcoxon> doug_ellison, oooo we need to make some "If found cards"
[22:54] <doug_ellison> Ditto - two huge boxes of crap sat in the hall :)
[22:54] <doug_ellison> Ahh - yeah - one for each side
[22:54] <jcoxon> did you see the test image on the tracker?
[22:54] <doug_ellison> Yup
[22:55] <jcoxon> cool
[22:56] <jcoxon> meet at 8.30 still, rest at 9.30
[22:56] <fnoble> jcoxon, i have some laminated if found cards in the stuff i took from the ifm
[22:56] <fnoble> but they have my number and iains email on them
[22:56] <jcoxon> doug is putting sometogher
[22:57] <gordonjcp> how long do you reckon it will take to reach about 10km?
[22:57] <jcoxon> hmmm depends on how accurate we are at filling :-p
[22:57] <fnoble> jcoxon, Andrew_Cooper is a friend of mine from queens, is it alright if he comes along tomorrow to watch the launch?
[22:58] <jcoxon> of course
[22:58] <jcoxon> he'll be roped into helping
[22:58] <fnoble> jcoxon, are you going for minimal ascent rate?
[22:58] <jcoxon> hmmmm i think a normal ascent rate
[22:58] <jcoxon> the weather isn't perfect
[22:58] <doug_ellison> get up, get pics, get back
[22:58] <fnoble> ok
[22:58] <jcoxon> we aren't going to challenge the record
[22:59] <jcoxon> G8KHW, could you bring some cutdown pyros?
[22:59] <fnoble> how heavy are you?
[23:00] <fnoble> jcoxon, i brought up some aluminised mylar space blanket to superinsulate the radio like we did on nova6 iuw
[23:01] <jcoxon> the goliath produces a ton of heat
[23:01] <jcoxon> fnoble, 820g
[23:01] <fnoble> quite light
[23:01] <edmoore> that'll hit 30km at 3-4 m/s
[23:01] <edmoore> np
[23:01] <jcoxon> no second camera has brought the weight down
[23:02] <gordonjcp> in general I reckon I'll hear you once you're about 1 degree over the horizon
[23:02] <edmoore> do we have interweb tomorrow?
[23:02] <jcoxon> i've got 3g
[23:02] <edmoore> ok
[23:02] <Laurenceb> whats the resolution of the second camera?
[23:02] <fnoble> ive got my iphone
[23:02] <edmoore> moller has moller is we're cloe enough
[23:02] <jcoxon> Laurenceb, there isn't a second camera
[23:03] <jcoxon> had to dump it as it was unreliable
[23:03] <jcoxon> will get it working for a future flight
[23:03] <Laurenceb> ah
[23:03] Action: Laurenceb reads logs
[23:03] <doug_ellison> And next time, I'll put 12 cameras on it anyway that'll help the mass
[23:03] <jcoxon> i'll update my page later
[23:04] <Laurenceb> edmoore: are you coming along?
[23:04] <edmoore> yep
[23:05] <Laurenceb> kewl
[23:06] <Laurenceb> http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A39393
[23:07] <doug_ellison> Latest Wyoming predict with the 1800 data....
[23:07] <doug_ellison> just SW of Norwich
[23:08] <jcoxon> what was the burst alt?
[23:08] <doug_ellison> 24k
[23:08] <Laurenceb> sounds fairly good
[23:08] <G8KHW> jcoxon: cutdowns - check
[23:08] <doug_ellison> OH - I have pastries and muffins
[23:08] <doug_ellison> very important
[23:08] <Laurenceb> looks like the band of rain will just be leaving around 10am
[23:09] Action: Laurenceb is about to make some sandwiches
[23:09] <doug_ellison> Underweight payload = good. Underfed launch team = bad
[23:09] <jcoxon> G8KHW, 1.2kg?
[23:09] <Laurenceb> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/#no_url
[23:09] <G8KHW> check
[23:09] <jcoxon> cool
[23:09] <Laurenceb> looks like it'll be raining before 10am :-/
[23:09] <jcoxon> i think we are pretty much go
[23:09] <fnoble> jcoxon, do you have scales? ours are broken
[23:09] <doug_ellison> I have scales
[23:10] <Laurenceb> but its very light and faiding out
[23:10] <doug_ellison> 3kg in 1g's
[23:10] <doug_ellison> in the big box of 'stuff to take'
[23:10] <fnoble> doug_ellison, perfect!
[23:10] <jcoxon> scales that work?!?!
[23:10] <jcoxon> pah who needs scales :-p
[23:10] <Laurenceb> you can get some ok digital ones on ebay
[23:10] <doug_ellison> "does it want to take off yet? " "yeah" "good, let go"
[23:10] <Laurenceb> in fact I saw some 2Kg ones in sainsburys the other day
[23:11] <doug_ellison> Mine were ?14 I think from Asda
[23:11] <Laurenceb> ok time to eat/make food, bbl and cya all tomorrow
[23:11] <edmoore> doug_ellison: we did that logic once
[23:12] <edmoore> and it ascended at about 1:20
[23:12] <edmoore> only just cleared the roof of a building several hundred meters away
[23:13] <fnoble> doug_ellison, its useful to know your nozzle lift to get the most out of your balloon
[23:14] <edmoore> jcoxon: what's your cutdown logic?
[23:14] <jcoxon> edmoore, time
[23:14] <edmoore> ok
[23:15] <jcoxon> 2 1/2 hours
[23:15] <edmoore> blimey
[23:15] <edmoore> how big is the chute?
[23:15] <jcoxon> (to take into account turning on the waiting then launching
[23:15] <jcoxon> )
[23:16] Nick change: Andrew_Cooper -> andyhhp
[23:17] <edmoore> right, well I'll be going to bed soon if I've getting there earlyish
[23:17] <doug_ellison> The chute is about ...this big (holding out arms) - 30ish - 32 I think
[23:19] <edmoore> solid flat?
[23:20] <fnoble> edmoore, talking of chutes i have a meeting the beginning of next week with a chemistry technician
[23:20] <edmoore> oh cool
[23:20] <edmoore> going with the recipe
[23:20] <fnoble> edmoore, going to help us with the kevlar/kapton
[23:20] <fnoble> yup
[23:20] <jcoxon> hmmmm
[23:21] <jcoxon> anyone got any cover? like a gazebo?
[23:21] <edmoore> nope
[23:21] <jcoxon> cause if its raining its going to be a little bit of a problem
[23:21] <fnoble> jcoxon, there is churchill bar
[23:21] <jcoxon> true
[23:21] <fnoble> we setup in there usually
[23:22] <jcoxon> okay
[23:22] <fnoble> shall we meet in there?
[23:22] <jcoxon> yup that works for me
[23:24] <edmoore> ok, will be there about 9
[23:24] <edmoore> in some form or other
[23:25] <jcoxon> hehe
[23:25] <jcoxon> i'll be on my mobile
[23:25] <jcoxon> and will get online asap
[23:26] <edmoore> there's wireless in churchill bar
[23:27] <jcoxon> yeah
[23:28] <edmoore> ok, see you 2morrow
[23:28] <fnoble> night edmoore
[23:28] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) left irc:
[23:31] <doug_ellison> Screw balloons - I just saw an advert for Thomas the Tank Engine World on ITV. I want to go there instead.
[23:32] <jcoxon> haha
[23:33] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[23:33] <G8KHW> OK - CU tomorrow guys - text if you need me to bring anything else.
[23:33] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) left irc: Client Quit
[23:35] G8KHW (n=Steve@217.47.75.27) left irc: "Leaving"
[23:35] edmoore (n=edmoore@88-212-167-121.rdns.as8401.net) joined #highaltitude.
[23:46] andyhhp (n=chatzill@amc96.quns.cam.ac.uk) left irc: "ChatZilla 0.9.83 [Firefox 3.0.1/2008070208]"
[23:59] <Laurenceb> back
[00:00] --- Sun Aug 24 2008